forum

What instrument(s) do you play?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Moway
I play a few different instruments~

Piano - 18 years. played competitively through my school years, put less time into it when I went to college. I now play mostly for fun, and sometimes for various events for a bit of money.

Bass guitar - 10 years. Started in junior high for fun, played a bit more seriously in high school. Did mostly jazz stuff and also played in a few ska bands.

Cello - 7 years. Started playing around 4th grade I think, I stopped when I was a junior in high school to do other things. I played in school orchestra, and also played in some chamber music groups and quartets outside of school.

Ukulele - 4 years. Kind of what I've been playing lately as I haven't had access to other things. Started this in my first year of college and I play for fun.

I also play drums, upright bass, and guitar at semi-competent levels.
jyu
guitar (only classic, though) and currently trying to learn piano. i wish i could play violin
Elscar
I've been playing piano for about 10 years now but i am currently trying to learn how to play the guitar~
Ceph23
I'm a drummer at heart, but I also play guitar,bass, and the flute

Currently I'm studying how to play the piano. Though Trying to learn to play a new instrument without actualy owning the instrument is hard
Shiiv
Instruments in order of skill:

Violin (9 years, forced by parents at first, though I'm currently studying music to became some sort of musician)
Electric Bass (1 year, began in "high school")*
Piano (roughly 4 years, though only learning on my own, though I can play easy songs and/or accompany someone with chords).
Guitar (basic chords...)

Instruments I can play even though I haven't really learned them:

Harmonica
Percussion (Just about any basic rhythm instrument that doesn't require coordination skills)
alto-violin

I'm currently studying in the musics department at my local highschool too. I'm planning of becoming some sort of part-time musician, since I'm way too lazy to put much effort to it in order to become successeful.
[ Scarlet Red ]
Play the guitar (2 years....on and off occasionally). That is by far my favorite instrument

I play the viola as a school instrument, it's fun and all but I might quit because class isn't as cool as it was before *sigh*

I play the drums....not much like I don't have my own drumset but my friend does and I play it at his house

Tiny bit of electric bass

I love the keyboard, but I can't read the sheet music.

So I play a fair amount of instruments :)
Remi_Scarlet
Does anyone else play marimba here or am I just that weird guy xD

Actually, does anyone even know what a marimba is, lol (I legit have to explain what it is to every other person I talk to about it)
Ceph23

Remi_Scarlet wrote:

Actually, does anyone even know what a marimba is, lol (I legit have to explain what it is to every other person I talk to about it)
I would very much so like to know what that is. Sounds more like food than an instrument to me.
Mogsy

Remi_Scarlet wrote:

Literally my favourite mallet perc instrument, alongside the vibraphone.
Jarby

Mogsworth wrote:

Remi_Scarlet wrote:

Literally my favourite mallet perc instrument, alongside the vibraphone.
glockenspiel or bust
Remi_Scarlet
idk, you can't exactly play really melodic solo pieces on anything but the marimba unless you want to play ragtime 24/7 on the xylo.

Example of one of the great repetoire pieces for solo marimba, Variations on Japanese Children's Songs by Abe Keiko

Another example of a great standard in solo marimba rep, Merlin by Dr. Andrew Thomas

Fun fact, I've studied with both those composers. Extensively with Dr. Thomas. :D
Kaffekaka_old
i play ze ocarina
Sapphiire_old_1
i learned to play the flute at school but that was a while ago i guess i cant even play it annymore :/
Shohei Ohtani
There ARE pieces written for xylo, but it's kind of like if you're a sax player, you'd usually play rep written for Alto since the Soprano/Tenor/Bari/etc rep isn't really that huge

(Can't listen to it since I'm at a school computer, so I don't know if it's actually good, lol)

Also, to add onto my previous post, I am officially starting level 3 of my school's Piano Proficiency requirements. Am i cool now
BrokenArrow
I've been playing guitar for 5 years, I can do some standard stuff on drums (I didn't have lessons or anything, I just play for fun once in a while when visiting my friend) and I just recently started learning piano. It's hard doing it on my own so I might take some lessons as well soon :<
Nekuro
I can play guitar and i also can play piano a little because i'm still learning :P
ECDeadly
I play ze drums.
Ones that go, bum boom crash. For a year now.
I also play bass drum in marching band, thinking of moving up to snare.
Lastly, I play the epiphany of manliness, the flute.
D33d

BrokenArrow wrote:

I've been playing guitar for 5 years, I can do some standard stuff on drums (I didn't have lessons or anything, I just play for fun once in a while when visiting my friend) and I just recently started learning piano. It's hard doing it on my own so I might take some lessons as well soon :<
Take the lessons. They make a tremendous amount of difference, as long as the teacher doesn't suck completely.
hersa37
I play the flute, though it's a bit rough now since I haven't played it in 3 years
Indeed_old_1
Flute and a little piano, although I'm not any good at it
BoredPotato
I learned how to play the piano a few years back, but its been long since I've practiced. I'm pretty sure I've already forgotten how to play the piano.
Miseracy
I have played flute for 5 years :D
Probably, i will stop it next year for
preparing examination.
tokaku
A recorder. Yay
Shohei Ohtani

D33d wrote:

BrokenArrow wrote:

Take the lessons. They make a tremendous amount of difference, as long as the teacher doesn't suck completely.
If you're gonna take lessons, there's two kinds of teachers

1. The ones that teach you the instrument
2. The ones that teach you songs.

My brother learned songs when he played piano. So he couldn't really play scales at all and he actually couldn't read sheet music. He just knew how to play songs and stuff.

Make sure you get a teacher that emphasizes learning the instrument equally to learning songs.
Spec_old_1
used to play guitar, gave up on it though
Xanaehla
Major - Piano

Minor - Violin

:oops:
Rumby
I mainly play Drum. (mostly playing Dream Theater... by mostly I mean I'm playing all their repertory)

Then I play piano and compose on it with a program called Reason (using my keyboard as a control station).

I'm casually playing guitar, not good at it though.
Birdy
I'm probably going to start playing violin soon. It's still the best instrument ever.
Im so mad bro
I play the Violin. Many good times were had with the violin
Chamelo
I play piano.

It's like... 5 or 6 years already, but in the late year my skill is probably un-improved. ;_;
Sal32
Guitar mostly

But it's been 3 years and I never touched a guitar since then
mattitomatti
clarinet
Elzapatoverde
i used to play the Viola, but my notes in school began to descend so I stopped, after three years of playing it, been five years since then xD I play guitar now.
MrBakpao
guitar and piano is the best intruments for refreshing~
daredakke
Bass guitar first, electric guitar second.

Only been playing the bass for nearly half a year now, still learning but a lot of fun.
Aka
piano :c
IcyCurry
Witch Mercy
Piano since I was a kiddo.
I played the recorder also a loooooong time ago.
Guitar sorta =A=
ylikki
Mainly piano and guitar but I also play bass guitar and drums.
Aniitan
I can play all the string instruments and drums, I can say I've mastered string instruments. Mainly guitar and bass
show more