forum

Increase minimum priority to rank [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
fufe
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
I agree. Bubbles shouldn't be given to maps the community hasn't looked at much. (Yes, the mapper could kd-star spam, but if they have the kd they probably have a reason to push their map so much.)

I'm not sure if the current 8 star limit is for bubbling or ranking, but I think it'd be best to have a much higher limit for bubbling. 20 or 25 seems reasonable. A top N may work too (currently a +20 priority map has 72 maps ahead of it); top 50 seems pretty reasonable (if the top 50 includes current bubbles), so if the standard shifts so does the bubbling limit.
Rolled
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
I wonder if what Rolled said is the general opinion of BAT's or just Rolled's own opinion. To me it looks as if reputation has to do a lot with getting your ranked map, which I disagree with.
LuigiHann
Rolled
A good reputation is not required for your map to be ranked, but it definitely helps. Whether you are known to help a lot of users with their ranked maps, known to have made good maps in the past, or just a generally friendly person on IRC, your maps are more likely to get looked at by other people. No kudosu system that could ever be put in place will change that, it's just the society we live in.

I have a choice to mod one map. One of them is a person I've known through osu for years, has 10+ maps that I enjoy playing, and is a song I like. I have never seen the other person's name before, other than the daily "can you look at my beatmap" PM I see in my inbox. It's pretty apparent who's map I would look at first.

Maybe my logic is flawed here, but how many of you can say that you wouldn't do the same thing in the above example?

Also keep in mind that I am not saying I only mod my friends' maps. I will admit that I don't always go by the new rules set in place by the priority system, however. The two ways that I mod are either a mod exchange (regardless of their map's priority), or taking the first x requests given to me in IRC (again, regardless of priority). Not very often to I mod strictly by priority, though I do go on bubble popping/ranking rampages occasionally.

edit:

LuigiHann wrote:

Maybe bring back the BAT ranking leaderboard, and have higher-priority maps be worth the most points.
Absolutely brilliant idea.
anonymous_old

LuigiHann wrote:

I'm fairly neutral on this. If too many restrictions are placed on BATs, then the only result will be that fewer people want to be BATs. I could see the minimum being raised to like 10 or 12, but not much higher. I think what we really need now isn't more restrictions on ranking low-SP maps, but rather, more incentives to mod high-SP maps. Maybe bring back the BAT ranking leaderboard, and have higher-priority maps be worth the most points.
I'm sure you know what could happen if a BAT gets greedy.

IMO maps should be agreed upon by the community not a few BAT's. BAT's have the final word, of course, but community support is almost required for your average mapper (such as myself) and stars show community support.

EDIT:

Rolled wrote:

A good reputation is not required for your map to be ranked, but it definitely helps. Whether you are known to help a lot of users with their ranked maps, known to have made good maps in the past, or just a generally friendly person on IRC, your maps are more likely to get looked at by other people. No kudosu system that could ever be put in place will change that, it's just the society we live in.

I have a choice to mod one map. One of them is a person I've known through osu for years, has 10+ maps that I enjoy playing, and is a song I like. I have never seen the other person's name before, other than the daily "can you look at my beatmap" PM I see in my inbox. It's pretty apparently who's map I would look at first.

Maybe my logic is flawed here, but how many of you can say that you wouldn't do the same thing in the above example?
I don't disagree with that. In fact I do agree with you there; modding maps of mappers you are familiar with gives a greater chance of you not "wasting your time."

However, the main issue seems to be that the priority system is ignored. Why would it exist, then?
qlum
I agree on increasing the minimum since bats work to slow to mod and rank every map above 7. but 20 is a bit high I think 12 is reasonable.
Derekku
Mappers shouldn't have to befriend BATs in order to get their maps checked out. IMO BATs should go through the Pending/WIP queues in order of priority. Isn't this why there's a priority system in the first place?

I'm getting really sick of looking at some maps, getting ninja'd by BATs, and getting ranked without anyone else in the community looking at it. :|

EDIT: Damn, strager beat me to it again :<
Topic Starter
fufe
edit- wow like 5 posts before i could push post...

Main point- I want star priority to have some type of power.

tldr and bs

The reason i chose 20 was because of the massive number of 20+s already up. thats why i think something that operated off the top priority might be nice.

I agree that good maps should be ranked. But i also think there are some maps that are being completely overlooked. The issue is the actual maps that BATs tend to look at. It sucks to have top 10priority maps while 15 other maps are ranked with no kd. Bubbles are supposidly deemed Perfect by one BAT, yet we usually have a page of bubbles. They "should" be ranked if theyr perfect, but theres no second bat to look at them. This is one reason tag rank annoys people imo.

As for having to build a relationship with BATs, i one of the biggest points of the kudos system was so that this wouldnt haave to happen. I thought we were discouraging favoritism. this completely goes against the whole system. why earn kudos to pump my priority if it means NOTHING.

i dont see the point of 8star kd, it was to reduce instarank? bats generally have some trickle of kd as not everythign tehy look at will be perfect (right?) and they definately dont need to stock kd to pump maps for high priority so its EASILY possible for the first 2 bats to rank something.

Main point- I want star priority to have some type of power.
Derekku
Gabi
honestly, the first thing i thought when the kudosu system was set, was that BAT's would ONLY look at the top prior in the pending list and evenrually help out people who are having offset problems or bpm problems, or other questions.
Rolled
I never said that the way I handle modding beatmaps is the way things are currently being done. However, it has been the way I've handled modding beatmaps since 2007. It was only in the past months that it has become a problem.

My words about befriending BATs have gotten twisted a lot in this thread, and in IRC as well. When I say befriend, I don't mean you have to go over to their house and have a slumber party. All I am saying is, treat them as more than a person you need to get your beatmap ranked. If you show them respect, the respect will be mutual. At least for me, that is. Sending them a private message mod request as soon as you see them log on osu is not showing respect.

The priority system has worked wonders since it's been implemented, and overall it's a success. Let's be honest. This thread was created because of this being ranked so fast.

I had more to say but I forget. Got side-tracked zzz.
Derekku
Rolled, I like the way that you do your "you mod my map, I mod your's" thing, but that's not what people are upset about.

The problem is that BATs seem to not be looking at maps in a logical way; Even ones with high priority. Some people have 20/30+ priority and maybe only one BAT has looked at it. Then we see certain maps get ranked quickly (foulcoon's, for example), with very low priority. It seems like there's some favoritism going on.

EDIT: Yeah, maps have problems, but how do people expect to get their map looked at if BATs won't do it? Like I said, the priority system feels broke to me.
Real1
I disagree. Why? Because the kd system doesn't work anyways.
anonymous_old

Real1 wrote:

I disagree. Why? Because the kd system doesn't work anyways.
I think this topic is geared more toward the priority system than the kudosu system.

fufe only mentions kd to point out kd stars.
peppy
I think Real1 is a lurker and should stop posting in these threads.

When you say that BATs are still "sniping" maps, you need to first ask yourself: are those maps being ranked because they CAN be ranked without any changes? Having 20 priority doesn't mean the map is flawless - it just means people like that map/song. It may still require a lot more effort than what you consider maps that are being sniped.

I'm guessing in the case you mentioned (foulcoon's map) there were almost no mod posts? Because they weren't needed to get it ranked.

I'm not saying that sniping isn't happening, but unless it is well defined then you can't really accuse BATs of ignoring the priority system. Maybe we need a thread for (constructively) reporting BATs that are ignoring priority. Not for crying at us.
Topic Starter
fufe
Ill say again i can see why Bat map instarank canhappen but if this stuff happens and is justified when the map is of perfect quality then we should not have so many bubbles. Kinda off topic but kinda related i guess. Even if you recieve a bubble there is still no type of assurance whatsoever that the bubble map will be looked at, even if it is deemed perfect quality by one bat. And again, priority means nothing.

Ive gone around checking out who is looking at what and comparing the "priority" involved and its just sad and a spit in the face to the system.

its sad to see this happen.
Mapper 1: Ive 8 stars in less than a week, im ready for rankage! =D (gets ranked)

Mapper 2: Ive got 35 stars over the course of a month, 25 more to go to get top priority D; (unseen)
-mapper 2 may be bad mapper.. but mapper2 may also be pressured to recieve tons of overmodding just for the sake of having to pump that priority number.
Ryuukun
I agree with Rolled
Real1

peppy wrote:

I think Real1 is a lurker and should stop posting in these threads.
Sorry, Pep. >.<

I know 20 SP doesn't mean the map is flawless, but at 20, 30, 40 SP, a BAT should at least consider looking at it. But it seems like they don't. (Not saying all BATs are like this.)

I know... There was a map that was frequently bumped, with 20+ SP, 6 months old that had no BAT attention. It's like we have to beg BATs to look at them no matter how high the SP is and the age of the map. Which sucks because, they (the BATs) must hate getting requests all the time.

I see your point peppy... And I'm not here to argue. I merely stated how things seem to me.

I think I have talked enough about this by now, and I will stop. I hate drama... So it kinda sucks when I am the one creating it, eh?

On Topic.

After reading peppy post... And thinking twice...
Yes, a higher requirement may be good... But make it no higher than 10 IMO.
Echo
imho people need to learn how to map

song choice
mapping quality
sound effects
visual effects
new, inventive patterns

mapping is an art, just like drawing, music, etc.

if you don't pick the right song, don't map imaginatively, don't add interesting effects to give your map that extra oomph, your map will suck, and no one will want to look at it, no matter how many stars you have

there is no rule saying all uploaded maps will be ranked, and personally i don't think half the ranked maps should have been ranked in the first place
Ryuukun
show more