forum

What was the most overhyped/overrated anime you have seen?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Apex_old
First, of all Overrated≠Overhyped≠Worst.

Overrated means something that has too much scores. This word is often used when comparing statistics. E.g. Steins;Gate has a score of 9.17, and a #3 rank, while I was expecting a 8.8, but that doesn't mean it's overhyped or it's the worst. It just means it just has too high marks.

Overhyped means something has too much hype, fans, or focus. This focuses more on people than scores. E.g. SAO has a lot of fans, but it has a very bad mark and score, so it's not overrated, and it's not really the worst when you compare it to School Days. It just means it has to much hype.

Worst just means the worst.

Overrated: Steins;Gate(0.37 points above estimation)

Overhyped: Bleach, Naruto.
Backfire
Attack on Titan for both and all. Same with SAO.
Stefan
Overhyped: SAO, One Piece
Knarf
Sword Art Online again
It is just a piece of crap. :P
warwolfz
Attack on Titans
deadbeat
K-ON
Mogsy
Overhyped: Clannad, Angel Beats (I don't hate Angel Beats, not at all, but it's a bit of a mess).

Overrated: Sword Art Online, K-ON, Yuru Yuri.
Lance
Your favorite anime. That and Yuru Yuri. Looking back I don't see what the attraction was. Was rather boring.
Vyscosity
Overrated: SnK/SAO, oregairu, haganai, Toradora!

Overhyped: also SnK/SAO, oreimo, Chuu2
Zerostarry
SAO and Shingeki no Kyojin
Varetyr
same as above
Kanade4Life
sword art online..~
mathexpert
K-ON! (yes :P), SAO, Oreimo, angel beats, higurashi, mirai nikki, haruhi

I like many of these animes (especially angel beats & haruhi), but imo they're not the masterpieces as many think they are.
Faust
Boku no Pico.
chaee
Shingeki no kyojin.
Still love it though.
Synchrostar

Faust wrote:

Boku no Pico.
i should really watch this.

overhyped: SAO
Justykanna
Overrated: Probably Eureka Seven. Had a few points that were great but I really didn't enjoy it as much as others did. MyAnimeList gave it 8.31, I only see it as a 6.

Don't really have anything that's been overhyped all that much.

I fell in love with Sword Art Online, in part because I've been playing MMOs forever in bulk of Ragnarok Online and World of Warcraft. While it's not my favourite, I don't dislike it nearly as much as others.
dNextGen
SAO
K-on

worst shit japan ever invented
alanwz
definitely SAO
MiharuUwU
overhype angel beats just was not that entertaining or bring upon the feels as i had hoped it would

overrated sao aswell if only it didnt turn to shit...
show more