forum

Steel series mech keyboard 6gv2 good?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1
So I'm getting a new keyboard soon, and the 6gv2 mech keyboard has really caught my eye. So anyone have experience with this mech kb? I heard that its kinda hard to press the keys because it uses black switches, idk. I'd be nice if you could also suggest other cheap mech keyboards. Ty men~
Aqo
I've been using the 6Gv2 w/ blacks for over 2 years now.

Don't buy it if you intend to play osu. It's not good for osu.
Other than that, it's pretty good for regular typing.
Mathsma
Here is a pretty good, cheap, mechanical KB. It's fully mechanical with brown switches.

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFir ... ckfire+pro
hinamizawan
go for red switches they're the best switches available afaik
jesse1412

makkura wrote:

go for red switches they're the best switches available afaik
That's not a fact. I'll say it again, I prefer blacks to reds and I've tried both, personally I would recommend blacks.
pooptartsonas
6Gv2 can also come with red switches. I use the 6Gv2 with red switches and I like it. It's not flashy or anything and doesn't have all those weird features that some of the really high end gaming keyboards have, but it's a mechanical keyboard with excellent build quality (in my experience, at least). I used the same 2 keys for like 6 months and they never broke; I only switched keys because I didn't want to break them. I've also...taken out my rage on my keyboard by slamming my hand down onto it before and aside from a couple keycaps popping off nothing really happened.
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1
thanks guys. I'll see if i can get them in red :D
Oinari-sama
Where do you live?

If you happen to be in Sydney, there is this computer shop in the Capitol Square called Futachi that had all 4 switches of Ducky keyboard on display. You can try out and compare the switches yourself if you are up for it.

Mind you that my last visit to the shop was 3 months ago so I'm not sure if they still have them on display like that.
Dexus
I would actually recommend blacks instead of reds. It's like as if you were to get a piano, you'd use heavier keys to learn to play correctly. The heavier the keys are the better your results will be in the end. The least amount of resistance is best too, this is why I do not recommend anyone get anything other than linear switches with no tactical feedback. The tactical feedback will get in the way when you try to move faster and it will just waste your energy.

I can say from experience because I've had rubber dome, blues, browns, and reds.

I also recommend getting 40A-R dampeners and placing two in each key. The double dampeners will reduce the distance required to travel and make your keys more sensitive.

I'm currently using reds with dampeners as I've described and it works well.
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1

Oinari-sama wrote:

Where do you live?

If you happen to be in Sydney, there is this computer shop in the Capitol Square called Futachi that had all 4 switches of Ducky keyboard on display. You can try out and compare the switches yourself if you are up for it.

Mind you that my last visit to the shop was 3 months ago so I'm not sure if they still have them on display like that.
I live in Brisbane:(.
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1
Hopefully the stores will let me test the different switches. I'm probably going to get cm storm quickfire rapid online, since i can't seem to find it anywhere.
MMzz
Protip: Test as many switches as you can and pick what you find works for you.

Also nice username bro.
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1

MMzz wrote:

Also nice username bro.

I actually became very confused when i was browsing the forums and i saw your name, and i though it was me, lol. :P
Oinari-sama

MMzz wrote:

Also nice username bro.
I sense bromance...
/runs
d777b
I also have the 6gv2 in reds. I like it. seems tough, but Ive had it less than a year, so we will see.
Mathsma

d777b wrote:

I also have the 6gv2 in reds. I like it. seems tough, but Ive had it less than a year, so we will see.
Since this is a keyboard thread, what is the difference between the CM Storm QuickFire XT and the CM Storm QuickFire Pro? At a glance they seem to be exactly the same with the exception of the Pro having backlit LED keys.
Macacito
makkura is from my country
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1
l0l ended up with blackwidow 2013. It's lovely. ty my lovely pedophillians for your help.
Naikaze
...Did you really get BW 2013?
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1

Gatyaa420 wrote:

l0l ended up with blackwidow 2013. It's lovely. ty my lovely pedophillians for your help.
Topic Starter
Suave_old_1

Gatyaa420 wrote:

maal

Mathsma wrote:

d777b wrote:

Since this is a keyboard thread, what is the difference between the CM Storm QuickFire XT and the CM Storm QuickFire Pro? At a glance they seem to be exactly the same with the exception of the Pro having backlit LED keys.
the pro ones also have brown switches instead of blue switches; meaning they have the same tactile feedback effect and feel, but brown's are 20(?) grams lighter than the blue ones.