forum

[added] Make CS/HP/AR/OD toggle-able in Mods

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4,126
show more
Aibou
If this is made, AR should not modify score at all.
HP can change your score, but it only by decreasing it. Increasing HP shouldn't increase your score.
CS should change your score if you're increasing CS, and decreasing it if you're lowering CS.
OD should increase your score if you're increasing OD, and decreasing it if you're lowering OD.

Since people often argue that higher AR is easier to read, we shouldn't reward that.
For HP, the map difficulty isn't really being increased, you're just punished more for mistakes, so it shouldn't increase score either.
CS can increase difficulty, so it should modify score.
OD can increase difficulty as well, so likewise, it should increase score.
-Maus-

[Aibou] wrote:

HP can change your score, but it only by decreasing it. Increasing HP shouldn't increase your score.
CS should change your score if you're increasing CS, and decreasing it if you're lowering CS.
OD should increase your score if you're increasing OD, and decreasing it if you're lowering OD.

Since people often argue that higher AR is easier to read, we shouldn't reward that.
For HP, the map difficulty isn't really being increased, you're just punished more for mistakes, so it shouldn't increase score either.
And how do you think OD would be increased in mania for example? Do you think peppy will magically create something that would let the game add LNs AND make them logical and playable?
Aibou

Transformau5 wrote:

And how do you think OD would be increased in mania for example? Do you think peppy will magically create something that would let the game add LNs AND make them logical and playable?
LNs? I don't play osumania, so I could be completely oblivious when saying this, but we could just make it more difficult to hit 300s.
Hemmi

[Aibou] wrote:

Modifying AR should definitely unrank, else it would make DT so much easier.
-Maus-

[Aibou] wrote:

Transformau5 wrote:

LNs? I don't play osumania, so I could be completely oblivious when saying this, but we could just make it more difficult to hit 300s.
LNS= long notes.
Aibou

Gunsillie wrote:

Never thought about this, this is definitely something we'll need to factor in. Maybe when DT and AR mods are used in combination, score is decreased?

Transformau5 wrote:

LNS= long notes.
Oh, alright. Care to elaborate as to how it's impossible to implement though? Aren't LNs already in the game? If LNs are the same as sliders in osu, make it so holding the notes have a tighter release time.
Keihyan
it sounds really great and I want this system to practice AR10
-Maus-

[Aibou] wrote:

Gunsillie wrote:

Never thought about this, this is definitely something we'll need to factor in. Maybe when DT and AR mods are used in combination, score is decreased?

Transformau5 wrote:

LNS= long notes.
Oh, alright. Care to elaborate as to how it's impossible to implement though? Aren't LNs already in the game? If LNs are the same as sliders in osu, make it so holding the notes have a tighter release time.
LNs are in the game, the game can't create them itself, though. Osu! doesn't have a magical sound recognition system, it doesn't know whether adding a long note here or there makes any sense, it can't tell the difference before making a jackhammer on spacebar or a trill on 2 rightmost columns OR a long note beginning in the same point another one finishes. That's a thing that was screwed up on autoconverts and would likely be screwed up here too.
trash aim_old
why is this not a thing yet

make every change result in unranked, it doesnt matter, but it would make multiplayer a lot more enjoyable with all this stupid 250+ bpm ar9 eyecancer
ziin

Blue Dragon wrote:

why can't you just accept that mappers want you to play the map this way, you're the player, you shouldn't be able to edit it in any way
some may argue that in guitar hero/ddr/stepmania you can change the speed which notes come

but osu! is a different game and you should deal with it
respect the mappers' choice

also, don't ruin old maps, please.
How can you respect the mappers' choice when you use 100% dim? Stop being a hypocrite. Visual settings killed mappers' choice.

I see no problem with this as a ranked mod. 0.3x score, plus/minus any gains from difficulty change and 10% PP, plus/minus any PP gains from the change in difficulty. Players who do not care about ranking (a small minority) will abuse this mod to enjoy the game and they will not affect any rankings other than having a ridiculously deflated rank. Players who do care about ranking (pretty much everyone else) will use this mod to practice/fix stupid problems with maps.
GhostFrog

ziin wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

why can't you just accept that mappers want you to play the map this way, you're the player, you shouldn't be able to edit it in any way
some may argue that in guitar hero/ddr/stepmania you can change the speed which notes come

How can you respect the mappers' choice when you use 100% dim? Stop being a hypocrite. Visual settings killed mappers' choice.

I see no problem with this as a ranked mod. 0.3x score, plus/minus any gains from difficulty change and 10% PP, plus/minus any PP gains from the change in difficulty. Players who do not care about ranking (a small minority) will abuse this mod to enjoy the game and they will not affect any rankings other than having a ridiculously deflated rank. Players who do care about ranking (pretty much everyone else) will use this mod to practice/fix stupid problems with maps.
to fix stupid problems with maps? How can you seriously say that? If you're not good enough to hit a tricky spaced single pattern in a map and use bigger circles to allow you to play it in a straight line, are you fixing stupid problems with the map? If you're completely incapable of playing squares and need to raise the AR in order to see the individual circles, are you fixing stupid problems with the map? If you can't pass a map because your accuracy sucks and you need to lower the OD, are you fixing stupid problems with the map? No, you're entirely changing how the map plays. While it's honestly probably a good thing that HR exists, it's an awful mod. The increased OD is good. It helps to separate people who can SS the map normally because osu! hit windows are pretty damn huge. Smaller circles are a mixed bag. It makes some patterns fucking impossible and barely changes some others, but people can just avoid using it on maps that have hellish patterns so it's okay. Increased drain is kinda stupid for HR to have with the way drain works in osu!, but meh. Increased AR on it is awful. It gives a non-map-dependent you-must-be-this-tall sign for any insane or above map (aka AR10 reading) that makes the map easier if you can read it. Flipping the map vertically is similarly awful. It doesn't make the map any more difficult objectively, while in some cases it can make difficult parts of a map easier for players. Flipping the map vertically switches the clockwise/counterclockwise orientation of patterns, which is a horrible thing for a difficulty-increasing mod to do when players have varying strengths and weaknesses in each direction.

So why did I just post so many words bashing HR? Because this mod is worse. You want to give people the option to selectively modify those settings in order to make maps easier/harder? No thank you. HR kinda sorta works because it's standardized. This mod would not be. We don't want a ranked mod that encourages people to edit maps to CS4.7 to just barely ruin patterns that would be MUCH harder to play on CS4.8 (yes, that is actually possible). We don't want a ranked mod that encourages people to throw AR10 (or AR9 on higher AR maps for people who can't read above AR9) on any map that they're not good enough to read - yes, reading a map at different ARs is a skill that 100% must be a part of osu! simply because of what aim is (if you disagree with this, think for a while about it and you'll realize why). This mod is (almost) everything wrong with HR but without the standardization that makes HR okay. The ability to change just the OD and keep the map ranked would be nice in theory, but is almost completely incompatible with how the scoring system works. Allowing for any of the other settings to be changed without making the play unranked is just flat-out wrong...except maybe hp but that couldn't be allowed to increase score anyway and should just give the same multiplier as NF.

Oh, and your thing about 100% dim is a red herring. If it were the mapper's choice to have fully white hit circles on a fully white background, for example, there would be nothing wrong with fully dimming the background because when you have a map in which it is literally impossible to see any of the hitobjects, you are no longer playing the same game. Yep, that's a ridiculous and extreme example, but what if instead of a white background, it was a very light grey that you could kinda sorta see the hit circles on? A very slightly darker shade than that? Very slightly darker than that even? At what point can you see the objects well enough to still be playing a game about moving your cursor to circles and pressing a button? There is no answer to that. While it's probably nice to play a map at least once with background/storyboard/video/skin/hitsounds chosen by the mapper, they're not part of what makes the map what it is. They're things that detract from the game for artistic purposes. Map settings, however, do determine what the map is. If you want to fix stupid problems with maps, feel free to do that with unranked plays rather than trying to get an abomination of a ranked mod to cover your inadequacy.

So yeah, let's get this as an unranked mod please.
ziin
Fixing stupid problems with maps is exactly that: making the beatmap enjoyable to the player by removing the aspects of the game they don't like.

you may see 100% dim as a red herring, but there are plenty of maps designed to blend in with the background, and I certainly didn't intend it to be a red herring since I see no moral difference in dimming backgrounds/removing storyboards and changing difficulty settings. Backgrounds and difficulty settings add artificial difficulty to a map.

This can absolutely NOT go for unranked because it encourages players to play maps without it affecting their score at all. This is what spun out used to do and why peppy made it ranked. If you have a valid reason why having this as a ranked mod is such an abomination (who does it hurt? who does it help?) then I'll listen to you.

As far as AR/aim: I disagree and I still haven't realized why so please enlighten me. Last time I checked, osu's motto wasn't [b]aim[b] is just a click away.
GhostFrog

ziin wrote:

Fixing stupid problems with maps is exactly that: making the beatmap enjoyable to the player by removing the aspects of the game they don't like.

you may see 100% dim as a red herring, but there are plenty of maps designed to blend in with the background, and I certainly didn't intend it to be a red herring since I see no moral difference in dimming backgrounds/removing storyboards and changing difficulty settings. Backgrounds and difficulty settings add artificial difficulty to a map.

This can absolutely NOT go for unranked because it encourages players to play maps without it affecting their score at all. This is what spun out used to do and why peppy made it ranked. If you have a valid reason why having this as a ranked mod is such an abomination (who does it hurt? who does it help?) then I'll listen to you.

As far as AR/aim: I disagree and I still haven't realized why so please enlighten me. Last time I checked, osu's motto wasn't [b]aim[b] is just a click away.
I already said why it's an abomination.

Relax is unranked but adds to your playcount (I just checked to make sure) and I assume this would do the same thing - and if it didn't, would that be a problem? To use your words, who does it hurt? This would actually encourage the opposite of what you're saying though - using this mod would be easier than making a diff with altered difficulty settings, so people would have more of their plays count towards their playcount rather than less.

"Artificial difficulty" is a fun little buzzword that people like to use to handwave away parts of a game they don't like, so let's break this down a bit using real words. Backgrounds/storyboards? That's artificial difficulty. A distracting background/storyboard is like giving someone special glasses to wear while playing that are actually just a really dirty pair of glasses with the wrong prescription. It has nothing to do with gameplay, it's just there to make the game more difficult. Difficulty settings? Not artificial difficulty with the exception of hp drain. HP drain doesn't make the game harder, it just decides (at times almost arbitrarily) that you're not doing well enough and causes you to fail. Mendes+HR, happy30 spinner maps nomod, etc. I fail to see how any other difficulty settings are artificial difficulty. CS is very obviously not artificial difficulty. OD is only artificial difficulty if you discount rhythm/timing as a part of osu! (which your final paragraph indicates is not the case). AR....this one's more complicated and ties in with what exactly aim is, so it deserves its own paragraph.

Let's get on the same page first though. Your "aim is just a click away" thing seems to indicate that you don't think osu! is about aim, but I hope we can agree that it's a legitimate component of osu!. In fact, it's pretty much the only thing that sets osu! apart from other rhythm games, so I'm going to assume that we can agree on this. Aim has a physical component and a mental component. The physical component is muscle memory. It's knowing by feel that going a certain distance across the screen requires moving your mouse or pen a certain amount or that reaching a certain spot on the screen requires moving your pen to a certain spot on your tablet. The mental component is everything else and it's exactly what we normally refer to as reading, but it's more than just "can you read this AR??". It's the obvious things like being able to figure out which note is next on low AR and being able to see notes in time on high AR, but there's also a component of reading that is 100% specific to aim - determining exactly where an object is relative to previous objects and/or relative to the rest of the playing field. THAT is the type of reading that makes people hate low AR. Having objects on the screen for longer and having more objects on screen makes it much harder to determine exactly where notes are, which makes it much harder to aim. However, this kind of difficulty is affected by....well, kind of a lot of things. It's affected by object density because the more objects there are on screen at once, the harder it is to focus on the specific one you want and to switch to the correct new object after. It's affected directly by AR in a way that has nothing to do with note density because holding an object in working memory longer before needing to use makes it more difficult to use previously-gathered information about the object to help your reading (this is why DT sometimes doesn't make aim as much harder as you'd expect despite having the same patterns and the same visual density of notes at 1.5x speed). However, it's also affected by things other than AR. High SV causes the same exact type of reading issues. Certain patterns (mostly ones containing wider angles with larger spacing) cause the exact same type of reading issues. The same type of reading that goes into being able to play a map at slightly lower AR is present everywhere and to discount it as a part of osu! is to reduce "aim" to "muscle memory". Sure, the purpose of increasing AR (in theory) is to bring the amount of this type of reading required for a map to approximately the same level as the amount of high AR reading required, but being allowed to do so as part of a mod that you want to get ranked as a way of removing "artificial difficulty" is utter nonsense. It's not artificial difficulty if it's half of the real difficulty of what sets the game apart from other games in the genre. Ultimately, most maps that get ranked have AR overtuned if the purpose of choosing an AR is to balance out the reading required across the two types. That's fine for individual maps if mappers want to do that, but that's exactly it - it's something the mapper chooses. If the mapper chooses to put a lower AR on a map, it's putting a form of real aim difficulty into the map that you would allow people to eliminate with this mod.

You're right that people should be able to remove aspects of the game that they don't like - but they shouldn't be able to do it and still have their plays be ranked. Calling it "fixing stupid problems with maps" is attempting to shift the blame from player skill to poor mapping decisions ("help help the circles are too small and I can't aim, this map has a stupid problem!!!"). If a map highlights your weaknesses and you don't like it, just don't play it.

/words
elgen
I would love to have this as an unranked mod, or one that halves the total score in a similar way to NF. It would be a nice thing to have to practice higher CS or higher/lower AR and being able to do so in multiplayer.
Mismagius

ziin wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

because AR and backgrounds affect the gameplay in the same way :^)
Calls me an hypocrite then proceeds to make one of the... least intelligent posts I've seen.
Let's fix all the stupid things in ranked maps by changing OD/CS/AR! it's not like AR reading has to be a skill at all! It's not like maps with high CS should be properly played, fuck that, let's just make everything easier for the player because this is what a game is about, right?
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

I already said why it's an abomination.
I guess I want an answer in one or two sentences. You write a story explaining why a ranked mod sucks but didn't explain why the ranked mod is OK (you just said it's OK because it's consistent). It's also a bit strange that you want a mod that is an abomination in your opinion added to the game.

GhostFrog wrote:

Relax is unranked but adds to your playcount (I just checked to make sure) and I assume this would do the same thing - and if it didn't, would that be a problem? To use your words, who does it hurt? This would actually encourage the opposite of what you're saying though - using this mod would be easier than making a diff with altered difficulty settings, so people would have more of their plays count towards their playcount rather than less.
I don't understand this point at all, sorry. Can you be more specific? For example: Ranked Difficulty Mod would ensure that players' accuracies, play counts, and score are accurately recorded. It discourages players from playing unranked which will generally cause skill level to increase without increasing recorded stats, resulting in inaccurate scores. It will not affect the majority of the top 100000 players rankings due to severe PP cuts. Unranked Difficulty Mod (which you support) would promote players to play without adding to their stats. It would essentially bring back spun out as an unranked mod, which was removed for a purpose. Personally I think relax should add to your accuracy, playcount, and total score.

GhostFrog wrote:

"Artificial difficulty" is a fun little buzzword.
Real difficulty is Aim and Rhythm. Everything else is artificial difficulty in my opinion. I think we fundamentally disagree here so it's useless to continue this line of discussion.

GhostFrog wrote:

Let's get on the same page first though. Your "aim is just a click away" thing seems to indicate that you don't think osu! is about aim, but I hope we can agree that it's a legitimate component of osu!.
Yeah, that was a red herring. Aim to me is the ability to move your mouse to the position of the next note. It is strictly 2 dimensional and entirely physical. When your "mental" component affects the ability of a player to see the next note it is made more difficult by a non-physical difficulty, and thus is artificial.

Blue Dragon wrote:

because AR and backgrounds affect the gameplay in the same way :^)
Calls me an hypocrite then proceeds to make one of the... least intelligent posts I've seen.
Please don't use sarcasm (I'm assuming), especially when citing intelligence. That's not an intelligent way to debate.

I can say in all seriousness that AR and backgrounds affect gameplay in the same way: they affect the ability of the player to determine where and when the next note is supposed to be hit. If you disagree with the underlined statement please explain why. This is why I think you are a hypocrite.
GhostFrog
The tl;dr version of why this would be an abomination as a ranked mod is that changing map settings changes the map in ways that mean you're no longer playing the same map. Well, that's true in the case of CS and AR anyway. OD, as I said in my previous post, could in theory be something that gets modified fairly by a mod, but assigning a value to it with the current scoring system would be awkward. HP increase couldn't give you bonus points and still be fair, HP decrease would need to be treated as NF in order to be fair. The reason HR is okay (and I don't think it's well-designed at all, but I don't think it's bad that it exists) is because it's consistent. Either you play the map nomod or you play it flipped with circles at a set size, OD set to a specific number, AR set to a specific number, and HP set to a specific number. Having this as a ranked mod would be a mess of choosing just the right difficulty settings to take advantage of exactly where difficulty spikes either objectively or for that specific person. It would not be possible to make it fair because of how different it would make maps. I want this as an unranked mod because it would be fun and there's no reason not to let people play whatever they want if it's unranked.

There is no such thing as aim that is purely physical and that's the point you're missing about real vs artificial difficulty of AR. If you wanted to minimize the reading difficulty of aim, you would need to set literally every map to AR10 and I can pretty much guarantee you that would not be comfortable to play. The ideal AR for a map for a certain person will balance out the skills required, not minimize either one. If the reading component of aim is "artificial difficulty", then maps you find comfortable to play are comfortable because of "artificial difficulty". You're hiding behind that term and it doesn't mean what you want it to mean. The reading component of aim is necessarily a real part of aim.
Fushimi Rio
Instead of improving their skills, they decide to take liberties with the maps.
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

Having this as a ranked mod would be a mess of choosing just the right difficulty settings to take advantage of exactly where difficulty spikes either objectively or for that specific person
Let's take Banned Forever to annoy BD:
It's worth ~200 pp nomod, AR8. Today this map wouldn't be ranked due to the low AR.

If I FC this with a ranked AR9 mod on, I would get 20 pp and 10 million ranked score. Anyone with the ability to actually FC this doesn't deserve full credit, just like spun out, nofail, or easy. If a player is this good already, they would get 0 pp as 20 pp is nothing when you can FC 200 pp maps. On the 1% chance they do get pp, it will be a good thing because they're obviously under ranked.

So if this is unranked, it will not affect accuracy or ranked score or PP, but will affect total score and play count. If this is ranked, it will affect accuracy and ranked score (not top 50), total score, and playcount, but not pp. Without this mod, the play will not affect anything and you can't play the map in multiplayer easily. People don't do this much because the process of changing these values is tedious. I agree with you that if it affected PP and top 50 it would be an issue.

I would prefer to not have this mod in the game if it were unranked as it would turn into the old spunout.
haha5957
>unranks AR7/8 map because it doesn't make sense

>calls AR a skill thus should not be toggle-able

good contradiction going on in this community.....

idk, either don't force mappers to use high ARs on hard maps OR make ARs toggle-able? I don't care which way you go(well i honestly prefer to have adjustable ARs but not too much)

Either let Extra diff map have AR7 or make AR adjustable. What is a decent AR? that mapper chooses it to be? maybe. But this mapping community obviously dislike AR9▽ on extra diff(even unqualifies it!) and at the same time you are calling AR part of reading skill.........

if AR is also a skill why is AR7 extra diff not rankable?
if AR is just matter of personnel taste why is it not toggle-able?

can anyone answer both at the same time?
ziin

haha5957 wrote:

1) It skews the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy. AR7 extra is not a balanced difficulty, just like easy mod is not a balanced mod.
2) It's not just a matter of personal taste. The powers that be want to assign a score to AR which they can change based on how well the community reads said AR. Any outliers are rewarded.
GhostFrog

haha5957 wrote:

>unranks AR7/8 map because it doesn't make sense

>calls AR a skill thus should not be toggle-able

good contradiction going on in this community.....
You're talking about 2 entirely different groups of people. You will find almost no one who realizes that reading is an actual osu! skill and yet doesn't want ranked maps to be allowed a wider variety of approach rates.

ziin wrote:

1) It skews the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy. AR7 extra is not a balanced difficulty, just like easy mod is not a balanced mod.
Guess we should just unrank all aim-heavy maps since they skew the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy.

A map with lower AR still requires rhythm and accuracy unless you're using EZ mod because it halves the OD. You just, y'know, need to be good enough to play the map in order for rhythm and accuracy to matter just like with any other form of difficulty. "Not a balanced difficulty" is such a bs excuse for anything. I assume you also never play any stream-heavy maps because they don't have "balanced difficulty" - your stream speed/stamina needs to be so much better than your aim needs to be in order to play them! But that's okay, right? You're just looking for any excuse to never have to play low AR, but I'll let you in on a little secret: you already don't have to and no one gives a fuck if you don't as long as you shut up about it. Now if you could be rational enough to stop insisting that you be given tools to get points for never playing anything below AR15, it would be greatly appreciated.
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

You're talking about 2 entirely different groups of people. You will find almost no one who realizes that reading is an actual osu! skill and yet doesn't want ranked maps to be allowed a wider variety of approach rates.
lol I'm one of those people

GhostFrog wrote:

Guess we should just unrank all aim-heavy maps since they skew the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy.
Only the qualified ones. Ranked ones have to stay, but the acceptable difficulty of AR is much lower than the acceptable difficuty of rhythm/aim. Rather than tell me why I'm wrong you could explain why ar7 extra isn't rankable. Remember that you don't rank any maps.

GhostFrog wrote:

Now if you could be rational enough to stop insisting that you be given tools to get points for never playing anything below AR15, it would be greatly appreciated.
Don't put words into my mouth. We don't disagree that this mod should exist.

The more I think rationally about this the more I think it doesn't matter. Ranked score doesn't matter at all (and would be barely affected). PP matters, but wouldn't be affected 99% of the time. I have no idea how accuracy is affected, but it's probably weighted with PP, which wouldn't be affected 99% of the time.

Literally the only thing that matters is that unranked mods are bad, and that topic has been beaten to death with spun out.
GhostFrog

ziin wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

Literally the only thing that matters is that unranked mods are bad, and that topic has been beaten to death with spun out.
Unranked mods can add to playcount now. Check your playcount, play a map with relax, check it again. I thought playcount was the issue with spun out back when it was unranked.
ziin
It was play count and accuracy. Since Accuracy is based on pp, then it only affects ranked score if ranked and would only be in the top 50 on maps people don't want to play because of the difficulty settings.

I don't care anymore as it doesn't matter. I just know that in the past unranked mods were requested and always denied.
haha5957

ziin wrote:

haha5957 wrote:

2) It's not just a matter of personal taste. The powers that be want to assign a score to AR which they can change based on how well the community reads said AR. Any outliers are rewarded.
Lower AR on insane+ diff means hard to read. right? Bascially, AR is there to help you play if you see AR as just a tool to balance the difficulty out. like, extreme hard maps should have at least 9.0AR or even 9.5AR, and lower diffs should have low ARs. Correct?

Extremely hard AR8 maps looks little weird these days. Insane diffs should have high AR, easy diffs should have lower AR because AR is to balance difficulty out, pretty much to help people. (I mean, AR9 on easy map is hard and AR6 on insane map is even harder!)

If you agree on this you should definitely agree on making AR both adjustable and rankable. Remember that AR6 is extremely hard on insane diff but makes sense on easy/normal diffs. AR is just a balancing tool here.

Now however, AR8 on extra maps makes it harder to read, and AR10 is just little too hard for some people who are not used to it. Thus, ARs are skills. Even though myself can play 7.0☆+ maps pretty ok with AR 9, most of them are AR10(can't play at all with it). so I need to improve my skill so i can read AR10!

People like me asking for adjustable AR is just a noob who can't read AR10! I should stop crying and get used to high ARs.

If you agree on this you should definitely agree on making AR7 extra diff rankable. Don't even say reading high AR is skill but low AR isn't here.

What are you?
ziin

haha5957 wrote:

What are you?
your 2 options are not mutually exclusive, so I think that most people in osu say neither. Also your logic that if I agree with A, I should agree with B is flawed.

I don't agree that lower AR on insane+ means hard to read in all cases. Most cases involve gobs of overlaps and strange patterns that only make sense on high AR, but I can play at least one approved AR3 insane map on hidden, and another AR0 Hard (unranked). They would be harder for me to play on higher ARs.

Usually when something is deemed "too hard" it is not rankable. AR7 Extra is usually too hard. You also have to take into consideration that when something has too low AR, it stops being fun for a lot of people. I think this mod would make the game more fun for more people, but the people who have something and have worked hard for it don't want it to go to waste (I suppose).

I thought I explained that well when I answered your questions, but I guess not.
GhostFrog
ziin, what would you suggest as the score multiplier for this mod if it were ranked? You mentioned a flat .3x multiplier, but that seems pretty unfair when you can, for example, use this mod exactly the same as EZ which has a .5x multiplier (but of course setting it to .5x would be bad because you can easily choose settings that would make the map easier than EZ mod). Probably some sort of scaling depending on how much you change map settings? What do you think?
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

ziin, what would you suggest as the score multiplier for this mod if it were ranked? You mentioned a flat .3x multiplier, but that seems pretty unfair when you can, for example, use this mod exactly the same as EZ which has a .5x multiplier (but of course setting it to .5x would be bad because you can easily choose settings that would make the map easier than EZ mod). Probably some sort of scaling depending on how much you change map settings? What do you think?
I say 0.3 because Ez is 0.5. Ideally easy should just let you choose difficulty settings with the defaults set as the current Ez mod.

However, since ranking has significantly changed since this discussion first started, it matters less. You said that hr is okay only because it sets everything as a standard and I agree with that. The same goes for easy,so if this is a separate mod, Ez needs to grant more.

I like where you're headed with the scaling idea, but I really think it shouldn't affect top 50 scores. And that sounds like it would allow people to set everything to 10 except cs while making top 50. As I said before, I don't care if it's ranked or unranked anymore as neither will affect accuracy play count or pp, which are the important stats.
Yabuki Nako
(Who cares about accuracy and play count wtf.)

Just make it unranked.
-Maus-
Am I the only one who lost track of that arguement above lol
jesse1412

ziin wrote:

It was play count and accuracy. Since Accuracy is based on pp, then it only affects ranked score if ranked and would only be in the top 50 on maps people don't want to play because of the difficulty settings.

I don't care anymore as it doesn't matter. I just know that in the past unranked mods were requested and always denied.
Just to clarify, if this was ranked then the player would get MORE pp for increasing od/cs/ar. Some of these things may in fact be making the map easier for the player. I don't know if you follow pp much or the ideology behind it, but it's intention is to be absolute (as in any set of circles will always give the same pp regardless of the mods applied). This mod would make abuse of the pp system relatively easy. Alternatively you want a new sub par mod that receives huge incursions for it's use for pretty much no reason other than "it's breaking ranking"; in which case it might as well be unranked, arguing that accuracy from having it be unranked matters is wrong because to make this mod fit in there would have to be pp reduction for it's use, in the case that the reduction is so adequte then the mod will never provide enough pp to significantly alter people's accuracy.

Making this ranked is AWFUL for pp, it DOESN'T effect accuracy in ANY case unless you create a mod where pp scales normally from map difficulty (sadly pp isn't perfect, there are map settings that can inflate pp to far beyond what it should be.

To argue that SBs and BGs effects the map as much as AR just makes me feel like you're joking. I can't even think of a reply to that.

Extremely hard AR8 maps looks little weird these days. Insane diffs should have high AR, easy diffs should have lower AR because AR is to balance difficulty out, pretty much to help people. (I mean, AR9 on easy map is hard and AR6 on insane map is even harder!)

If you agree on this you should definitely agree on making AR both adjustable and rankable. Remember that AR6 is extremely hard on insane diff but makes sense on easy/normal diffs. AR is just a balancing tool here.
AR shouldn't be adjustable BECAUSE ranked maps are already fitted to the players. Can't play the meta maps? YOUR fault, it's META, it's not like it's a "weird skill". For the maps with challenging approach rates, now you need that reading skill that oh so want to ignore. Stop playing out of your comfort zone and use hr if you can't handle low AR, use easy mod if you can't handle high AR. Your hand should NOT be held, this isn't hello kitty online circle clicker. You make this out to be a black and white situation, as mentioned by ziin it's not so clear.

ziin wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

I say 0.3 because Ez is 0.5. Ideally easy should just let you choose difficulty settings with the defaults set as the current Ez mod.

However, since ranking has significantly changed since this discussion first started, it matters less. You said that hr is okay only because it sets everything as a standard and I agree with that. The same goes for easy,so if this is a separate mod, Ez needs to grant more.

I like where you're headed with the scaling idea, but I really think it shouldn't affect top 50 scores. And that sounds like it would allow people to set everything to 10 except cs while making top 50. As I said before, I don't care if it's ranked or unranked anymore as neither will affect accuracy play count or pp, which are the important stats.
I'll be honest here, the fact that you want to have this mod appear on the ranking boards (potentially beating more impressive nomod scores) is the only reason I don't want it ranked. 0.3* guarantees nothing, this mod would only effect the hardest of maps in the game (which are already screwed up enough from halftime). I appreciate that you want to balance the mod but mods that make maps genuinely easier are VERY hard to balance with the way score in this game works.

A lot of this is subjective so here are the objective parts: This can't be implemented as a ranked mod without either harming pp or by being so useless that it's essentially an unranked mod (that plagues the top50's of hard maps with little FC's). This CAN be implemented while taking into account playcount, regardless of ranked status. This CAN'T really effect accuracy regardless of ranked status.
ziin

jesus1412 wrote:

To argue that SBs and BGs effects the map as much as AR just makes me feel like you're joking. I can't even think of a reply to that.
I never argued that they affect the map to the same degree, just that they affect the map in the same way: they limit the players ability to know when and where the next note is. If they didn't then everyone would be playing with background on and skins that included 300 hits.

Everything else I agree with more or less except for the use of the verb "to effect". Hooray English.
jesse1412

ziin wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

I never argued that they affect the map to the same degree, just that they affect the map in the same way: they limit the players ability to know when and where the next note is. If they didn't then everyone would be playing with background on and skins that included 300 hits.

Everything else I agree with more or less except for the use of the verb "to effect". Hooray English.
Just considering further, maybe ranked with a 0x multiplier could work, that way people can submit visible scores with it for mod specific leaderboards.
xxxafiqxxx
._.
Sebaex
The open source proyect (opsu!) have that option on all the elements (Ar/Od/Cs/Hp).
If osu! have that option, can be a perfect way to practise a map if you have problems with something from a song.
Obiously, if you modify something, the play need to be unranked
Dephix
im neutral on this
jesse1412

Dephix wrote:

why not ranked like in Hexis?
Discussed already, read through earlier posts.
ziin

jesus1412 wrote:

Dephix wrote:

why not ranked like in Hexis?
Discussed already, read through earlier posts.
actually it wasn't. It works in hexis because the game was designed that way. osu! only recently started allowing people to change/customize things. The community is fairly heavily entrenched in its methods and osu! is much more competitive than hexis.

Hexis is also accuracy based, whereas osu! is almost entirely combo based.
agubelu
Free AR should absolutely be a thing

I don't know if AR is involved in PP calculation, but anyway:

If it isn't, why shouldn't we be able to play in whichever AR we like?
If it is, why is it? High AR isn't necessarily harder and low AR isn't necessarily easier
show more