Increase minimum priority to rank [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
69
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
show more
anonymous_old

Real1 wrote:

I disagree. Why? Because the kd system doesn't work anyways.
I think this topic is geared more toward the priority system than the kudosu system.

fufe only mentions kd to point out kd stars.
peppy
I think Real1 is a lurker and should stop posting in these threads.

When you say that BATs are still "sniping" maps, you need to first ask yourself: are those maps being ranked because they CAN be ranked without any changes? Having 20 priority doesn't mean the map is flawless - it just means people like that map/song. It may still require a lot more effort than what you consider maps that are being sniped.

I'm guessing in the case you mentioned (foulcoon's map) there were almost no mod posts? Because they weren't needed to get it ranked.

I'm not saying that sniping isn't happening, but unless it is well defined then you can't really accuse BATs of ignoring the priority system. Maybe we need a thread for (constructively) reporting BATs that are ignoring priority. Not for crying at us.
Topic Starter
fufe
Ill say again i can see why Bat map instarank canhappen but if this stuff happens and is justified when the map is of perfect quality then we should not have so many bubbles. Kinda off topic but kinda related i guess. Even if you recieve a bubble there is still no type of assurance whatsoever that the bubble map will be looked at, even if it is deemed perfect quality by one bat. And again, priority means nothing.

Ive gone around checking out who is looking at what and comparing the "priority" involved and its just sad and a spit in the face to the system.

its sad to see this happen.
Mapper 1: Ive 8 stars in less than a week, im ready for rankage! =D (gets ranked)

Mapper 2: Ive got 35 stars over the course of a month, 25 more to go to get top priority D; (unseen)
-mapper 2 may be bad mapper.. but mapper2 may also be pressured to recieve tons of overmodding just for the sake of having to pump that priority number.
Ryuukun
I agree with Rolled
Real1

peppy wrote:

I think Real1 is a lurker and should stop posting in these threads.
Sorry, Pep. >.<

I know 20 SP doesn't mean the map is flawless, but at 20, 30, 40 SP, a BAT should at least consider looking at it. But it seems like they don't. (Not saying all BATs are like this.)

I know... There was a map that was frequently bumped, with 20+ SP, 6 months old that had no BAT attention. It's like we have to beg BATs to look at them no matter how high the SP is and the age of the map. Which sucks because, they (the BATs) must hate getting requests all the time.

I see your point peppy... And I'm not here to argue. I merely stated how things seem to me.

I think I have talked enough about this by now, and I will stop. I hate drama... So it kinda sucks when I am the one creating it, eh?

On Topic.

After reading peppy post... And thinking twice...
Yes, a higher requirement may be good... But make it no higher than 10 IMO.
Echo
imho people need to learn how to map

song choice
mapping quality
sound effects
visual effects
new, inventive patterns

mapping is an art, just like drawing, music, etc.

if you don't pick the right song, don't map imaginatively, don't add interesting effects to give your map that extra oomph, your map will suck, and no one will want to look at it, no matter how many stars you have

there is no rule saying all uploaded maps will be ranked, and personally i don't think half the ranked maps should have been ranked in the first place
Ryuukun
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Rolled
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

Ryuukun wrote:

But making the guidlines too harsh will result in too many players with too less mappers.
You're saying there are too many maps for players to play?

Echo wrote:

imho people need to learn how to map

song choice
mapping quality
sound effects
visual effects
new, inventive patterns

mapping is an art, just like drawing, music, etc.

if you don't pick the right song, don't map imaginatively, don't add interesting effects to give your map that extra oomph, your map will suck, and no one will want to look at it, no matter how many stars you have
I don't think these are ranking criteria because they are subjective.

Also, any map has the destination of the graveyard, approval, or ranking. The pending and help forums are not where maps are supposed to stay.
Ryuukun
No i said that too harsh guidline will result in less people start to make maps.
and this could be the overkill for a young game like osu which is growing.
I see it in Stepmania.
Sometimes you play around 200 songs for 1 year.
I doubt it will ever come to this in osu but doesn't osu want players to contribute?
anonymous_old

Ryuukun wrote:

No i said that too harsh guidline will result in less people start to make maps.
and this could be the overkill for a young game like osu which is growing.
I see it in Stepmania.
Sometimes you play around 200 songs for 1 year.
I doubt it will ever come to this in osu but doesn't osu want players to contribute?
Yes, but it doesn't want the graveyard to pile up either. Effort builds maps, and getting your map modded and starred requires effort.

Experienced mappers have shown their effort time and time again.
RemmyX25
As I said earlier...

RemmyX25 wrote:

Priority =/= rankability.
Topic Starter
fufe
That wasnt really the issue, though my title kinda suggests it. Its not that priority isnt translating to rank. It is that priority means nothing in the current system.

This discussion has already been touched upon in the party foul thread.

so.. whats priority for?
anonymous_old

RemmyX25 wrote:

As I said earlier...

RemmyX25 wrote:

Priority =/= rankability.
Priority determines when a beatmap should be looked at.

This topic isn't about ranking, from what I now see, only what maps BAT's should look at.
CheeseWarlock
I focus on high priority maps, and sometimes I look at a lower priority map because someone asked nicely, I love the song, or I'm doing a mod trade. I'm fine with a slight increase, but 20 kd is absolutely out of line. Good maps deserve to get ranked, and mapping quality isn't by any means equivalent to star priority.

Star priority shows that the mapper has some amount of community involvement and/or dedication to their map, and that counts for something in my decisions of which map to mod. And I hope other mods share my opinion on this. But come on, give us some freedom. We do favours for friends sometimes, and there's a lot of friendship among BATs. Sure, we have our responsibilities, but we're not servants. We're members of the community who just happen to be charged with making decisions about which maps are high-quality.

As for Party Foul, I don't think ranking that quickly should happen all the time, but like I said, sometimes we look at each others' maps. And sometimes we find those maps to be worthy of ranking.
Topic Starter
fufe
lots of valid points.

I guess 20 is kinda crazy, but so is the amount of bubbles (not to mention those that probably do deserve bubbles) i just see 8 and even 10 to be very very easy to bypass.

one thing i can say without repeating myself too hard is that while -
"mapping quality isn't by any means equivalent to star priority. "
Star priority is the only means for some mappers to show that they might have some type of quality going.

One extra thing about party foul that prolly has no place here, going through it, its a simple style and has a few pattern imperfections that do not look intentional. Things that would NEVER be acceptable going through normal modding. Yet, i wont argue that it is fine as is and rankable.

So currently, most of us are forced to opt for overmodding to get priority. Then we must hope that there is a good amount of bats following priority. If we dont get said priority then we might get the "theres more important maps than urs!" bomb.

talkin in circles again so.. meh.
tieff
Hey, people... Don't forget it's only a game.
But I don't like current situation.
About foulcoon map... It was ranked without any mod post, but mod post it's not only tecnical mistakes, it's suggestions how improve your map.
RemmyX25

fufe wrote:

one thing i can say without repeating myself too hard is that while -
"mapping quality isn't by any means equivalent to star priority. "
Star priority is the only means for some mappers to show that they might have some type of quality going.
Unfortunately, to some, Star Priority just means you got a lot of people to play your map, thats it, and doesn't contribute to the map at all.

LuigiHann wrote:

Maybe bring back the BAT ranking leaderboard, and have higher-priority maps be worth the most points.
Yes please. +1 Support.

tieff wrote:

Hey, people... Don't forget it's only a game.
Cute. However, I have to agree. Too much bitching over a game.

tieff wrote:

About foulcoon map... It was ranked without any mod post, but mod post it's not only tecnical mistakes, it's suggestions how improve your map
This.

The reason Party Foul got ranked was because 2 BATs could not find a way to improve the map. I even played the map before it got ranked (just out of curiosity, without bubbling or anything) and thought it was fine.
Gabi
well i got a question then

how do the non famous mappers with maps that happen to be absolutley fine, get their maps looked at by bats with no/very low priority? if im going to get an answer like this "no other mappers have ever had perfect maps" then please dont comment <_< i've been around pending forums a few times so i know what im talking about.


again i dont wish to discuss this on the forums cause it usually ends up offending someone or i get misunderstood, so please if anyone would like to comment talk to me in irc.
Rolled

fufe wrote:

Things that would NEVER be acceptable going through normal modding.
no no no no. That is a whole new rant thread entirely. Maybe some of Part Foul wouldn't go through nazi-mod standards, but something such as a pattern imperfection should not stop a map from being ranked.

edit: @Gabi, that's where good reputation comes in hand. We all have friends, and friends do friends favors (as Cheesewarlock said.)

I also agree with Cheese's point (actually, all of them probably) that things like Party Foul should not happen often. But the thing is, it doesn't happen often. So cut us some slack, give us some freedom, and move on from party foul. I assure you that complaining about the system does not encourage BATs me, at least, to mod your maps.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply