forum

Increase minimum priority to rank [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
show more
qlum
I agree on increasing the minimum since bats work to slow to mod and rank every map above 7. but 20 is a bit high I think 12 is reasonable.
Derekku
Mappers shouldn't have to befriend BATs in order to get their maps checked out. IMO BATs should go through the Pending/WIP queues in order of priority. Isn't this why there's a priority system in the first place?

I'm getting really sick of looking at some maps, getting ninja'd by BATs, and getting ranked without anyone else in the community looking at it. :|

EDIT: Damn, strager beat me to it again :<
Topic Starter
fufe
edit- wow like 5 posts before i could push post...

Main point- I want star priority to have some type of power.

tldr and bs

The reason i chose 20 was because of the massive number of 20+s already up. thats why i think something that operated off the top priority might be nice.

I agree that good maps should be ranked. But i also think there are some maps that are being completely overlooked. The issue is the actual maps that BATs tend to look at. It sucks to have top 10priority maps while 15 other maps are ranked with no kd. Bubbles are supposidly deemed Perfect by one BAT, yet we usually have a page of bubbles. They "should" be ranked if theyr perfect, but theres no second bat to look at them. This is one reason tag rank annoys people imo.

As for having to build a relationship with BATs, i one of the biggest points of the kudos system was so that this wouldnt haave to happen. I thought we were discouraging favoritism. this completely goes against the whole system. why earn kudos to pump my priority if it means NOTHING.

i dont see the point of 8star kd, it was to reduce instarank? bats generally have some trickle of kd as not everythign tehy look at will be perfect (right?) and they definately dont need to stock kd to pump maps for high priority so its EASILY possible for the first 2 bats to rank something.

Main point- I want star priority to have some type of power.
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gabi
honestly, the first thing i thought when the kudosu system was set, was that BAT's would ONLY look at the top prior in the pending list and evenrually help out people who are having offset problems or bpm problems, or other questions.
Rolled
I never said that the way I handle modding beatmaps is the way things are currently being done. However, it has been the way I've handled modding beatmaps since 2007. It was only in the past months that it has become a problem.

My words about befriending BATs have gotten twisted a lot in this thread, and in IRC as well. When I say befriend, I don't mean you have to go over to their house and have a slumber party. All I am saying is, treat them as more than a person you need to get your beatmap ranked. If you show them respect, the respect will be mutual. At least for me, that is. Sending them a private message mod request as soon as you see them log on osu is not showing respect.

The priority system has worked wonders since it's been implemented, and overall it's a success. Let's be honest. This thread was created because of this being ranked so fast.

I had more to say but I forget. Got side-tracked zzz.
Derekku
Rolled, I like the way that you do your "you mod my map, I mod your's" thing, but that's not what people are upset about.

The problem is that BATs seem to not be looking at maps in a logical way; Even ones with high priority. Some people have 20/30+ priority and maybe only one BAT has looked at it. Then we see certain maps get ranked quickly (foulcoon's, for example), with very low priority. It seems like there's some favoritism going on.

EDIT: Yeah, maps have problems, but how do people expect to get their map looked at if BATs won't do it? Like I said, the priority system feels broke to me.
Real1
I disagree. Why? Because the kd system doesn't work anyways.
anonymous_old

Real1 wrote:

I disagree. Why? Because the kd system doesn't work anyways.
I think this topic is geared more toward the priority system than the kudosu system.

fufe only mentions kd to point out kd stars.
peppy
I think Real1 is a lurker and should stop posting in these threads.

When you say that BATs are still "sniping" maps, you need to first ask yourself: are those maps being ranked because they CAN be ranked without any changes? Having 20 priority doesn't mean the map is flawless - it just means people like that map/song. It may still require a lot more effort than what you consider maps that are being sniped.

I'm guessing in the case you mentioned (foulcoon's map) there were almost no mod posts? Because they weren't needed to get it ranked.

I'm not saying that sniping isn't happening, but unless it is well defined then you can't really accuse BATs of ignoring the priority system. Maybe we need a thread for (constructively) reporting BATs that are ignoring priority. Not for crying at us.
Topic Starter
fufe
Ill say again i can see why Bat map instarank canhappen but if this stuff happens and is justified when the map is of perfect quality then we should not have so many bubbles. Kinda off topic but kinda related i guess. Even if you recieve a bubble there is still no type of assurance whatsoever that the bubble map will be looked at, even if it is deemed perfect quality by one bat. And again, priority means nothing.

Ive gone around checking out who is looking at what and comparing the "priority" involved and its just sad and a spit in the face to the system.

its sad to see this happen.
Mapper 1: Ive 8 stars in less than a week, im ready for rankage! =D (gets ranked)

Mapper 2: Ive got 35 stars over the course of a month, 25 more to go to get top priority D; (unseen)
-mapper 2 may be bad mapper.. but mapper2 may also be pressured to recieve tons of overmodding just for the sake of having to pump that priority number.
Ryuukun
I agree with Rolled
Real1

peppy wrote:

I think Real1 is a lurker and should stop posting in these threads.
Sorry, Pep. >.<

I know 20 SP doesn't mean the map is flawless, but at 20, 30, 40 SP, a BAT should at least consider looking at it. But it seems like they don't. (Not saying all BATs are like this.)

I know... There was a map that was frequently bumped, with 20+ SP, 6 months old that had no BAT attention. It's like we have to beg BATs to look at them no matter how high the SP is and the age of the map. Which sucks because, they (the BATs) must hate getting requests all the time.

I see your point peppy... And I'm not here to argue. I merely stated how things seem to me.

I think I have talked enough about this by now, and I will stop. I hate drama... So it kinda sucks when I am the one creating it, eh?

On Topic.

After reading peppy post... And thinking twice...
Yes, a higher requirement may be good... But make it no higher than 10 IMO.
Echo
imho people need to learn how to map

song choice
mapping quality
sound effects
visual effects
new, inventive patterns

mapping is an art, just like drawing, music, etc.

if you don't pick the right song, don't map imaginatively, don't add interesting effects to give your map that extra oomph, your map will suck, and no one will want to look at it, no matter how many stars you have

there is no rule saying all uploaded maps will be ranked, and personally i don't think half the ranked maps should have been ranked in the first place
Ryuukun
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Rolled
anonymous_old

Ryuukun wrote:

But making the guidlines too harsh will result in too many players with too less mappers.
You're saying there are too many maps for players to play?

Echo wrote:

imho people need to learn how to map

song choice
mapping quality
sound effects
visual effects
new, inventive patterns

mapping is an art, just like drawing, music, etc.

if you don't pick the right song, don't map imaginatively, don't add interesting effects to give your map that extra oomph, your map will suck, and no one will want to look at it, no matter how many stars you have
I don't think these are ranking criteria because they are subjective.

Also, any map has the destination of the graveyard, approval, or ranking. The pending and help forums are not where maps are supposed to stay.
Ryuukun
No i said that too harsh guidline will result in less people start to make maps.
and this could be the overkill for a young game like osu which is growing.
I see it in Stepmania.
Sometimes you play around 200 songs for 1 year.
I doubt it will ever come to this in osu but doesn't osu want players to contribute?
anonymous_old

Ryuukun wrote:

No i said that too harsh guidline will result in less people start to make maps.
and this could be the overkill for a young game like osu which is growing.
I see it in Stepmania.
Sometimes you play around 200 songs for 1 year.
I doubt it will ever come to this in osu but doesn't osu want players to contribute?
Yes, but it doesn't want the graveyard to pile up either. Effort builds maps, and getting your map modded and starred requires effort.

Experienced mappers have shown their effort time and time again.
RemmyX25
As I said earlier...

RemmyX25 wrote:

Priority =/= rankability.
Topic Starter
fufe
That wasnt really the issue, though my title kinda suggests it. Its not that priority isnt translating to rank. It is that priority means nothing in the current system.

This discussion has already been touched upon in the party foul thread.

so.. whats priority for?
anonymous_old

RemmyX25 wrote:

As I said earlier...

RemmyX25 wrote:

Priority =/= rankability.
Priority determines when a beatmap should be looked at.

This topic isn't about ranking, from what I now see, only what maps BAT's should look at.
CheeseWarlock
I focus on high priority maps, and sometimes I look at a lower priority map because someone asked nicely, I love the song, or I'm doing a mod trade. I'm fine with a slight increase, but 20 kd is absolutely out of line. Good maps deserve to get ranked, and mapping quality isn't by any means equivalent to star priority.

Star priority shows that the mapper has some amount of community involvement and/or dedication to their map, and that counts for something in my decisions of which map to mod. And I hope other mods share my opinion on this. But come on, give us some freedom. We do favours for friends sometimes, and there's a lot of friendship among BATs. Sure, we have our responsibilities, but we're not servants. We're members of the community who just happen to be charged with making decisions about which maps are high-quality.

As for Party Foul, I don't think ranking that quickly should happen all the time, but like I said, sometimes we look at each others' maps. And sometimes we find those maps to be worthy of ranking.
Topic Starter
fufe
lots of valid points.

I guess 20 is kinda crazy, but so is the amount of bubbles (not to mention those that probably do deserve bubbles) i just see 8 and even 10 to be very very easy to bypass.

one thing i can say without repeating myself too hard is that while -
"mapping quality isn't by any means equivalent to star priority. "
Star priority is the only means for some mappers to show that they might have some type of quality going.

One extra thing about party foul that prolly has no place here, going through it, its a simple style and has a few pattern imperfections that do not look intentional. Things that would NEVER be acceptable going through normal modding. Yet, i wont argue that it is fine as is and rankable.

So currently, most of us are forced to opt for overmodding to get priority. Then we must hope that there is a good amount of bats following priority. If we dont get said priority then we might get the "theres more important maps than urs!" bomb.

talkin in circles again so.. meh.
tieff
Hey, people... Don't forget it's only a game.
But I don't like current situation.
About foulcoon map... It was ranked without any mod post, but mod post it's not only tecnical mistakes, it's suggestions how improve your map.
RemmyX25

fufe wrote:

one thing i can say without repeating myself too hard is that while -
"mapping quality isn't by any means equivalent to star priority. "
Star priority is the only means for some mappers to show that they might have some type of quality going.
Unfortunately, to some, Star Priority just means you got a lot of people to play your map, thats it, and doesn't contribute to the map at all.

LuigiHann wrote:

Maybe bring back the BAT ranking leaderboard, and have higher-priority maps be worth the most points.
Yes please. +1 Support.

tieff wrote:

Hey, people... Don't forget it's only a game.
Cute. However, I have to agree. Too much bitching over a game.

tieff wrote:

About foulcoon map... It was ranked without any mod post, but mod post it's not only tecnical mistakes, it's suggestions how improve your map
This.

The reason Party Foul got ranked was because 2 BATs could not find a way to improve the map. I even played the map before it got ranked (just out of curiosity, without bubbling or anything) and thought it was fine.
Gabi
well i got a question then

how do the non famous mappers with maps that happen to be absolutley fine, get their maps looked at by bats with no/very low priority? if im going to get an answer like this "no other mappers have ever had perfect maps" then please dont comment <_< i've been around pending forums a few times so i know what im talking about.

again i dont wish to discuss this on the forums cause it usually ends up offending someone or i get misunderstood, so please if anyone would like to comment talk to me in irc.
Rolled

fufe wrote:

Things that would NEVER be acceptable going through normal modding.
no no no no. That is a whole new rant thread entirely. Maybe some of Part Foul wouldn't go through nazi-mod standards, but something such as a pattern imperfection should not stop a map from being ranked.

edit: @Gabi, that's where good reputation comes in hand. We all have friends, and friends do friends favors (as Cheesewarlock said.)

I also agree with Cheese's point (actually, all of them probably) that things like Party Foul should not happen often. But the thing is, it doesn't happen often. So cut us some slack, give us some freedom, and move on from party foul. I assure you that complaining about the system does not encourage BATs me, at least, to mod your maps.
Topic Starter
fufe
vytalibus
I love how people keep putting "this damn debate" up again, yet seem to keep forgetting to stay on-topic.

Gabi wrote:

how do the non famous mappers with maps that happen to be absolutley fine, get their maps looked at by bats with no/very low priority?
This is a bit off-topic, but I'll answer you anyway.

Get non-BAT modders. Please include the possibility (and even the worth) of non-BAT modders out there that have been working so hard to improve maps that they're not even supposed to be concerned about. If you can't get their trust and approval, how more else can you get a BAT's?

The priority system does not increase the chances of getting your map ranked, but it sure makes us BATs conscious about them.

fufe wrote:

its sad to see this happen.
Mapper 1: Ive 8 stars in less than a week, im ready for rankage! =D (gets ranked)

Mapper 2: Ive got 35 stars over the course of a month, 25 more to go to get top priority D; (unseen)
-mapper 2 may be bad mapper.. but mapper2 may also be pressured to recieve tons of overmodding just for the sake of having to pump that priority number.
... fufe? I thought this thread is about the minimum priority to rank? Why are you discussing about ranking?

Anyway, I don't see anything to be saddened about those two situations.

Mapper one got his map ranked quickly, probably because he "got lucky" to get BATs to check his map. The BATs could've found no errors and decided to rank it.

Mapper two got his map modded very heavily. His map was prone to suggestions that increased the quality of his map even beyond his capabilities.

In the end, who gets the better deal? I'd say mapper two did. His map was chosen to receive improvements; the other one was probably just ranked for the hell of it. Those who followed the path of mapper two's had the better chance of having...

THE EPIC MAP EVER.

See? Mappers nowadays don't care how good their maps are. They just want them ranked, that's why. In the long run, the rating spread will tell you how good the maps really are. Players today can easily see a half-baked map from a fully-honed one.
anonymous_old

vytalibus wrote:

The priority system does not increase the chances of getting your map ranked, but it sure makes us BATs conscious about them.
I looked at this discussion in a different way:

The priority system should increase the chances of a higher-priority map getting looked at by a BAT.

To me it's not about ranking, though that is the ultimate goal.

(My reasoning for wanting to increase the star limit is to encourage BAT's to look at higher-priority maps.)
Topic Starter
fufe
To answer vyt, substitute 'rank' with 'get BAT attn' Ive been interchanging the two on basis of assuming the map is of quality(which i know it wont always be, just do so for the purpose of discussion).Maybe I forgot to put that in or deleted it along the way.

mapper one's 'luck' was previously described as friendly relations with BATs so i bet it could happen but im not sure i buy that outright.

as for mapper 2's heavy modding. it may just be me, but i dont really trust some of the modders out there. Sure the answer is just ignore them but the older a map get the more paranoid ive gotten that something is really wrong even though no 'professional' has been able to check it. Lets look back at Rolled's first post. If you have a perfect map then you shouldnt have to go through the bs of 30kd or 16people+2bats. Now, if you werent a BAT, you may have no choice.

In the end, the point was to try to reduce the instarank trend or make instaranks a bit harder so sp might hold more..priority... All this stuff was supposed to be an example of how priority can screw us .

After all this, I'm thinking sp requirement modification probably wont do much. I dont think the current requirement does anything. someone else can say something if they think it will.

Going to BAT rankings +incentive seemed to be one of the only supported solution, nobody mentioned that it might make people attack the lower ranked bats more directly?
Echo
For me personally, I'm not biased towards the status of the mapper, but more biased towards their mapping history. There are BATs whose maps I don't really like modding, just as there are normal players whose maps I don't really like modding, simply because they tend to be a bit boring. So if I get a bad impression of anyone's mapping quality, I tend to be not so enthusiastic about modding their map.

I think this is true for anyone who mods, and not just BATs: if a mapper has a history of lame maps, then people will try to avoid the mapper, which reduces the attention he gets for it. But if he has a history of extremely cool maps, then people will be tripping over themselves to mod the maps, which in turn results in a faster rank. For example, this happened with darri.

When modding a "normal" map, it's usually just *check timing* *run/play through the map* *note mistakes* *post mistakes* *star* *rinse and repeat (yawn)*

When modding a "cool" map, it was more like *check timing* *play thro- WOW THAT WAS AWESOME* *post awesomeness* *bubble/rank* *DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE!?/HEY MOD THIS GET IT RANKED IT'S AWESOME*

Personally, song choice accounts for over 50% of a map's awesomeness. If you don't choose a good song to map, imho no amount of exciting mapping can help boost the song's awesomeness. The song needs to be vibrant enough to allow for a (large) variety of rhythmic patterns (eg. look at Cross Time or Festival of the Ghosts) and compare it with a not so interesting song like Way of Difference.

Another thing is that the rhythmic variation of the song itself leads to the creation of creative patterns. You can't force creative patterns into songs that don't have enough variation - in this case it just turns into bad spacing/mapping.

I think I can write a thesis on the art of making beatmaps -.-
RemmyX25
Gens
@Echo: You're the MAN~ :)
K2J
I think a lot of these problems come from newbies being tricked into believing the system is unbiased, when it's obvious to anyone who spends a week or two here that it's a social system. Seeing the bubbles and star system when I first joined, I was convinced that the system was unbiased, with attention based solely on the map. After all, the main tenet of EBA was, in my mind, trying out new styles of music you weren't used to. "And hey, if anime-based maps are all the rage, surely the community will like my video game maps, too?" I imagine newcomers who see the Kudosu system think the same thing: "If I get enough Kudosu, people will mod my map, no matter how unpopular of a song I choose or how unknown I am".

In retrospect, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense; people don't download the map and then decide to play it - they usually look at the artist, title, and mapper to decide these things. I was misled into making map(s) that weren't very popular subjects with the very J-Pop oriented community, and I still suffer from these setbacks.

I believe there should be some sort of helpful guide to the more subjective points of mapping; sure, it feels really unfair that J-Pop and BAT-made maps get to the top of the list, but that's the way life works. We should warn newcomers that maybe mapping Egg Fleet isn't the best idea to start with - gain some reputation before you try maps that could potentially be obscure and unpopular. It would've helped me a lot.

My main point, in difference to Echo, is that song choice plays a much larger role on map visibility instead of map quality. You need to sell your map, not just put it up there and expect a mod.
Echo
@K2J: that's what the song preview is for :)
LuigiHann
K2J
That has no bearing on the map, though, just the MP3/OGG. You still cannot tell the quality of a map without downloading it.
Aoitenshi
show more