forum

[added] Make CS/HP/AR/OD toggle-able in Mods

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4,126
show more
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

Having this as a ranked mod would be a mess of choosing just the right difficulty settings to take advantage of exactly where difficulty spikes either objectively or for that specific person
Let's take Banned Forever to annoy BD:
It's worth ~200 pp nomod, AR8. Today this map wouldn't be ranked due to the low AR.

If I FC this with a ranked AR9 mod on, I would get 20 pp and 10 million ranked score. Anyone with the ability to actually FC this doesn't deserve full credit, just like spun out, nofail, or easy. If a player is this good already, they would get 0 pp as 20 pp is nothing when you can FC 200 pp maps. On the 1% chance they do get pp, it will be a good thing because they're obviously under ranked.

So if this is unranked, it will not affect accuracy or ranked score or PP, but will affect total score and play count. If this is ranked, it will affect accuracy and ranked score (not top 50), total score, and playcount, but not pp. Without this mod, the play will not affect anything and you can't play the map in multiplayer easily. People don't do this much because the process of changing these values is tedious. I agree with you that if it affected PP and top 50 it would be an issue.

I would prefer to not have this mod in the game if it were unranked as it would turn into the old spunout.
haha5957
>unranks AR7/8 map because it doesn't make sense

>calls AR a skill thus should not be toggle-able

good contradiction going on in this community.....

idk, either don't force mappers to use high ARs on hard maps OR make ARs toggle-able? I don't care which way you go(well i honestly prefer to have adjustable ARs but not too much)

Either let Extra diff map have AR7 or make AR adjustable. What is a decent AR? that mapper chooses it to be? maybe. But this mapping community obviously dislike AR9▽ on extra diff(even unqualifies it!) and at the same time you are calling AR part of reading skill.........

if AR is also a skill why is AR7 extra diff not rankable?
if AR is just matter of personnel taste why is it not toggle-able?

can anyone answer both at the same time?
ziin

haha5957 wrote:

1) It skews the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy. AR7 extra is not a balanced difficulty, just like easy mod is not a balanced mod.
2) It's not just a matter of personal taste. The powers that be want to assign a score to AR which they can change based on how well the community reads said AR. Any outliers are rewarded.
GhostFrog

haha5957 wrote:

>unranks AR7/8 map because it doesn't make sense

>calls AR a skill thus should not be toggle-able

good contradiction going on in this community.....
You're talking about 2 entirely different groups of people. You will find almost no one who realizes that reading is an actual osu! skill and yet doesn't want ranked maps to be allowed a wider variety of approach rates.

ziin wrote:

1) It skews the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy. AR7 extra is not a balanced difficulty, just like easy mod is not a balanced mod.
Guess we should just unrank all aim-heavy maps since they skew the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy.

A map with lower AR still requires rhythm and accuracy unless you're using EZ mod because it halves the OD. You just, y'know, need to be good enough to play the map in order for rhythm and accuracy to matter just like with any other form of difficulty. "Not a balanced difficulty" is such a bs excuse for anything. I assume you also never play any stream-heavy maps because they don't have "balanced difficulty" - your stream speed/stamina needs to be so much better than your aim needs to be in order to play them! But that's okay, right? You're just looking for any excuse to never have to play low AR, but I'll let you in on a little secret: you already don't have to and no one gives a fuck if you don't as long as you shut up about it. Now if you could be rational enough to stop insisting that you be given tools to get points for never playing anything below AR15, it would be greatly appreciated.
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

You're talking about 2 entirely different groups of people. You will find almost no one who realizes that reading is an actual osu! skill and yet doesn't want ranked maps to be allowed a wider variety of approach rates.
lol I'm one of those people

GhostFrog wrote:

Guess we should just unrank all aim-heavy maps since they skew the difficulty curve towards reading moreso than rhythm and accuracy.
Only the qualified ones. Ranked ones have to stay, but the acceptable difficulty of AR is much lower than the acceptable difficuty of rhythm/aim. Rather than tell me why I'm wrong you could explain why ar7 extra isn't rankable. Remember that you don't rank any maps.

GhostFrog wrote:

Now if you could be rational enough to stop insisting that you be given tools to get points for never playing anything below AR15, it would be greatly appreciated.
Don't put words into my mouth. We don't disagree that this mod should exist.

The more I think rationally about this the more I think it doesn't matter. Ranked score doesn't matter at all (and would be barely affected). PP matters, but wouldn't be affected 99% of the time. I have no idea how accuracy is affected, but it's probably weighted with PP, which wouldn't be affected 99% of the time.

Literally the only thing that matters is that unranked mods are bad, and that topic has been beaten to death with spun out.
GhostFrog

ziin wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

Literally the only thing that matters is that unranked mods are bad, and that topic has been beaten to death with spun out.
Unranked mods can add to playcount now. Check your playcount, play a map with relax, check it again. I thought playcount was the issue with spun out back when it was unranked.
ziin
It was play count and accuracy. Since Accuracy is based on pp, then it only affects ranked score if ranked and would only be in the top 50 on maps people don't want to play because of the difficulty settings.

I don't care anymore as it doesn't matter. I just know that in the past unranked mods were requested and always denied.
haha5957

ziin wrote:

haha5957 wrote:

2) It's not just a matter of personal taste. The powers that be want to assign a score to AR which they can change based on how well the community reads said AR. Any outliers are rewarded.
Lower AR on insane+ diff means hard to read. right? Bascially, AR is there to help you play if you see AR as just a tool to balance the difficulty out. like, extreme hard maps should have at least 9.0AR or even 9.5AR, and lower diffs should have low ARs. Correct?

Extremely hard AR8 maps looks little weird these days. Insane diffs should have high AR, easy diffs should have lower AR because AR is to balance difficulty out, pretty much to help people. (I mean, AR9 on easy map is hard and AR6 on insane map is even harder!)

If you agree on this you should definitely agree on making AR both adjustable and rankable. Remember that AR6 is extremely hard on insane diff but makes sense on easy/normal diffs. AR is just a balancing tool here.

Now however, AR8 on extra maps makes it harder to read, and AR10 is just little too hard for some people who are not used to it. Thus, ARs are skills. Even though myself can play 7.0☆+ maps pretty ok with AR 9, most of them are AR10(can't play at all with it). so I need to improve my skill so i can read AR10!

People like me asking for adjustable AR is just a noob who can't read AR10! I should stop crying and get used to high ARs.

If you agree on this you should definitely agree on making AR7 extra diff rankable. Don't even say reading high AR is skill but low AR isn't here.

What are you?
ziin

haha5957 wrote:

What are you?
your 2 options are not mutually exclusive, so I think that most people in osu say neither. Also your logic that if I agree with A, I should agree with B is flawed.

I don't agree that lower AR on insane+ means hard to read in all cases. Most cases involve gobs of overlaps and strange patterns that only make sense on high AR, but I can play at least one approved AR3 insane map on hidden, and another AR0 Hard (unranked). They would be harder for me to play on higher ARs.

Usually when something is deemed "too hard" it is not rankable. AR7 Extra is usually too hard. You also have to take into consideration that when something has too low AR, it stops being fun for a lot of people. I think this mod would make the game more fun for more people, but the people who have something and have worked hard for it don't want it to go to waste (I suppose).

I thought I explained that well when I answered your questions, but I guess not.
GhostFrog
ziin, what would you suggest as the score multiplier for this mod if it were ranked? You mentioned a flat .3x multiplier, but that seems pretty unfair when you can, for example, use this mod exactly the same as EZ which has a .5x multiplier (but of course setting it to .5x would be bad because you can easily choose settings that would make the map easier than EZ mod). Probably some sort of scaling depending on how much you change map settings? What do you think?
ziin

GhostFrog wrote:

ziin, what would you suggest as the score multiplier for this mod if it were ranked? You mentioned a flat .3x multiplier, but that seems pretty unfair when you can, for example, use this mod exactly the same as EZ which has a .5x multiplier (but of course setting it to .5x would be bad because you can easily choose settings that would make the map easier than EZ mod). Probably some sort of scaling depending on how much you change map settings? What do you think?
I say 0.3 because Ez is 0.5. Ideally easy should just let you choose difficulty settings with the defaults set as the current Ez mod.

However, since ranking has significantly changed since this discussion first started, it matters less. You said that hr is okay only because it sets everything as a standard and I agree with that. The same goes for easy,so if this is a separate mod, Ez needs to grant more.

I like where you're headed with the scaling idea, but I really think it shouldn't affect top 50 scores. And that sounds like it would allow people to set everything to 10 except cs while making top 50. As I said before, I don't care if it's ranked or unranked anymore as neither will affect accuracy play count or pp, which are the important stats.
Yabuki Nako
(Who cares about accuracy and play count wtf.)

Just make it unranked.
-Maus-
Am I the only one who lost track of that arguement above lol
jesse1412

ziin wrote:

It was play count and accuracy. Since Accuracy is based on pp, then it only affects ranked score if ranked and would only be in the top 50 on maps people don't want to play because of the difficulty settings.

I don't care anymore as it doesn't matter. I just know that in the past unranked mods were requested and always denied.
Just to clarify, if this was ranked then the player would get MORE pp for increasing od/cs/ar. Some of these things may in fact be making the map easier for the player. I don't know if you follow pp much or the ideology behind it, but it's intention is to be absolute (as in any set of circles will always give the same pp regardless of the mods applied). This mod would make abuse of the pp system relatively easy. Alternatively you want a new sub par mod that receives huge incursions for it's use for pretty much no reason other than "it's breaking ranking"; in which case it might as well be unranked, arguing that accuracy from having it be unranked matters is wrong because to make this mod fit in there would have to be pp reduction for it's use, in the case that the reduction is so adequte then the mod will never provide enough pp to significantly alter people's accuracy.

Making this ranked is AWFUL for pp, it DOESN'T effect accuracy in ANY case unless you create a mod where pp scales normally from map difficulty (sadly pp isn't perfect, there are map settings that can inflate pp to far beyond what it should be.

To argue that SBs and BGs effects the map as much as AR just makes me feel like you're joking. I can't even think of a reply to that.

Extremely hard AR8 maps looks little weird these days. Insane diffs should have high AR, easy diffs should have lower AR because AR is to balance difficulty out, pretty much to help people. (I mean, AR9 on easy map is hard and AR6 on insane map is even harder!)

If you agree on this you should definitely agree on making AR both adjustable and rankable. Remember that AR6 is extremely hard on insane diff but makes sense on easy/normal diffs. AR is just a balancing tool here.
AR shouldn't be adjustable BECAUSE ranked maps are already fitted to the players. Can't play the meta maps? YOUR fault, it's META, it's not like it's a "weird skill". For the maps with challenging approach rates, now you need that reading skill that oh so want to ignore. Stop playing out of your comfort zone and use hr if you can't handle low AR, use easy mod if you can't handle high AR. Your hand should NOT be held, this isn't hello kitty online circle clicker. You make this out to be a black and white situation, as mentioned by ziin it's not so clear.

ziin wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

I say 0.3 because Ez is 0.5. Ideally easy should just let you choose difficulty settings with the defaults set as the current Ez mod.

However, since ranking has significantly changed since this discussion first started, it matters less. You said that hr is okay only because it sets everything as a standard and I agree with that. The same goes for easy,so if this is a separate mod, Ez needs to grant more.

I like where you're headed with the scaling idea, but I really think it shouldn't affect top 50 scores. And that sounds like it would allow people to set everything to 10 except cs while making top 50. As I said before, I don't care if it's ranked or unranked anymore as neither will affect accuracy play count or pp, which are the important stats.
I'll be honest here, the fact that you want to have this mod appear on the ranking boards (potentially beating more impressive nomod scores) is the only reason I don't want it ranked. 0.3* guarantees nothing, this mod would only effect the hardest of maps in the game (which are already screwed up enough from halftime). I appreciate that you want to balance the mod but mods that make maps genuinely easier are VERY hard to balance with the way score in this game works.

A lot of this is subjective so here are the objective parts: This can't be implemented as a ranked mod without either harming pp or by being so useless that it's essentially an unranked mod (that plagues the top50's of hard maps with little FC's). This CAN be implemented while taking into account playcount, regardless of ranked status. This CAN'T really effect accuracy regardless of ranked status.
ziin

jesus1412 wrote:

To argue that SBs and BGs effects the map as much as AR just makes me feel like you're joking. I can't even think of a reply to that.
I never argued that they affect the map to the same degree, just that they affect the map in the same way: they limit the players ability to know when and where the next note is. If they didn't then everyone would be playing with background on and skins that included 300 hits.

Everything else I agree with more or less except for the use of the verb "to effect". Hooray English.
jesse1412

ziin wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

I never argued that they affect the map to the same degree, just that they affect the map in the same way: they limit the players ability to know when and where the next note is. If they didn't then everyone would be playing with background on and skins that included 300 hits.

Everything else I agree with more or less except for the use of the verb "to effect". Hooray English.
Just considering further, maybe ranked with a 0x multiplier could work, that way people can submit visible scores with it for mod specific leaderboards.
xxxafiqxxx
._.
Sebaex
The open source proyect (opsu!) have that option on all the elements (Ar/Od/Cs/Hp).
If osu! have that option, can be a perfect way to practise a map if you have problems with something from a song.
Obiously, if you modify something, the play need to be unranked
Dephix
im neutral on this
jesse1412

Dephix wrote:

why not ranked like in Hexis?
Discussed already, read through earlier posts.
ziin

jesus1412 wrote:

Dephix wrote:

why not ranked like in Hexis?
Discussed already, read through earlier posts.
actually it wasn't. It works in hexis because the game was designed that way. osu! only recently started allowing people to change/customize things. The community is fairly heavily entrenched in its methods and osu! is much more competitive than hexis.

Hexis is also accuracy based, whereas osu! is almost entirely combo based.
agubelu
Free AR should absolutely be a thing

I don't know if AR is involved in PP calculation, but anyway:

If it isn't, why shouldn't we be able to play in whichever AR we like?
If it is, why is it? High AR isn't necessarily harder and low AR isn't necessarily easier
jesse1412

agubelu wrote:

Free AR should absolutely be a thing

I don't know if AR is involved in PP calculation, but anyway:

If it isn't, why shouldn't we be able to play in whichever AR we like?
If it is, why is it? High AR isn't necessarily harder and low AR isn't necessarily easier
Some posts discussing this are on this page. I'll argue further but I'd rather not repeat myself more.
Bara-
Adjustable has been requested before
HP means nothing in terms of difficulty/pp
CS only makes maps harder/easier (so it's fine if implemented)
OD can give HUGE amounts of pp if set to 10 due to INSANELY high part of accuracy

Oh, to those people saying it'll be UNranked, why can't you just use editor?
I'm fine with it being ranked, but I'm scared for the OD
Yabuki Nako

baraatje123 wrote:

Why can't they just make a mod ?

Using the editor for each maps is pretty annoying and you have to update them when you want the changes back.
ziin

baraatje123 wrote:

HP means nothing in terms of difficulty/pp
Lowering HP allows passing unpassable maps on HR.

baraatje123 wrote:

CS only makes maps harder/easier (so it's fine if implemented)
CS is the OD of aiming difficulty

baraatje123 wrote:

Multiplayer

baraatje123 wrote:

I'm fine with it being ranked, but I'm scared for the OD
OD is just a judge distance and has a miserable effect on HP. Ideally every map would be played on the highest OD you can pass with decent accuracy/survival.

If this is ranked, it will be fair because it's added to everyone. The only thing it detrimentally affects are the mapmakers, who have already been detrimentally affected by the addition of display properties.

It would be interesting if you could easily storyboard a custom AR quickly. The only real isssue would be sliders showing up over approach/hitcircles.
Noctali

Mayu Watanabe wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

Why can't they just make a mod ?

Using the editor for each maps is pretty annoying
It's just boring. :roll:
Yumikoi
Well, this would certainly revive lot of the old ranked maps that just have the wrong AR (like ar7 4.5star 200bpm maps etc)
Generally allowing AR change in smaller numbers than what HR does would be good, I'd love to be able to bump all 140+bpm maps to ar9 and all 180+bpm maps to 9.5 instead of only having the option of either low AR or AR10(hr).
But I think it shouldn't give any score multiplier for increasing AR nor reduce for for lowering it.

For HP, while I would appreciate lowering HP on some of the maps I can't pass, there already is NF for that and that one is pretty well balanced (0.5 score and -10%pp). While often even 0.5HP can be the difference between passing and failing a map, it would essential do the same thing as NF - a binary pass or die scenario. So I'd say there is no need for that.

CS - allowing increase of CS would be good and it could even give a bit of extra score multiplier, lowering CS should be penalized a lot though, there are map that are mainly hard thanks to their CS so allowing getting top ranks on those by lowering CS would be bad.

OD - increase of OD has no point and should not award anything extra, it doesn't make anything more "comfortable" to play like the other stats. Lowering OD could be a thing but just like CS heavily penalized (or even unranked to avoid the free SS's)
GhostFrog

SteveRowland wrote:

But I think it shouldn't give any score multiplier for increasing AR nor reduce for for lowering it.
"I want a difficulty-reducing mod that doesn't lower my score." AR greatly affects how a map plays. If a map was made to be played on AR8 and you can't read it well enough to play it, you shouldn't be given the option to just change it. I've argued it at length in this thread. AR plays a huge factor in the aim component of the game.

Anyway, unranked would be great for that. Eliminates the need to have AR-changed versions of maps sitting around and makes spectating/multiplayer easier when trying to play them.

p.s. AR9 on 140bpm? What the heck is the current generation of players being raised on that AR9 is needed for something that slow?

For HP, while I would appreciate lowering HP on some of the maps I can't pass, there already is NF for that and that one is pretty well balanced (0.5 score and -10%pp). While often even 0.5HP can be the difference between passing and failing a map, it would essential do the same thing as NF - a binary pass or die scenario. So I'd say there is no need for that.
Agreed. Might be fun to play around with as an unranked thing (people could change Airman's drain to a reasonable number and see how hard it "should" be to pass!), but as a ranked mod, it should probably be equivalent to nofail and therefore pointless outside of extremely silly bragging purposes ("I didn't need nofail! I could pass the map just fine on hp0~~~").

CS - allowing increase of CS would be good and it could even give a bit of extra score multiplier, lowering CS should be penalized a lot though, there are map that are mainly hard thanks to their CS so allowing getting top ranks on those by lowering CS would be bad.
You kind of hit on the difficult thing about changing cs here - cs often determines how a map or how its hard parts play out. Some patterns that are difficult at the cs chosen for a map may become absolutely trivial if you lower the cs juuuuuust enough and penalizing properly is basically impossible with the way multipliers work now without intentionally overtuning. This brings back something I've said repeatedly in this thread - hard rock is a TERRIBLE mess of a mod, but it's okayish (and the game is probably better for its existence) because it's standardized. Either you play the map or you play a version of the map with a specific different circle size (and AR, OD, HP) for 1.06x the points. Take it or leave it. Implementing user-chosen CS opens up weird edge cases of trying to change CS to exactly the right value to just barely not ruin the map and I don't think that's a good thing for the game. A fun thing to play around with on an unranked mod (which is exactly what this should be), but a really silly thing imo to have as part of the competitive aspect of the game.

OD - increase of OD has no point and should not award anything extra, it doesn't make anything more "comfortable" to play like the other stats. Lowering OD could be a thing but just like CS heavily penalized (or even unranked to avoid the free SS's)
OD is the one that would probably make the most sense as a ranked mod since OD doesn't change how the map plays outside of notelock scenarios (or if your timing is so early or late that it causes you to miss notes), but it would be another balancing nightmare. If you increase the OD on an all-slider map, you've increased the difficulty by a trivial amount, for example. If you increase the OD on a really fast map, you might suddenly find it possible to pass due to decreased notelock. Overall, would, like the others, be best as an unranked mod.

In asking for this (or components of it) as a ranked mod, you're asking for a more messed-up version of hard rock, which is already a really messy mod that changes map settings in a way that's arbitrary relative to the map (not arbitrary relative to the map settings but you're playing the map, not its settings) in such a way that its difficulty boost is inconsistent enough to sometimes cause a map to be easier for players. I hope you understand just how crazy that is. A mod that would let you tune map settings to exact values you want would be so much worse. HR is only really palatable because either it's on or it isn't. Having a mod that would allow you to turn HR halfway on or to turn it on twice over or to have certain components of it on or anything in-between would be terrible. Needs to be unranked for sure.
Noctali
Why are you all struggling about those mods being ranked ? Man, who cares if it's not ?

Personnaly, I just believe that such an option should have been available in the game from the beginning. I don't want it to be ranked, there's just no need to it. I think that I, as well as all the other people who upvoted this request, just want an option to play custom difficulties without the need to create it by using the editor.

It's so annoying that we're not able to do it without having to go through all the editor process. Of course it's easy to do, still, it's only viable as a solo player. But then, what about multiplayer ? Parameters doesn't always fit what everyone's able to do... It always leads to a forced switch, which could have been avoided if the players were able to change parameters in mods. Making multiplayer enjoyable for everyone, not only for those who are experienced enough to play X beatmap. Of course we could practice, but sometimes you just want to have fun, here, now.

It wouldn't even bother beatmappers, neither break the rankings, it would just be pleasurable for everyone. :)

Once again, who cares if it's ranked or not ? Don't you all just want to have FUN ? You don't need PP when you have FUN. :D
Mismagius

GhostFrog wrote:

p.s. AR9 on 140bpm? What the heck is the current generation of players being raised on that AR9 is needed for something that slow?
Quick reminder that AR9 is already considered unreadable by most players because of being too slow, at least 9.5 is required to be 'playable' now.
Noctali
Just want to add some reasons why such an option would be awesome.

1. Practice

You know, sometimes you just want to practice.

Though you may be able to do so by using mods such as HardRock or Easy, what would happen if you just want to practice a single parameter ? You only have two options : 1. Create custom difficulties; 2. Looking for maps with original settings that fits what you're searching for. Well, doesn't it sound very boring and/or limited ?

Wouldn't it be easier if you could just set it ON when you start practicing, then OFF when you're done ? Not only would it give you many more possibilities, but it would also grant you an amazing amount of time, that you wouldn't have to waste creating/deleting custom difficulties.

I think we can all agree that the editor doesn't stand to be used as a cheap practice mode. Making CS/HP/AR/OD toggle-able in mods would be a way better way to allow player to practice.

2. The option already exists but is way too much time-consuming

- Changing parameters can be done by using the editor
- Custom difficulties in multiplayer is done by sending a custom file to the whole room (though it doesn't allow players to chose what settings they want to play with)

As I said, everything is already merely available in-game. Still, it's time-consuming as hell, not very handy, and lacks possibilities.

^Dumb design, but that's what I have in mind. Would be toggle-able in the menu by clicking a gearwheel icon or whatever. :D
Yumikoi
Well I would be fine with it being unranked if it wasn't like the currently unranked mods - those (auto and relax) don't even show you your acc and stuff during the play, you can't see misses etc. And also I would like to have local leaderboards at least with this, just like unranked maps (edited to comfortable AR etc) do.
It really helps practice when you can see how much you are improving over your older results. So if you can make these things work with an unranked mode, I'd be fine with it since it would save me time going to editor to change these things and help with spectating etc.

OT:

GhostFrog wrote:

I blame mappers :P When i started playing earlier this year, easy and normal difficulties were too easy while hard were too hard so I went with normal+HR and then soon switched to normal+HRDT which is for most normals ar9 (as their base is 5) xD And then I just kinda transitioned into insanes at ar9.
Only once you increase your collection of songs you start finding the old songs that have lower AR and are still good maps, but its already too late as if 99% of stuff you play is ar9, its just a mess and unfun to read anything lower, you are just not used to it. And yes practicing lower ARs might be good for you in the long run but when its just not fun, is it really worth it? So yeah, just have mappers put some difficulty between normal and hard so new people don't have to play HRDT and learn the bad habit of fast AR :P

And second reason... it's like really exciting playing higher ARs (explains the HR popularity.. that or people want free PP xD), maybe I like it higher as I come from long history of twitch shooters (which btw don't help you at all to become good at osu :() so I like putting my reflexes into the front lines. Unlike lower AR which tests your ability to read like when you read note sheets for playing instruments. Its like a completely different game for me playing low or high AR and I just really enjoy the high ones, that's all there is to it.

Blue Dragon wrote:

Quick reminder that AR9 is already considered unreadable by most players because of being too slow, at least 9.5 is required to be 'playable' now.
this guy gets it! Now I just hope mappers start putting 9.5 even for 4.5star insanes xD
Noctali

SteveRowland wrote:

Well I would be fine with it being unranked if it wasn't like the currently unranked mods - those (auto and relax) don't even show you your acc and stuff during the play, you can't see misses etc. And also I would like to have local leaderboards at least with this, just like unranked maps (edited to comfortable AR etc) do.
It really helps practice when you can see how much you are improving over your older results. So if you can make these things work with an unranked mode, I'd be fine with it since it would save me time going to editor to change these things and help with spectating etc.
Would make sense, indeed (even though imo Relax & Auto-pilot are no good practice mods, or at least Relax is but the second isn't...).
That topic's already being discussed here : Autopilot/Relax saved in local scores

Blue Dragon wrote:

Depends on the person, I guess. Some people like lower ARs, gameplay isn't even the same depending on what AR's used. I find myself being well better at playing some beatmaps with AR9.3/9.5 than with AR9, but I'm only satisfied when I hit a good score on the lower one. Harder to read but better to practice with, since it helps being able to see multiple hit-objects.
Kynan
Peppy pls !
Tsunderplane

Kynan wrote:

Peppy pls !
same tbh
Fredy
How this can have 1400 points?! This is bad idea... First, the score multiplier for each combination... There are a lot if you can change it. Second, you are changing a map that someone maked so for anything, i think that changing the sr, cs of the map is like not caring and discarded the work of other. Third, this isn't too important but make a good rank in the map will be too hard a cause of bigger scored of top players.
Ps: sort if im bad expressed or wrong sentences, my English bad
Kynan

Fredyx2000 wrote:

How this can have 1400 points?! This is bad idea... First, the score multiplier for each combination... There are a lot if you can change it. Second, you are changing a map that someone maked so for anything, i think that changing the sr, cs of the map is like not caring and discarded the work of other. Third, this isn't too important but make a good rank in the map will be too hard a cause of bigger scored of top players.
Ps: sort if im bad expressed or wrong sentences, my English bad
How does changing the AR/OD affect the mapper's work at all ? Even today some mappers make maps that are over 5 stars and put OD7 on it. I find that really fuckin' stupid and a map that is that hard should AT LEAST be OD8. So allowing players to change that and get the deserved points out of it should be a thing.

As for the AR I'm part of the "it's preference so should be adjustable by the player" team but salty people are just gonna at me with the "haha you can't read noob" since they got no argument. Any argument could be countered by asking them why mania allows people to choose their scrolling speed but they would just say "meh different game so not comparable" but that's, again, not an argument since you could force them to use a fixed scrollspeed chosen by the mapper as well, but that would make what is already a flowed game mode even less enjoyable.

So IMHO, CS/AR/OD should be adjustable, and that wouldn't affect any mapper whatsoever and it would just make EVERYONE happy. Except maybe the salty people playing EZNF all day and braging about how "good" they are at "reading"...
Endaris
w00t Kynan, did you ever actually make a map yourself?
The chosen AR does affect the mapping process. Patterns and arrangements are mapped with a certain AR in mind and a different AR might lead to a pattern playing differently.
If you want to ignore the mapper's creative work you can still go into the editor and do your stuff.

If you're playing the game for pp you should just skip on maps that don't give you the "deserved points". None forces you to play these and they didn't get mapped with the sole purpose to be farmable for pp by some overly competitive players that can only be satisfied if their big number grows even bigger.
It is widely known that pp is only a mediocre reflection of skill. It can NOT be the solution to touch ranked/approved works to fix a problem of the pp-system.
GhostFrog
Oh hey, this thread again.

Still great as unranked mod. Still awful as ranked mod.
show more