forum

[invalid] #arts channel request

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Cloudchaser
#arts channel for people who like to talk about they artworks, draws, photography, music etc etc.

Why not?
there's #videogames :3 I think this is a good idea
Jacqli
Good idea
Cristian
Is going to finish like #english i dunno why, but well... good point
Marcin
I can't see this happening, after begging for #english, and it being rarely used afterwards.
deadbeat
i don't really see a huge demand for this
XPJ38
What's posted in the Art forum is mainly images. A forum is more appropriate for graphics than a chat imo.
Topic Starter
Cloudchaser
But it's useful if you need a quick comment or suggestion.
Stefan
Why should we use a chat where it's "harder" to see the picture (by clicking the links as first, etc.)? I am sure it won't be used properly. it just would be another (dead) channel which "needs" to be added but at all having no real use since way less people are active in these chats (except #osu, language channels) as in the forum.
Shohei Ohtani
It doesn't seem like much that would require its own subforum. I frequently look in IRC and very rarely have I seen any art discussion (The only one I've seen is when I've asked someone to make a sig for me :3)

So no support.
Drace
Well osu has potential for art, it's always great when a song has a great background. Having an art channel might encourage songs to have more community made backgrounds and what not. There's more useless channels already in anyways haha
Deni

Drace wrote:

There's more useless channels already in anyways haha
That shouldn't be an argument to add more (dead) channels.

As already mentioned I don't think people will actively use this channel. I rarely see people chatting about stuff like artworks, draws, photography ...
RBRat3
Well it may give a faster method of communication and a means to discuss skinning, troubleshooting and among other things that fall under the umbrella of art but how it's catered on the forum leads me to believe it will just end up as a dead offtopic channel.
Although I am curious what would happen if it existed...
Kitsunemimi

Drace wrote:

Having an art channel might encourage songs to have more community made backgrounds and what not.
Having extra channels has NEVER encouraged anybody to do anything. People always say, oh, it'll encourage them to post their questions in this channel, or oh, it'll encourage them to talk about video games in this channel.

Nobody gives a crap.

As sad as it is, it's the internet, and when it comes to online game chats, it's arguably the least civilized people will ever be. Just look at #osu.
If anyone wanted to talk about community made backgrounds, they'd talk about it in #modhelp.

Hell, even the "skinning, troubleshooting and among other things that fall under the umbrella of art" would typically go in #modhelp. #modhelp is pretty much just used for anything productivity related. It's fine that way, and it'll stay that way even if you add an #art channel.

Frankly, the only reason why any other channel has worked (language related channels, game mode channels), is because those languages/game modes have communities that exist outside of existing channels. In other words, #japanese people don't speak in #osu because it's english only, and #ctb people need a place where they can chat amongst themselves, instead of receiving the onslaught of shitstorms that occur in #osu whenever you talk about CtB. But nobody said that art people can't talk in #osu, #english, or #modhelp. In fact, as I said earlier, I think they fit perfectly fine for #modhelp. Adding an extra channel will serve no purpose because people can just continue to chat about art in those aforementioned channels.
The worst part is that barely anybody talks about it anyways (although I'm pretty damn sure it's not because they have trouble doing so in #osu or #modhelp). So that would just make the new channel even more dead.

....Sorry for ruining this thread with another one of my walls of text, but I thought I should explain myself for a request like this.
Drace

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Having extra channels has NEVER encouraged anybody to do anything. People always say, oh, it'll encourage them to post their questions in this channel, or oh, it'll encourage them to talk about video games in this channel.

Nobody gives a crap.

[...]
I was just expressing possibilities to give people something to think about, it was in no way a concrete argument. I agree, mostly, thus why I didn't give support.
Mithos
We should have #skinning before #art

If you can get enough people to say 'yeah we want #art', you have a better chance of getting it done,
420Guy
Well, it's a good idea but, i don't think it will work.
There will be only english people and some guys will troll this channel.
You can just start a talk with some guys in #osu! , then it's like #arts.
Kaeru
Truthfully, there aren't enough people that would use it for its intended purpose.
peppy
Way too much of a niche.
Stefan
Marked as invalid, reasons should be obvious and are stated on the first page.
Pawsu
we have the art forum, it's enough imo