forum

[Archived] User Account Control

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PentaAsian
Explain the issue you are having:

Is there a way to get rid of the message of "Do you want this program to make a change to your computer?"

Is it reproducible? If so, explain the steps to do so:

1. Do something
2. Do something else
3. osu! explodes in a million pieces!

Include any relevant video or screenshots, and hardware information for hard crashes or lag issues:
silmarilen
peppy
When does it occur? Screenshots? Proper reproduction steps instead of copypaste?
Luna
I get this every time I start osu!
Would make a screenshot, but that's apparently impossible (While the popup is active, the Print Screen button doesn't work and programs like puush cannot be accessed).
It's just this generic Windows 7 message with application name, publisher name and file path.
Rawri
This is happening to me. Every time I launch osu it will run "osu!.exe -setassociations" and prompt for UAC permissions. The game will freeze until yes or no is pressed, but nothing different happens depending on whether it's allowed and the game will resume like normal.

TouchFluffyTail
Just seriously turn UAC completely off. NO ONE should have this terrible thing on, ever.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -on-or-off

i know nothing

^ I need computer training wheels that get in the way of normal use
peppy
You should _NOT_ turn UAC off. It is there to protect you and you would be insane to turn it off.
Winshley
From the command alone, you can see that osu! is trying to associate file extensions (.osz, .osz2, .osk, and .osr files) so that you can open those files by simply double-clicking them. That involves modifications on Windows Registry, and is the main reason why it requires Administrative privileges.

If you click No, the file association is simply not set, and the game will still continue to run normally. However, everytime you're going to run osu!, you'll be greeting with the same message again.

If you click Yes, the file association will be set, and for next time you try to run the game again, it won't prompt you to do it again since osu! always check for the file associations before assigning it.

It's alright to click Yes anyway, because not only that you won't be notified by the same message later, but also makes you easier to open those files in the future. ;)
Rawri
The associations are already set and work as normal. osu appears to be ignoring this and prompts to reapply them regardless.
Stealth187
i am getting the same uac popup every time, then i saw on another post someone asking if it was because they shift clicked the exe, i was curious what that did so tried it but that seems to fix it untill i run osu updater and the problem happens again consistently until i shift click the normal shortcut again. hopefully that is helpful (after shift clicking it appears to not show the popup again but i have only just tried it a few times without reboots or anything)
peppy
@Cleedy which OS?
Rawri
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

peppy wrote:

You should _NOT_ turn UAC off. It is there to protect you and you would be insane to turn it off.
I turn this off since it was a real bothersome on Vista before. Cannot live without it turned off too in Windows 7, so does Windows 8. And my comp never fucked up after I turned it off. For me it does nothing because it shows up every single time I open an application, even Disk Defragmenter, which make this feature useless.