forum

Do you play any instruments and how good are you?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CEO_OF_FUN_
Just wanted to know if anybody had any musical talent on an instrument. I play the euphonium and the trombone, I'd say I'm pretty good. I'm auditioning for a pretty high level university/college next week.

what about you guys? :)
Apraxye
Wanted to try and learn the trombone in highschool but never got around to it. Played the snare drum really well in middle and highschool. Still have one to use every now and then since I just find it fun. Also good luck on your audition next week.
-Andrei-
i play flute and im decent. and im kinda bad at counting the rhythm
Neigdoig
I play guitar. I've specifically played Bossa Nova for about a year at this point (with an acoustic/electric, mind you). I also sing while doing this. I'm decent at it, but I'm still learning Waters of March by Tom Jobim. It's not the only one I can play, though.

Edit: There are more songs that I'm still learning, like One Note Samba, To Squash My Heart (When Translated), and Meditation.
NotRaffi
I'm pretty good at drums, most of the other instrument I play, I'm, not that good at
NekoTowel
I play the piano, mostly stuff ranging from Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Schumann, etc.. I occasionally also transcribe modern music I like onto piano.

On the other hand I absolutely dislike music grades/levels, not the tests themselves but what people treat them as, which ruins everything. I took the ABRSM tests when I was young and passed piano grade 7 in practical, and grade 5 in theory. But people's general reaction, such as my classmates, were: "Oh, but I have a grade 8 pass", "pffft, can you play Liszt?", "look at that 8 year old child, he can play better than you."

I am aware of the positive impacts and responses but those just ruined everything. To further worsen the issue, people with no understanding of making/playing music judge individuals solely with these "grades".
Helfy0
I can play piano(bad) and guitar(very good)
Topic Starter
CEO_OF_FUN_

NekoTowel wrote:

I play the piano, mostly stuff ranging from Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Schumann, etc.. I occasionally also transcribe modern music I like onto piano.

On the other hand I absolutely dislike music grades/levels, not the tests themselves but what people treat them as, which ruins everything. I took the ABRSM tests when I was young and passed piano grade 7 in practical, and grade 5 in theory. But people's general reaction, such as my classmates, were: "Oh, but I have a grade 8 pass", "pffft, can you play Liszt?", "look at that 8 year old child, he can play better than you."

I am aware of the positive impacts and responses but those just ruined everything. To further worsen the issue, people with no understanding of making/playing music judge individuals solely with these "grades".
Christ that's facts honestly, it's so cringe when people bring up that type of shit just to flex or to 'prove' their skill. It serves as a baseline for like auditions so they can get a basic idea of where you are or how much experience you have.

I must say though being in an orchestra and playing better than somebody with a huge ego feels pretty good lol
gamer13254
My dad is a musician so I've been exposed to music for my entire life. over the years, I've picked up guitar, bass, piano (a little bit), and drums.
Bo_Bandy
I picked up drums when I was 12, 21 now. I played in every school band that our school had, so I think I’m pretty versatile in my playing. For now, I’m mostly playing metal, prog, funk, and some jazz. I also play bass guitar but not nearly as well as drums, been playing very on and off since I was 16.
Neigdoig

Bo_Bandy wrote:

I picked up drums when I was 12, 21 now. I played in every school band that our school had, so I think I’m pretty versatile in my playing. For now, I’m mostly playing metal, prog, funk, and some jazz. I also play bass guitar but not nearly as well as drums, been playing very on and off since I was 16.
Did you happen to play Bossa Nova Jazz standards? I ask, because I play Bossa Nova (As mentioned in a previous post on this subthread).