forum

Osu! Tutorial - 2013

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jawing
My first youtube video as an osu! tutorial.
Hope you guys enjoy it!

Tell your friends to watch it if they want to play osu!
I am sure they will be interested.

Stefan
Looks not bad. Some things bugged me:

- As Tutorial you really should use the default things. (Default Skin, default Visual Settings, etc.)
- The Background Music is - while you're talking - way too loud. I don't mind if it's getting louder while you don't say something.

Except of these things it looks really nice.
Topic Starter
Jawing
I did mention at some point why my skin looks different. :P

BGM is really that loud? I can hear everything clearly though.
Will3x
Nice tutorial !
the first thing that bugged me was the bg sound as well. yes, its too loud when your talking and gets distracting.

Heres what I would do: Lower the BG volume when your talking to, maybe, 60%. When your showing gameplay, and your NOT talking or showing instructions, you can change it back to 100% and so on.
a newbie
seems fine to me, nice work.
Kert
I liked that you explained stuff in a easy understandable way. Explanations of approach circles and other things like that involving video slowdown/arrows were nice too
But it's not a tutorial for newbies for sure (disregard all the text below if it wasn't aimed at them in the first place).

A few things to be mentioned:
1. I think you should use default skin/main menu background because that's what people will see when they first start the game. It will really confuse them to see something different
2. Video should have easier maps included, because not everyone can even follow what's happening on the screen on harder difficulties
3. Custom skins and stuff like that is pretty advanced and should be mentioned in the end of the video (including invisible 300 and your skin)
4. For some reason you show osu! as the last gamemode. It would be more logical to make it first
5. In the "how to pwn in osu" section the order of new things explained was a little strange. I believe explanations of hpbar, combo meter and other things should go to "how to play osu" section instead. Maybe mods too

Still in general it was a good video. 4/5 from me
Will3x
I missed the edit mode too..

anyways I love the songs you picked, they work really well in a tutorial video :)
Topic Starter
Jawing
Yeah...I might change the intro skin to the default skin if a lot of people are bothered by it.
In my opinion, the current skin looks cleaner and attracts more attention and I must mention why my skin looked asap like that so people can understand.

Because I mainly want to focus on the gameplay of osu!, I believe the current order of modes is correct (I end with osu! > I start with how to play osu!)

I do understand that easier difficulties should have been used (maybe 2-4 stars) but I did use slow motion to compensate.
Besides, it is much more fun if the game looks challenging.

It was a little strange how I explained the hpbar...etc around the end, but that fits perfectly with the gap (long pause of music) that I had in my video.
XPJ38
By the way, osu! is pronounced with a silent u: "oss", not "o-su" :P
Topic Starter
Jawing

XPJ38 wrote:

I know. I believe more people would correct my ENGLISH pronunciation if I pronounced it the JAPANESE way. ~I watch a ton of anime~
Frici
Nice tutorial! :)
CXu
Totally love the song/beatmap choice 8D
Topic Starter
Jawing
I can't think of any other song than Nishino Kana - Wishing that sound really good...even with doubletime.

It would be great if I can have some music suggestions for my next video!
Kingkevin30

XPJ38 wrote:

:( :( I lived a lie, ohh wow... the right pronounciation sounds so horrible in my ears..all the years i was wrong.

*crawls in his hole*
Qplayer

XPJ38 wrote:

*flips table*

At least it's not like when I was pronouncing the letters individually (O-S-U like Ohio State University :P)
Guru
can you tell me the skin? i really love that skin xD