forum

Windows 8 App Style Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Dexus
You know how Windows 8 apps open, It'd be nice if osu! was able to open like that and be usable in the task list on the side. Possibly compatible with snapping as well? Basically windows 8 metro support I guess.
D33d
That would require a ground-up recode or a cumbersome port.
Shohei Ohtani
so do you mean like

Or like I don't get it.
Kuro

CDFA wrote:

so do you mean like

Or like I don't get it.
Nah he means like how it flips over when you click the panel and it shows the icon before it opens
I guess I'll just use IE10 right quick and show an example

D33d wrote:

That would require a ground-up recode or a cumbersome port.
But this is pretty much the issue for stuff like this ^
Topic Starter
Dexus
Well if osu! continues on to being only OpenGL then it wont really be a problem. I'm not sure how exactly apps are made in windows 8 but I know they run off of OpenGL. Chrome seemed to make it in pretty easy. All it has is the initial opening of the program and then it is in the list of apps on the left side. The rest of it is all the same. I figured it wouldn't be that hard to port over osu!
peppy
It's a touch more complicated than that, and I'm not sure it can be done with a single executable. I plan on looking into it at some point, though.
Topic Starter
Dexus
I figured it's more complicated than what I stated, but I'm just saying what I see is happening (using chrome as an example mostly). Take your time with this though because there's more important stuff out there to be done. (like working on removing xna from osu! and implementing ppv2, etc)
D33d
If nothing else, I suppose that having it run as a fullscreen app would be good for those who prefer fullscreen. Moreover, it'd be easier(?) to switch to and from the game and it'd also be possible to dock other apps alongside it.

I have to say that it'd be nice to see osu! being promoted on the Windows Store, especially because Microsoft are supposedly going to improve the store layout. Perhaps it might encroach on osu!stream if that were to ever be ported, but that doesn't seem to be in the pipeline yet.
peppy
osu! will never be distributed on the windows store, nor any other store. I have no interest in this.
Marcin
How about stream version?
D33d

Marcin wrote:

Keep dreaming.
quaternary
Would it be possible to create a separate launcher that flips over, then launches the "real" osu.exe?

-- someone who has no clue how to write windows 8 apps, and does not own win8
Shohei Ohtani
is this really like such a huge neccessity to add to the game like.
Kuro

CDFA wrote:

Not really
You can always just add a tile for it on the start screen. It won't do the animation because its not an app but it'll automatically switch to the desktop and still launch the game
D33d

Kuro wrote:

CDFA wrote:

Not really
You can always just add a tile for it on the start screen. It won't do the animation because its not an app but it'll automatically switch to the desktop and still launch the game
Exactly what I did. It's a non-issue. Maybe somebody could write an app which reads data, such as messages and subscribed threads. That might be very useful, as it would give the user plenty of information in the tile.
pixeldesu
I think this is quite unneccesary. osu! is a desktop application and distributing it as a Store App, what is kind-of needed to make Tile-Apps, is never going to be happen and also would end up to be a fullscreen app (because there are no windowed apps available).

Like Kuro said, you always can add a tile to the start screen (which is in some cases automatically created after installing something).
peppy
It doesn't need to be a "store app" to launch correctly from the welcome screen.

Marcin wrote:

This is on my bucket list, for sure.
pixeldesu

peppy wrote:

It doesn't need to be a "store app" to launch correctly from the welcome screen.
You'd need to purchase a license to make them, thought.
Okay, purchasing a one-month license with logging in into your Microsoft/Office-Account.
Topic Starter
Dexus
Bump. I'm still interested in this happening.