forum

Summer 2013 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
NoHitter
Monogatari Season 2 - Loyal to the LN, and retains that style and animation that the previous series had. Can't expect more than that :P

Rozen Maiden - Holy plot change, and fast movement of plot. The preview also presents a lot of questions. I have no idea how this will go at all, but I will watch the next episode.
Synchrostar
Free! - lol @ everyone saying this show is gay, it's good

Highschool DxD New - Yes more Rias, more Koneko and we also get Xenovia and Irina~. I might just reread volumes 3 and 4 of the LN as to see how they will animate it.

Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS - Oh~ more loliball~
KinkiN
Highschool DxD NEW - 90 % Fanservice , 10 % Epic Story & Plot for this season! Yaoi between Kiba and Iseei may be possible too LMAO. Ah also moar harem for Issei

Ro-Kyu-Bu SS - Another season for Sports Loli Anime \:D/

Blood-Lad - Hilarious

Haven't watched/ download the others. will post moar soon (maybe)
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Here are the rest of my reviews. I'll focus on getting the chart up and running very soon.

Silver Spoon: I have no idea why I watched this. I disliked the manga, and even though anime has a decent budget, I can't apprecitate slightly dramatized farm life.

Gachaman Crowds: I don't think there is anything going for this show besides its name. Ugly characters, fairly boring action scenes and jokes I can't laugh at. Dropped.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi One of the better plot series this season. I should probably read the manga soon, but the characters seem to be unique, animation is passable, and there is a bit of humor and drama here and there. This could be good

Yami Shibai:
Low budget horror is just weird to watch... Since horror is not for me, and the budget was extermely low, dropped.

Monogatari Series: Second Season:
Well the monogatari series is back with more shafty black scenes, slide shows, fanservice. You all probably know what you are getting into, so won;'t say more.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya: Well we now know where silver link put all its money this season. Solid animation combined with good dose of humor. I think silver link might be set to making money this season (as long as they don't do anything stupid.....)

I think that is everything so far. I might have watched a show and not documented it.

Edit: New chart is up, please tell me what you think of the format
vizzy
I love Free!, Kiniro Mosaic, Love Lab and Servant x Service the most.
NoHitter
Fate/illya - Don't really like the animation style because it's too "sparkly" for my tastes, but I guess it fits the concept of the show. I'm hoping that this will turn out great. The first episodes seems interesting enough.

Watamote - Seriously. This anime. This is a hyperbole of every single insecurity, introverted and socially awkward people experience. I can't say I haven't experienced any of those scenes so far (albeit to a lesser degree), and laughed at other parts, but at the same time I get all frustrated when watching some scenes. Probably its because of how they introduced the main character as an unlikable person, but *shrugs*
Mogsy
Watamote is actually a pretty accurate depiction of someone with crippling social anxiety. First-hand basis on this one at points when I was younger.

Silver Spoon- It's not bad. It needs to focus on its characters more, though, as the idealized farm life stuff is kinda dull to me. Arakawa can do characters well, we just need to see him do that here. Tomohiko Ito did something watchable but not amazing again.

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou - Seriously, you guys, I have to reiterate: THIS SHOW IS PATHETIC. It's easily the worst thing in an already terrible season, and if you encourage stuff like this, it's only going to diminish the quality of anime. Fuck this tripe.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Charts are fully updated.

However, I have to ask, Mogs, how much did you torture yourself with Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou. It sounds like you watched more eps after the first one. (I have to admit that the series does seem to progressively get worse after each ep)

Brothers Conflict: Seems like Brains Base is making boring, low quality shoujo again. Dropped
Tenshichan
/late again

Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation: Was waiting for this and it didn't let me down, I love all the characters so far, very cute >w<
Danganronpa: The Animation: Pls no. I really thought this is going to be awesome after the first episode, but the pink blood censoring (please let me know if there is/will be any version without that) and the fact that everything presented so far is completely nonsense and disappointing in my eyes. I will try to still keep up with it (my opinions might change), but for now I have to critisize it, cause It's really not what I expected.
Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou: The story is really lame but I find this Anime funny, and refreshing, thats why Im going to keep watching it.
Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu: I somehow like it lol. It has something which keeps you watching even though it is not really exciting. Hope it keeps it up.

I'm still lazy and will watch the rest soon, maybe write then again here.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Evil people making me create new columns xD
I also can't believe I forgot to put Neptunia on the list.....

Everything is updated
Mogsy

blissfulyoshi wrote:

However, I have to ask, Mogs, how much did you torture yourself with Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou. It sounds like you watched more eps after the first one. (I have to admit that the series does seem to progressively get worse after each ep)
I gave it 3. It only gets worse and worse and worse and I guess it just makes me angry that this shit is getting fans when it's such a major disaster of a project.

Tenshichan wrote:

pink blood censoring (please let me know if there is/will be any version without that)
Pay attention to the source material before making this complaint, please~ It was in the PSP game to allow it to actually be on the system, and it adds to the overall pop art-influenced style.

Okiedoke, so, more thoughts. Short bursts.

Dangan Ronpa - The direction here proves that this director is just not very good at his job. It's only for people who have played the game and people who weren't fans before are bound to be alienated.

Neptunia - Ugh, no. Simultaneously horrendously-directed and horrendously pandery. Quite accurate to the source material!

Gatchaman Crowds - I do see where the hate is coming from on this. Hajime can be pretty irritating and the pace is quite frantic. However, the overall style and tone is very cheeky and cheery, and after a few episodes, I can tell this show's going to very interesting places.

Yami Shibai - Interesting for a short horror tale. I like creepy things, so why not~
Tenshichan

Mogsworth wrote:

Tenshichan wrote:

pink blood censoring (please let me know if there is/will be any version without that)
Pay attention to the source material before making this complaint, please~ It was in the PSP game to allow it to actually be on the system, and it adds to the overall pop art-influenced style.
Sorry, I didn't know that. Still it's quite a shame to me, because it somehow ruined the atmosphere I was in.
I was like super excited, and when I saw that girl covered in pink blood, it was all crushed in an instant lol
Synchrostar
Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation - Nepgear's mine. Oh yeah i expected fanservice, i got fanservice

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - Yo loli gravedigger. loli -> good

blissfulyoshi wrote:

I also can't believe I forgot to put Neptunia on the list.....
pls die yoshi ):
Tenshichan
Fantasista Doll: Really weird story, but the characters are cute.
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou: Magical Girl and Horror in a mix - very unusual, but I enjoy it so far.
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi: Really good stuff. The most recent episode was so touching, too!
Kiniro Mosaic: Cute girls and lots of comedy! /me likes
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku: Nope. Boring, and a totally overuse of "side comments" from the "MC", which get annoying as fuck.
Love Lab: Hilariously funny! Love this one.
Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS: Moe Lolis, nuff said.
Servant x Service: Exceptional setting, but overall I found this really boring.

There are still like 5 Animes more to come, keeping me busy ^_^
GeeNX
Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation: I am liking it, but I think this anime shouldn't be 13 chapters, it should be at least 25, because every chapter 1 person dies, and they investigate on 5 min and they do the trial. I think we should get to know more the characters and like half of more of a chapter investigating etc.... but I am just into this kind of anime so yeah I liked it
Free!: I find it somehow similar to KnB and I really like it, Haru is cool.
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi: The first chapter didn't impress me so much, still I will give it some more chapters to see if it convinces me or not.
Senyuu. 2: Anime that makes you laugh on less than 5 min, what more do you want. Ridiculously funny
Blood Lad: It's funny, not too much fanservice though I wouldn't dislike it anyway, comedy, vampires and that stuff.
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!:This girl is awesome and funny xD I am sure this anime will bring me some enjoyable hours
Love Lab: It was supposed to make me laugh? Dunno maybe I had a bad day but...I just can't for now with this anime.

It's the first time I do something like this, so probably I did it more or less wrong.
Zerostarry
Neptunia: Oh my god it's so cute it's perfect it has everything. I never played the games though, but I don't want to.

Danganronpa: I played the PSP game after watching the first episode. The anime really doesn't compare.
Apex_old
Danganronpa: The Animation: I'm heavily disappointed. It's like they fast forwarded the game 3 times and the plotline is as sensible as the hallucinatory images you see when you are on acid. The game it self has holes all over the plot, but the gaming systems and weirdly awesome characters managed to clog the holes. The anime doesn't have the effects, and character development is shallow. Do it with the sequel and I'll hate you forever, because Mikan is my favorite female VG character.

Ro-Kyu-Bu SS: This, like HotD is one of the shows I regretted to watch and watching it automatically says you're an asshole. The lolis might be pleasing to the eyes, but the cliche plotline is really getting on my nerves.

Free!: K-On for the ladies. Damn it Kyoto Animation, you're making me bisexual.

Love Lab: I was introduced when I see a picture of yandere Mika Matsuo, and I was hooked into it. Above average. Funny, and actually very cute sometimes.

Hyperdimension Neptunia: No obvious advantage except the good appearance of the characters.

Silver Spoon: Gintama of the farms. No annoying characters. Very Good.
UnderminE
Aaah I am missing all shows because my laptop is dead. ;_; Though I am all fine with re-watching Hajime no Ippo before the 3rd season comes

Though I can only tell Free! rocks gay swimming ftw (tachibana <3)

Danganronpa: The Animation: Originals are always better.

Edit: Oh true I actually watched some new things:

Gin no Saji / Silver Spoon(Or something like that): Things about agriculture are always fun, this is just like Moyashimon without bacterias. Fun fun <3
Servant x Service: Classic josei-like Slice of life. After all of shit series, somehow this show is cheering me up. There is not that much good slice-of-life about office life, plus characters are fun too (Lucy's full name). Hasebe makes the show.
Monogatari: Senjougahara <3
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya: Watching it for Ilya.
God Only Knows: Sadly they are just trying to keep it up, I am watching it because of Elsie. Though they said new characters are better but meh, they will just re-do everything from the start and old characters will show up again (Library girl tho <3).
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
As a small note, the chart should be fully updated to this point. As stated before, any errors in it is your responsibility.
Tenshichan
Now here is the rest finally^^:
Blood Lad: Really good Anime, I like the setting and the characters so far
Monogatari Series SS: I enjoyed all the prequels, and this one didnt let me down yet either
Watamote: Really the best Anime of this season imo, I enjoyed every second so far, and Tomoko is just so damn adorable ><"
Remonwater
Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai III: Megami Hen I'm a huge fan of kami nomi, and I think manglobe is doing a pretty damn good job adapting the manga. Given only 1 cour, it is obvious that they would have to cut scenes out, which is sad, but I still love this series because all the characters are just great
Monogatari: Second Season don't have much to say about this series besides i like it, along with all the other monogataris

Kiniro Mosaic this show is just so moe holy shit, and it's funny. it's a nice, saccharine anime that never fails to put a smile on my face and is great to watch after a tiring day

Free!surprisingly enjoying this show. it's actually pretty damn funny and the fan service doesnt annoy me too much(the last ep was quite a bit though) i love how haru takes his shirt off everytime he sees water haha

Ro Kyu Bu SS dropped this, it's moe and all but some of the scenes are just awkward and i am not a fan of watching basketball(even if it's lolis playing)

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! a bit depressing, but a bit funny and a unique protag
KuroyuriArlovS
Brothers Conflict - Hahaha oh God. Animation is crappy, and I haven't played the game but I liked the way they introduce the characters in the novel way better? The pace seems rushed in the anime. Honestly I'm watching this because I'm biased with some of the seiyuus so I think I won't drop this until it got way too horrible.

Danganronpa: The Animation - I'm already a fan of the DR franchise before the anime announced, and after months of waiting the anime didn't disappoint me. I wish they'd animate the free times too though, but there'll only be 12 episodes so can't really expect that.

Free! - Another masterpiece, as expected from KyoAni.

Gatchaman Crowds - I don't know a shit about the Gatchaman franchise before this one, and I absolutely have no complain about this spin-off. Animation is really nice, Hajime is such a cutie!

Highschool DxD New - More boobs! And it's Kiba my favorite character's turn to shine after being a figurine character for the entire first season so I'm liking it so far.

Kitakubu Katsudou Kirooku - Funny and really entertaining.

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist - I am pretty disappointed with the animation because I am a fan of Yukihiro Utako's works and holy god what have they done to their faces. Will continue watching though.

Rozen Maiden (2013) - I was a big fan of Peach-Pit and I have read the old Rozen Maiden manga but haven't read the new one. Since the anime is adapting the story from the new one and apparently has (slightly?) different story from the old one, I'm a bit confused. SO many arcs skipped in one episode, I can never understand DEEN's storyboarding. Animation doesn't disappoint (yet).

Senyuu. S2 - As hilarious as ever! And I really miss the cast.

Servant x Service - I almost didn't pick up this series because it looked boring, but I'm glad i picked this up. Characters are unique to each other and story is entertaining, really fun to watch.

Silver Spoon - Reminds me of Moyashimon, which I enjoy watching, except Silver Spoon is more to actual farming and Moyashimon is into studying microbes. And kind of out of context, but their school has a dormitory, which I can relate myself to. Man, I wish my school's dorm is like that.

Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3bu - Cute!! Awesome!! What else? Animation is satisfactory, and girls with (toy) guns are my favorite. I expect a lot from this anime.

--

Other Summer anime I'm planning to watch (downloaded but too lazy to watch yet o<-<): Blood Lad, Fantasista Doll, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Kiniro Mosaic, Love Lab, Uchouten Kazoku, Watamote, and probably Inu to Hasami and Kamisama Inai Nichiyoubi. Will write first impression as soon as I watched.

Also, did someone changed the chart format into the old one? A lot of anime aren't listed yet.

--

>>>UPDATE 8/14/2013 New Series added.<<<

Fantasista Doll - Pretty disappointed. In many ways. The characters looked cute but their personality didn't match what I had in my mind. If you're going to make some moeshit show, then at least pour your soul into it!. Giving this show another chance though.

Hyperdimension Neptunia - With that cast list and nice animation this show has potential, the story also seemed interesting. I'm just a bit disappointed at Neptune. Katana doesn't suit her when she has that kind of cheerful personality!
Synchrostar
Kaminomi - I guess it's ok, might as well watch it since I've watched all the previous airings. Keima is boss btw