forum

Private chat "Player" is typing.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +259
show more
Rei Hakurei
maybe for client to client i support it, but as this is supports external chat, then let's wait
deadbeat
you're gonna be sad, when i tell you that this is a duplicate xD
and for some reason, i can search to find the original :<
Raging Bull
But now this one probably has more priority than old one? :D
NixXSkate

SnowStorm wrote:

clearly nobody is liking your idea so why did you waste 23 stars here
i think it's a good idea
deadbeat

Raging Bull wrote:

But now this one probably has more priority than old one? :D
no, it got denied iirc

edit: for what it's worth, i'm having troubling locating said request ;__;
TheVileOne
Lets just use this one. It's a good idea and I support.
XPJ38
The question is: does IRC -the protocol- support this feature? I am not sure.
[Luanny]

salted_nuts wrote:

Would be a good idea if osu!'s a chat software. But it's not. I don't see a significant need for it to be added.
My thoughts
DakeDekaane

XPJ38 wrote:

The question is: does IRC -the protocol- support this feature? I am not sure.
afaik it doesn't.

Even if it supports it, what's the point of knowing if the other person is typing or not?
TheVileOne
Because
some people
like chatting like this.

Myself included.
TicClick

TheVileOne wrote:

Because
some people
like chatting like this.

Myself included.
then they do not need a notification saying that they are about to send two more words
and then two more again
because they will do it fast enough
and again it doesn't even need a notification

I am certain of it
XPJ38

TheVileOne wrote:

Because
some people
like chatting like this.

Myself included.

Nah, it's definitely not a good idea :P
TheVileOne
I've never been silenced. I type like that only I type in half paragraphs.
Tshemmp
I'd like this.
puncia
I'm going to throw some star to this if someone confirm it's actually possible to implement this feature with IRC.
deadbeat
if this ever gets added, i am so just gonna type in something, then just go do something else >:D
Rei Hakurei
as the text input per channel is shared, so it would be hard to sync whether the client is:
- opening the chat
- opening the tab where PM with someone

sounds like sending a signal to other client that "{Someone} is Typing..."
deadbeat
t/46013
t/120192

wow, that was much easier to find now that i can search again >_>

though since the other support team members seem to want to keep this open, i'll leave it as such
Topic Starter
WingSilent
Still a cool suggestion to add only when you chat with someone and not into a whole channel. No negative points.
Mira-san
Another way to know if someone is ignoring you. gg.
Aquamarine
:!:

SnowStorm wrote:

clearly nobody is liking your idea so why did you waste 23 stars here
I'm adding 24 stars [divided by 2] only because of this post.
Kitsunemimi
I'm going to say no again on this one, because a) this type of feature isn't natively supported by irc and will require network + Bancho reworking and b) while I typically prefer having this feature on personal IM clients, it's a different story when you're talking to various people online. Sometimes I run into conversations where I need to think of what I want to say carefully, and the way it is right now, I can type out bits of my sentences while pretending to be afk/looking at another tab/otherwise not fully focused on constructing my statement. Now this may not exactly apply to all people but, uh... this does:
c) there's no space to put the 'user is typing' message. Unless you shove in a little "User is typing..." line in between your input line and the last line in chat whenever they start typing. But that would look really stupid because it would move all of the chatted text whenever the message appeared. If you don't want the chat to move and simply leave it spaced one line up, that doesn't work either because there's no medium, the chat interface is just one darkened area, and it would be inconsistent with the main chat in public channels. Instead of having the message at the bottom, and having a (...) thing appear on the right side when the person is typing, would also be inconsistent with the style of the interface, and right justified stuff sucks anyways. So the only place left to have the notification is on the chat tab, but the purpose of the chat tab colours is to indicate whether there's a new message, so having it flash to people who start typing would make it look like there's a new message already, plus it's so disconnected from where you're actually looking (the bottom of the chat), that people would never bother looking at it and it would be virtually useless anyways.

Basically, the design of irc simply makes this idea not work.
Synthox_old
NO!
I hate this whole "is typing".
Ruidoso
Why people are so "no way, not in your life" about this? It's a great feature, I mean why not
Kitsunemimi
Because of everything I just said, read it through.
420Guy
In my opinion it's a good idea.
So you can see when someone is typing something and don't have to watch for hours at the chat.
Kaeru
It might just be me, but I honestly hate when people know if I'm typing or not. Whenever I type something in and decide to erase it, and I think the other person may be watching, it's always quite awkward because the other person wants to know why I didn't say what I was going to.

It also may make people feel like you're ignoring them if you start typing something and suddenly stop typing. Those only just two of many examples of why I think this feature is annoying and unnecessary, and I'm really not even sure why some chat clients have this. I would much rather they didn't.

Wehzy wrote:

In my opinion it's a good idea.
So you can see when someone is typing something and don't have to watch for hours at the chat.
You'd have to be watching the chat anyways to see if they're typing or not. This would show up in the chat, no..?
abraker
Bumperoo!

You have no idea how many times I send a messages right before the other player sends me one and it becomes awkward. I want to know the other player is typing so I can know what how to respond to a full idea not to a partial idea.
Endie-
Yes please!
+1
Halogen-
I imagine this not being the most feasible due to being structured along IRC, but... if it's actually possible, then why not?
FrzR

Halogen- wrote:

I imagine this not being the most feasible due to being structured along IRC, but... if it's actually possible, then why not?
I was thinking of a server sided approach where the "typing" is sent to the receiver from the server as a private message, but that might disturb the flow of the conversation. Either that, or it will only work on the game.
Bara-
I like this, can be really helpful to prevent double conversations (though what also might happen is that both players stop writing then)
lilynya
Topic Starter
WingSilent
What about now ?
Are people still looking for this kind of feature ..?
Qiyana

Lumy wrote:

What about now ?
Are people still looking for this kind of feature ..?
Nice post
Pachiru
next time, add a "Read" facebook message if the player noticed your message lol
Luqanted
if this were to happen, i think the chat system thingy will change its appearance or something
Axon

Pachiru wrote:

next time, add a "Read" facebook message if the player noticed your message lol
Please no, if im ignoring someone i dont want them to know i read their message.
arviejhay
Again, this is requested and denied it many times. I already requested this but it won't happen xD
Seijiro
I see no pros, but no cons either, so I'd just go with my personal preference and say I don't like the idea.
show more