forum

[added] Make CS/HP/AR/OD toggle-able in Mods

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4,126
show more
vantheman
First thanks for taking the time to explain all that to me, it's more complicated than it initially seems, and it becomes sort of obvious that while not impossible, it'd be asking the developer for a lot of their time trying to make it happen. While it'd be nice, "more" points isn't the exact thing that I want or care about or even the reason I come to this thread, it's being able to play things at higher OD and CS(separate from AR, it's why I can't use hardrock) to challenge myself on those specific points on the maps I enjoy, without losing the benefits of ranked play

So new idea, if all we want to do is incrementally move up OD and CS (or HP for the people who are into that) to custom values, is there a reason to unrank the play? Deliberately leaving AR away from the idea because higher AR is easier for some and that's a good reason to unrank it.
But I don't know why anybody would say a higher OD and/or a higher CS was an easier score so there'd be no reason to unrank it for increasing those in any amount,

so is there a problem with such a mod that only allows increase, doesn't unrank and doesn't affect the multiplier?
Only thing I can imagine is that maybe there's some finer technical point of mapping I'm not getting

Since this is now a different thing, a new thread might be in order, to re-align discussion and let this part of the debate sink, since I consider the "more points" part of it resolved and that's a big part of this thread
Gumpy
Then I would change everything to AR10.
[Kanzaki Ranko]
*throws my 24 stars*
Sadolution
Yes as unranked mod please.
makes it faster then creating a whole new map diff.
Also, would love to use this in multi.

ranked? not an option.
Ash Marley
What I would really love is the ability to raise approach rate on any map, but not lower it (not talking about ones you create yourself).

Example:
- A beatmap at AR6:
- Ability to raise it to AR7, AR8, AR9, AR10
- NO ability to lower the AR.
- NO change in points by changing AR.
GhostFrog

Ash Marley wrote:

What I would really love is the ability to raise approach rate on any map, but not lower it (not talking about ones you create yourself).

Example:
- A beatmap at AR6:
- Ability to raise it to AR7, AR8, AR9, AR10
- NO ability to lower the AR.
- NO change in points by changing AR.
So what you're saying is that you want the ability to make maps easier with no penalty.
Bobbias
As far as I'm concerned, any changes to these outside the HR/EZ mods should be unranked. It would make no sense to do something like trying to adjust a multiplier based on the specific changes you make (or anything similar). You can argue that we can already do this by saving a new difficulty with altered settings, but nobody wants to have to do that for every difficulty they feel like playing with modified settings. It breaks the flow since you have to enter the editor, make changes, save it, and then go back into play mode. Adding them to the mod menu does nothing more than make this process easier and mean you don't need to add unranked difficulties directly to the beatmap.

Assuming that adjusting these settings makes your score unranked, this shouldn't even be seen as having anything to do with gameplay in the first place. It's really more of a user experience issue. It's already entirely possible within the game, it's just more time consuming and annoying than it needs to be.
Factorial
This will make the game more complicated...
Unsafeman121
Though I can't really see myself using this personally, I can understand that a lot of players may like the implementation of this feature.

However, if something like this is implemented, I would have to agree with Bobbias:

Bobbias wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, any changes to these outside the HR/EZ mods should be unranked.
In my opinion, this would create too many variables in the ranked statistics and the scores could become skewed because of it. If you want to make the map easier or harder in a ranked fashion then the mods available already provide that.

So long as everything remains unranked I wouldn't have an issue and I believe that it could (and would) be a useful feature for many players to have, both for recreational and learning purposes.
haha5957
Bumping?

Just mentioning that now the pp system takes AR (although, needs to be 10.3 or higher) to grant extra pp but not for most of common ARs.

CS and OD directly effects map's pp reward but AR doesn't effect PP in pretty much every case other than DTing 9AR maps, and for HP, adding a nofail mod will grant you 10% less pp (which isn't too much to be honest imo).

So here's the question : while pp being the primary ranking system (and the pp system pretty much disregards every AR between 0~10.2), why don't we make AR customizable?

Just give it a same amount of penalty when the AR goes below 10.3 because of this feature.

I honestly think ARs are now more like preferences. While I do have to agree that AR10 somehow requires "reading" ability, I don't think AR7.5~AR9.7 requires actual "skill".

setting a ironed AR value for a "Extra" difficulty map makes it harder for players to fully enjoy the map. Especially between AR 8.5~9.7, it's more like preference (some like higher, some likes lower.)

For some old extremely hard maps with AR9, they feel too slow. However AR10 on some maps(talking about the material, big black, fd, etc) seems to be too much, while they still fit better than AR9, but I'm pretty sure that maps would had AR9.1~AR9.9 if the option was available at the moment.

This will not only help players to enjoy the game more by using AR of their preference, but it will also increase the value of old maps with AR7(which most of people do not like these days) and maps that didn't have decimal AR values as option(like i mentioned above).

although I called it "preference" there definitely are lots of maps that doesnt not have their best AR due to various reason(like AR7 being mainstream, AR 8 being mainstream, mapper choosing AR of his/her own preference, decimal ARs not being available).
GhostFrog

haha5957 wrote:

Just mentioning that now the pp system takes AR (although, needs to be 10.3 or higher) to grant extra pp but not for most of common ARs.
You used to get bonus pp for AR greater than 10 or AR less than 8. The recent change made it so you need AR greater than 10.3 or less than 8 in order to get bonus pp.

why don't we make AR customizable?
Most rhythm games do allow you to choose your own value for their equivalent of approach rate, but I think it makes sense for osu! to be different. osu! is only 50% rhythm game. The aim component of the game is what makes it unique and the aim is influenced pretty heavily by AR in a way that doesn't factor into other rhythm games. Choosing an AR for a map is essentially placing a pivot point to balance out two different types of reading ability. On one side (lower AR), you have a type of reading that's more or less specific to aim. On the other, you have ability to identify notes fast/to react quickly (high AR). When rhythm games allow players to choose their AR-equivalent, players end up choosing the highest value they can read and the same would be true in osu! (for sufficiently difficult maps, anyway) because it makes playing the map easier. You say that you don't think that AR7.5 to 9.7 require 'actual "skill" ', but do you realize just how arbitrary those numbers are? To someone who can read AR10.3 fluently and never plays anything much lower, reading AR10 might not require actual skill, whereas anything below 9 will be horrifyingly difficult. Reading any map, regardless of AR or object density, requires some amount of skill, with the amount of skill varying depending on the AR and the map and with there being some balance between the two types of reading skill required. It can be said that AR adds "artificial difficulty" to a map and I think that might have been what you wanted to say. If so, that's a fair opinion, but I disagree with it. The ability to play a map at a certain AR is so closely tied into aim that reading different ARs is a real measure of difficulty in osu! imo. At the values we normally see for the maps we normally play (for example, between 7.5 and 9.7 for you), this is a little less obvious, though I think you'll really start to notice it around the lower end of that range.

I would love to have a mod that changes map settings and I really hope this gets implemented at some point, but it absolutely has to be unranked (or partly ranked with a large penalty). You can't just change the AR and still be playing the same map - and you certainly can't change OD or CS and still be playing the same map either. On a related note, HR is a mess of a mod that does too many things but that's not important to this thread.
jesse1412

haha5957 wrote:

Bumping?

Just mentioning that now the pp system takes AR (although, needs to be 10.3 or higher) to grant extra pp but not for most of common ARs. Bonuses to pp for AR are for AR>10.33 and AR<8 (not inclusive).

CS and OD directly effects map's pp reward but AR doesn't effect PP in pretty much every case other than DTing 9AR maps, and for HP, adding a nofail mod will grant you 10% less pp (which isn't too much to be honest imo). CS affects pp the way it does because it directly increases the difficult, aiming is harder so keeping combo is harder, hence higher CS results in more pp. OD effects pp the way it does because it makes timing a perfect hit genuinely so much harder (and hence it rewards the player for managing to hit the notes correctly, rather than for just holding combo). The only reason AR doesn't effect pp as drastically as the others is because figuring out why lower/higher AR would be difficult on a map and determining the caliber of the reward deserved is very hard (if possible), not just because the difficulty of AR is so subjective but also because understanding why anything to do with reading is difficult is beyond what we currently know how to do.

So here's the question : while pp being the primary ranking system (and the pp system pretty much disregards every AR between 0~10.2), why don't we make AR customizable? We understand the effects of higher/lower cs a lot better than we understand the effects of AR numerically on difficulty, if we can have different approach rates on songs then we should also be able to have select other values. AR is the LEST UNDERSTOOD difficulty modifier, it's difficulty can be very subjective from person to person BUT there is a huge general consensus on certain ARs that are harder than others on given maps. If popular opinion says that something is hard then pp should say that that thing is hard.

Just give it a same amount of penalty when the AR goes below 10.3 because of this feature. "Just give the same penalty when you change the CS."

I honestly think ARs are now more like preferences. While I do have to agree that AR10 somehow requires "reading" ability, I don't think AR7.5~AR9.7 requires actual "skill". See here we again have another diverging opinion, AR10 in my opinion requires absolutely 0 reading ability to me while AR<=9 require godly understanding of the map. CLEARY we can see that high and low ARs require different skills, why should someone who has mastered all of the approach rates over multiple years of playing have their ability essentially made irrelevant just because some other people don't want to take the time to learn a variety of approach rates?

setting a ironed AR value for a "Extra" difficulty map makes it harder for players to fully enjoy the map. Especially between AR 8.5~9.7, it's more like preference (some like higher, some likes lower.) If the map has lower AR and you don't like it that's completely YOUR fault for not being capable, PLAY MORE just like everyone else did to get comfortable at low AR. The mapper made the map with a given approach rate in mind, just like they selected the CS and the drain and the placement of notes, it is part of the experience, changing the AR of the map can completely change the intensity of it.

For some old extremely hard maps with AR9, they feel too slow. However AR10 on some maps(talking about the material, big black, fd, etc) seems to be too much, while they still fit better than AR9, but I'm pretty sure that maps would had AR9.1~AR9.9. If the option was available at the moment. I can almost guarantee the majority of people can play those maps properly would want ar10 on them, it just makes reading them easier. If they prefer the lower AR? Great they have a skill that's beyond all of the other top players, let's not take their skill and tell them that because no one else wants to learn it we're going to make it an avoidable skill to learn.

This will not only help players to enjoy the game more by using AR of their preference, but it will also increase the value of old maps with AR7(which most of people do not like these days) and maps that didn't have decimal AR values as option(like i mentioned above). People may prefer having the ability to change AR yes, but they would also like the ability to slow down the map or shrink jumps. People want to change the AR because it feels easier to them, that's not okay. People should not be given the luxury of making the map easier at will with no penalties when other people struggle through on the more difficult settings and get no rewards.

although I called it "preference" there definitely are lots of maps that doesnt not have their best AR due to various reason(like AR7 being mainstream, AR 8 being mainstream, mapper choosing AR of his/her own preference, decimal ARs not being available). "Best AR" is just the AR that you personally find easiest, I guarantee there are maps you play now and you think "wow I'd like a lower AR on that" but in a few months you will think you were crazy. There is no "best" AR on a map, there is the set AR and it's an obstacle you have to tackle.
TL;DR Changing any values to bend to your whim is ridiculous unless you receive 100% penalization for it.
- Marco -
^ maybe unranked mods? :O
haha5957
ok my bad on not knowing about getting extra pp for AR8 or lower lol

~ "Best AR" is just the AR that you personally find easiest
~ If the map has lower AR and you don't like it that's completely YOUR fault for not being capable,

Ok than I should start using AR1.0 on my extra difficulty map and call it "ITS UR FAULT MASTER UR LOWER AR SKILLz" right?

When you map something, people wants to set AR to where you can read it easily.. Try to use AR8 on extreme hard map and let's see what kind of response you get. Have you ever thought why mappers get AR mods? if it's all about ability there should have been tons of AR4 and AR2 maps and there is not. No extra difficulty with AR5 will be ranked because it just does not make sense to most of people.

Now that you called "Best AR is just the AR that you personally find easiest"... of course. And the map's AR is also supposed to be the "Best AR" for most of people.
haha5957
sorry for the double post but i somehow do not see the edit button even i hovered over post.

w/e

You are completely wrong if you think mappers set AR to give players challenge. ARs are there for the best fit, not to challenge players. if a mapper tries to troll with AR? the map will not be ranked.

However players are getting unintentionally trolled(when they aren't supposed to be in point of "mapper's view") because old maps tend to have AR7 or lower.
Mismagius
why can't you just accept that mappers want you to play the map this way, you're the player, you shouldn't be able to edit it in any way
some may argue that in guitar hero/ddr/stepmania you can change the speed which notes come

but osu! is a different game and you should deal with it
respect the mappers' choice

also, don't ruin old maps, please.
DT-sama

Blue Dragon wrote:

why can't you just accept that mappers want you to play the map this way
Because HR already gives me a choice and I like my small-ass circles.
Seijiro
If this gets implemented mappers can start mapping with crazy values since the player will use his/her own values.

^ this kind of reasoning is really stupid. What osu!'s mappers do is to grant a good standard for beatmaps. With this feature they will lose some of their merits, which I find really unfair, beacuse mapping isn't easy (try it and you'll see)

I completely disagree with this, sorry
DT-sama

[-MrSergio-] wrote:

If this gets implemented mappers can start mapping with crazy values since the player will use his/her own values.

^ this kind of reasoning is really stupid. What osu!'s mappers do is to grant a good standard for beatmaps. With this feature they will lose some of their merits, which I find really unfair, beacuse mapping isn't easy (try it and you'll see)

I completely disagree with this, sorry
That's only true for changeable ARs, because it wouldn't be clear how to give it a score multiplier, and I don't support that.
But changeable CS and OD harm no one, give them a higher score multiplier if they're higher than the mapper's default choice, a lower score multiplier if not. There's literally no more encouragement or discouragement of crazy values than there are right now.
Mappers can do whatever they want right now anyway, but you don't see them mapping AR6 CS3 OD5 5* maps and saying "lol just HR it if you want reasonable CS, AR and OD".
And honestly I'm tired of 6* maps locked to OD7/8 for literally no reason, I hate that if I want to play a map "the way the mapper intended it" without ruining the song with DT, I have to downgrade to a non-rhythm game.
Yabuki Nako
I would like to see something like this very bad... But UNRANKED. In this way, you can make it very simple without thinking about balance.
Actually, I like to play in AR10, but this is annoying to edit my maps one by one. Same thing if I want to play them with CS at 3.4 or/with OD at 10, for exemple.

Basically, what you can do while editing a map but as unranked mods (4 mods = CS/HP/AR/OD), and being able to mix them like you want.
With that, you can play your maps like you want without editing them.

This is interesting for practice too.

I don't think it would be difficult to make.
Dephix
idk
[-obee58-]
+2, make it unranked, I don't like having to go in to editor and make separate diffs :u
-Maus-
Unsup as hell. It's a stepmania rip-off.
Aibou
If this is made, AR should not modify score at all.
HP can change your score, but it only by decreasing it. Increasing HP shouldn't increase your score.
CS should change your score if you're increasing CS, and decreasing it if you're lowering CS.
OD should increase your score if you're increasing OD, and decreasing it if you're lowering OD.

Since people often argue that higher AR is easier to read, we shouldn't reward that.
For HP, the map difficulty isn't really being increased, you're just punished more for mistakes, so it shouldn't increase score either.
CS can increase difficulty, so it should modify score.
OD can increase difficulty as well, so likewise, it should increase score.
-Maus-

[Aibou] wrote:

HP can change your score, but it only by decreasing it. Increasing HP shouldn't increase your score.
CS should change your score if you're increasing CS, and decreasing it if you're lowering CS.
OD should increase your score if you're increasing OD, and decreasing it if you're lowering OD.

Since people often argue that higher AR is easier to read, we shouldn't reward that.
For HP, the map difficulty isn't really being increased, you're just punished more for mistakes, so it shouldn't increase score either.
And how do you think OD would be increased in mania for example? Do you think peppy will magically create something that would let the game add LNs AND make them logical and playable?
Aibou

Transformau5 wrote:

And how do you think OD would be increased in mania for example? Do you think peppy will magically create something that would let the game add LNs AND make them logical and playable?
LNs? I don't play osumania, so I could be completely oblivious when saying this, but we could just make it more difficult to hit 300s.
Hemmi

[Aibou] wrote:

Modifying AR should definitely unrank, else it would make DT so much easier.
-Maus-

[Aibou] wrote:

Transformau5 wrote:

LNs? I don't play osumania, so I could be completely oblivious when saying this, but we could just make it more difficult to hit 300s.
LNS= long notes.
Aibou

Gunsillie wrote:

Never thought about this, this is definitely something we'll need to factor in. Maybe when DT and AR mods are used in combination, score is decreased?

Transformau5 wrote:

LNS= long notes.
Oh, alright. Care to elaborate as to how it's impossible to implement though? Aren't LNs already in the game? If LNs are the same as sliders in osu, make it so holding the notes have a tighter release time.
Keihyan
it sounds really great and I want this system to practice AR10
-Maus-

[Aibou] wrote:

Gunsillie wrote:

Never thought about this, this is definitely something we'll need to factor in. Maybe when DT and AR mods are used in combination, score is decreased?

Transformau5 wrote:

LNS= long notes.
Oh, alright. Care to elaborate as to how it's impossible to implement though? Aren't LNs already in the game? If LNs are the same as sliders in osu, make it so holding the notes have a tighter release time.
LNs are in the game, the game can't create them itself, though. Osu! doesn't have a magical sound recognition system, it doesn't know whether adding a long note here or there makes any sense, it can't tell the difference before making a jackhammer on spacebar or a trill on 2 rightmost columns OR a long note beginning in the same point another one finishes. That's a thing that was screwed up on autoconverts and would likely be screwed up here too.
trash aim_old
why is this not a thing yet

make every change result in unranked, it doesnt matter, but it would make multiplayer a lot more enjoyable with all this stupid 250+ bpm ar9 eyecancer
ziin

Blue Dragon wrote:

why can't you just accept that mappers want you to play the map this way, you're the player, you shouldn't be able to edit it in any way
some may argue that in guitar hero/ddr/stepmania you can change the speed which notes come

How can you respect the mappers' choice when you use 100% dim? Stop being a hypocrite. Visual settings killed mappers' choice.

I see no problem with this as a ranked mod. 0.3x score, plus/minus any gains from difficulty change and 10% PP, plus/minus any PP gains from the change in difficulty. Players who do not care about ranking (a small minority) will abuse this mod to enjoy the game and they will not affect any rankings other than having a ridiculously deflated rank. Players who do care about ranking (pretty much everyone else) will use this mod to practice/fix stupid problems with maps.
GhostFrog

ziin wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

How can you respect the mappers' choice when you use 100% dim? Stop being a hypocrite. Visual settings killed mappers' choice.

I see no problem with this as a ranked mod. 0.3x score, plus/minus any gains from difficulty change and 10% PP, plus/minus any PP gains from the change in difficulty. Players who do not care about ranking (a small minority) will abuse this mod to enjoy the game and they will not affect any rankings other than having a ridiculously deflated rank. Players who do care about ranking (pretty much everyone else) will use this mod to practice/fix stupid problems with maps.
to fix stupid problems with maps? How can you seriously say that? If you're not good enough to hit a tricky spaced single pattern in a map and use bigger circles to allow you to play it in a straight line, are you fixing stupid problems with the map? If you're completely incapable of playing squares and need to raise the AR in order to see the individual circles, are you fixing stupid problems with the map? If you can't pass a map because your accuracy sucks and you need to lower the OD, are you fixing stupid problems with the map? No, you're entirely changing how the map plays. While it's honestly probably a good thing that HR exists, it's an awful mod. The increased OD is good. It helps to separate people who can SS the map normally because osu! hit windows are pretty damn huge. Smaller circles are a mixed bag. It makes some patterns fucking impossible and barely changes some others, but people can just avoid using it on maps that have hellish patterns so it's okay. Increased drain is kinda stupid for HR to have with the way drain works in osu!, but meh. Increased AR on it is awful. It gives a non-map-dependent you-must-be-this-tall sign for any insane or above map (aka AR10 reading) that makes the map easier if you can read it. Flipping the map vertically is similarly awful. It doesn't make the map any more difficult objectively, while in some cases it can make difficult parts of a map easier for players. Flipping the map vertically switches the clockwise/counterclockwise orientation of patterns, which is a horrible thing for a difficulty-increasing mod to do when players have varying strengths and weaknesses in each direction.

So why did I just post so many words bashing HR? Because this mod is worse. You want to give people the option to selectively modify those settings in order to make maps easier/harder? No thank you. HR kinda sorta works because it's standardized. This mod would not be. We don't want a ranked mod that encourages people to edit maps to CS4.7 to just barely ruin patterns that would be MUCH harder to play on CS4.8 (yes, that is actually possible). We don't want a ranked mod that encourages people to throw AR10 (or AR9 on higher AR maps for people who can't read above AR9) on any map that they're not good enough to read - yes, reading a map at different ARs is a skill that 100% must be a part of osu! simply because of what aim is (if you disagree with this, think for a while about it and you'll realize why). This mod is (almost) everything wrong with HR but without the standardization that makes HR okay. The ability to change just the OD and keep the map ranked would be nice in theory, but is almost completely incompatible with how the scoring system works. Allowing for any of the other settings to be changed without making the play unranked is just flat-out wrong...except maybe hp but that couldn't be allowed to increase score anyway and should just give the same multiplier as NF.

Oh, and your thing about 100% dim is a red herring. If it were the mapper's choice to have fully white hit circles on a fully white background, for example, there would be nothing wrong with fully dimming the background because when you have a map in which it is literally impossible to see any of the hitobjects, you are no longer playing the same game. Yep, that's a ridiculous and extreme example, but what if instead of a white background, it was a very light grey that you could kinda sorta see the hit circles on? A very slightly darker shade than that? Very slightly darker than that even? At what point can you see the objects well enough to still be playing a game about moving your cursor to circles and pressing a button? There is no answer to that. While it's probably nice to play a map at least once with background/storyboard/video/skin/hitsounds chosen by the mapper, they're not part of what makes the map what it is. They're things that detract from the game for artistic purposes. Map settings, however, do determine what the map is. If you want to fix stupid problems with maps, feel free to do that with unranked plays rather than trying to get an abomination of a ranked mod to cover your inadequacy.

So yeah, let's get this as an unranked mod please.
ziin
Fixing stupid problems with maps is exactly that: making the beatmap enjoyable to the player by removing the aspects of the game they don't like.

you may see 100% dim as a red herring, but there are plenty of maps designed to blend in with the background, and I certainly didn't intend it to be a red herring since I see no moral difference in dimming backgrounds/removing storyboards and changing difficulty settings. Backgrounds and difficulty settings add artificial difficulty to a map.

This can absolutely NOT go for unranked because it encourages players to play maps without it affecting their score at all. This is what spun out used to do and why peppy made it ranked. If you have a valid reason why having this as a ranked mod is such an abomination (who does it hurt? who does it help?) then I'll listen to you.

As far as AR/aim: I disagree and I still haven't realized why so please enlighten me. Last time I checked, osu's motto wasn't [b]aim[b] is just a click away.
GhostFrog

ziin wrote:

Fixing stupid problems with maps is exactly that: making the beatmap enjoyable to the player by removing the aspects of the game they don't like.

you may see 100% dim as a red herring, but there are plenty of maps designed to blend in with the background, and I certainly didn't intend it to be a red herring since I see no moral difference in dimming backgrounds/removing storyboards and changing difficulty settings. Backgrounds and difficulty settings add artificial difficulty to a map.

This can absolutely NOT go for unranked because it encourages players to play maps without it affecting their score at all. This is what spun out used to do and why peppy made it ranked. If you have a valid reason why having this as a ranked mod is such an abomination (who does it hurt? who does it help?) then I'll listen to you.

As far as AR/aim: I disagree and I still haven't realized why so please enlighten me. Last time I checked, osu's motto wasn't [b]aim[b] is just a click away.
I already said why it's an abomination.

Relax is unranked but adds to your playcount (I just checked to make sure) and I assume this would do the same thing - and if it didn't, would that be a problem? To use your words, who does it hurt? This would actually encourage the opposite of what you're saying though - using this mod would be easier than making a diff with altered difficulty settings, so people would have more of their plays count towards their playcount rather than less.

"Artificial difficulty" is a fun little buzzword that people like to use to handwave away parts of a game they don't like, so let's break this down a bit using real words. Backgrounds/storyboards? That's artificial difficulty. A distracting background/storyboard is like giving someone special glasses to wear while playing that are actually just a really dirty pair of glasses with the wrong prescription. It has nothing to do with gameplay, it's just there to make the game more difficult. Difficulty settings? Not artificial difficulty with the exception of hp drain. HP drain doesn't make the game harder, it just decides (at times almost arbitrarily) that you're not doing well enough and causes you to fail. Mendes+HR, happy30 spinner maps nomod, etc. I fail to see how any other difficulty settings are artificial difficulty. CS is very obviously not artificial difficulty. OD is only artificial difficulty if you discount rhythm/timing as a part of osu! (which your final paragraph indicates is not the case). AR....this one's more complicated and ties in with what exactly aim is, so it deserves its own paragraph.

Let's get on the same page first though. Your "aim is just a click away" thing seems to indicate that you don't think osu! is about aim, but I hope we can agree that it's a legitimate component of osu!. In fact, it's pretty much the only thing that sets osu! apart from other rhythm games, so I'm going to assume that we can agree on this. Aim has a physical component and a mental component. The physical component is muscle memory. It's knowing by feel that going a certain distance across the screen requires moving your mouse or pen a certain amount or that reaching a certain spot on the screen requires moving your pen to a certain spot on your tablet. The mental component is everything else and it's exactly what we normally refer to as reading, but it's more than just "can you read this AR??". It's the obvious things like being able to figure out which note is next on low AR and being able to see notes in time on high AR, but there's also a component of reading that is 100% specific to aim - determining exactly where an object is relative to previous objects and/or relative to the rest of the playing field. THAT is the type of reading that makes people hate low AR. Having objects on the screen for longer and having more objects on screen makes it much harder to determine exactly where notes are, which makes it much harder to aim. However, this kind of difficulty is affected by....well, kind of a lot of things. It's affected by object density because the more objects there are on screen at once, the harder it is to focus on the specific one you want and to switch to the correct new object after. It's affected directly by AR in a way that has nothing to do with note density because holding an object in working memory longer before needing to use makes it more difficult to use previously-gathered information about the object to help your reading (this is why DT sometimes doesn't make aim as much harder as you'd expect despite having the same patterns and the same visual density of notes at 1.5x speed). However, it's also affected by things other than AR. High SV causes the same exact type of reading issues. Certain patterns (mostly ones containing wider angles with larger spacing) cause the exact same type of reading issues. The same type of reading that goes into being able to play a map at slightly lower AR is present everywhere and to discount it as a part of osu! is to reduce "aim" to "muscle memory". Sure, the purpose of increasing AR (in theory) is to bring the amount of this type of reading required for a map to approximately the same level as the amount of high AR reading required, but being allowed to do so as part of a mod that you want to get ranked as a way of removing "artificial difficulty" is utter nonsense. It's not artificial difficulty if it's half of the real difficulty of what sets the game apart from other games in the genre. Ultimately, most maps that get ranked have AR overtuned if the purpose of choosing an AR is to balance out the reading required across the two types. That's fine for individual maps if mappers want to do that, but that's exactly it - it's something the mapper chooses. If the mapper chooses to put a lower AR on a map, it's putting a form of real aim difficulty into the map that you would allow people to eliminate with this mod.

You're right that people should be able to remove aspects of the game that they don't like - but they shouldn't be able to do it and still have their plays be ranked. Calling it "fixing stupid problems with maps" is attempting to shift the blame from player skill to poor mapping decisions ("help help the circles are too small and I can't aim, this map has a stupid problem!!!"). If a map highlights your weaknesses and you don't like it, just don't play it.

/words
elgen
I would love to have this as an unranked mod, or one that halves the total score in a similar way to NF. It would be a nice thing to have to practice higher CS or higher/lower AR and being able to do so in multiplayer.
Mismagius

ziin wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

because AR and backgrounds affect the gameplay in the same way :^)
Calls me an hypocrite then proceeds to make one of the... least intelligent posts I've seen.
Let's fix all the stupid things in ranked maps by changing OD/CS/AR! it's not like AR reading has to be a skill at all! It's not like maps with high CS should be properly played, fuck that, let's just make everything easier for the player because this is what a game is about, right?
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

I already said why it's an abomination.
I guess I want an answer in one or two sentences. You write a story explaining why a ranked mod sucks but didn't explain why the ranked mod is OK (you just said it's OK because it's consistent). It's also a bit strange that you want a mod that is an abomination in your opinion added to the game.

GhostFrog wrote:

Relax is unranked but adds to your playcount (I just checked to make sure) and I assume this would do the same thing - and if it didn't, would that be a problem? To use your words, who does it hurt? This would actually encourage the opposite of what you're saying though - using this mod would be easier than making a diff with altered difficulty settings, so people would have more of their plays count towards their playcount rather than less.
I don't understand this point at all, sorry. Can you be more specific? For example: Ranked Difficulty Mod would ensure that players' accuracies, play counts, and score are accurately recorded. It discourages players from playing unranked which will generally cause skill level to increase without increasing recorded stats, resulting in inaccurate scores. It will not affect the majority of the top 100000 players rankings due to severe PP cuts. Unranked Difficulty Mod (which you support) would promote players to play without adding to their stats. It would essentially bring back spun out as an unranked mod, which was removed for a purpose. Personally I think relax should add to your accuracy, playcount, and total score.

GhostFrog wrote:

"Artificial difficulty" is a fun little buzzword.
Real difficulty is Aim and Rhythm. Everything else is artificial difficulty in my opinion. I think we fundamentally disagree here so it's useless to continue this line of discussion.

GhostFrog wrote:

Let's get on the same page first though. Your "aim is just a click away" thing seems to indicate that you don't think osu! is about aim, but I hope we can agree that it's a legitimate component of osu!.
Yeah, that was a red herring. Aim to me is the ability to move your mouse to the position of the next note. It is strictly 2 dimensional and entirely physical. When your "mental" component affects the ability of a player to see the next note it is made more difficult by a non-physical difficulty, and thus is artificial.

Blue Dragon wrote:

because AR and backgrounds affect the gameplay in the same way :^)
Calls me an hypocrite then proceeds to make one of the... least intelligent posts I've seen.
Please don't use sarcasm (I'm assuming), especially when citing intelligence. That's not an intelligent way to debate.

I can say in all seriousness that AR and backgrounds affect gameplay in the same way: they affect the ability of the player to determine where and when the next note is supposed to be hit. If you disagree with the underlined statement please explain why. This is why I think you are a hypocrite.
GhostFrog
The tl;dr version of why this would be an abomination as a ranked mod is that changing map settings changes the map in ways that mean you're no longer playing the same map. Well, that's true in the case of CS and AR anyway. OD, as I said in my previous post, could in theory be something that gets modified fairly by a mod, but assigning a value to it with the current scoring system would be awkward. HP increase couldn't give you bonus points and still be fair, HP decrease would need to be treated as NF in order to be fair. The reason HR is okay (and I don't think it's well-designed at all, but I don't think it's bad that it exists) is because it's consistent. Either you play the map nomod or you play it flipped with circles at a set size, OD set to a specific number, AR set to a specific number, and HP set to a specific number. Having this as a ranked mod would be a mess of choosing just the right difficulty settings to take advantage of exactly where difficulty spikes either objectively or for that specific person. It would not be possible to make it fair because of how different it would make maps. I want this as an unranked mod because it would be fun and there's no reason not to let people play whatever they want if it's unranked.

There is no such thing as aim that is purely physical and that's the point you're missing about real vs artificial difficulty of AR. If you wanted to minimize the reading difficulty of aim, you would need to set literally every map to AR10 and I can pretty much guarantee you that would not be comfortable to play. The ideal AR for a map for a certain person will balance out the skills required, not minimize either one. If the reading component of aim is "artificial difficulty", then maps you find comfortable to play are comfortable because of "artificial difficulty". You're hiding behind that term and it doesn't mean what you want it to mean. The reading component of aim is necessarily a real part of aim.
show more