forum

[resolved] Windows 8.1 Mouse Cursor Issues [confirmed] [READ FOR FIX]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iTaSou

Please see this wiki article for a fix: osu!wiki: Windows 8.1 cursor stuttering solution

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 and when open osu! I get this problem.

Mouse cursor can't controllable when setting Mouse sensitivity higher than 1.0x

I'm trying to rotate my mouse.

At 1.0x It's normal, but when set to 1.1x. It's look weird.
Then set it higher It'll uncontrollable. :?

Edit: Lower 1.0x have same effect, only 1.0x working fine.

Precision disabled in mouse setting. No external mouse software.

peppy
I can replicate this.
peppy
This looks to be an issue at Microsoft's end. The API to change the mouse cursors location no longer works.

I have reported it here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... bd2ad4a90a
7djames7

peppy wrote:

This looks to be an issue at Microsoft's end. The API to change the mouse cursors location no longer works.

I have reported it here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... bd2ad4a90a
Are you sure it's the API. Just asking because my touchpad still works even though the mouse doesn't when I set the sensitivity to 2.5x.
peppy
Yes. I am sure. Else I wouldn't have said anything.
MillhioreF
Moving to low priority for now, as peppy has done all he can for the moment.
ImmortalObj
Me too on my desktop (not VM)
Windows 8.1 (Latest Update complete and Build 9431)

When fix this problem?
I want to play!!!!
lee83t
i found some answer.
resultly,
they say

"SendInput() works."

is ok?
peppy
Until the final release, I cannot support this. Please use 1.0x or rollback.
TakuMii
Just for the record, I'm using the final retail build (9600), and this is still a problem. Unless Microsoft releases a hotfix post-release, this will still be a problem when Windows 8.1 launches.
Topic Starter
iTaSou

YayMii wrote:

Just for the record, I'm using the final retail build (9600), and this is still a problem. Unless Microsoft releases a hotfix post-release, this will still be a problem when Windows 8.1 launches.
8.1 build 9600 is 'leaked' release and Microsoft doesn't provide any support on this release.

We have to wait for official release to fix this.
TakuMii
9600 is the final RTM build, which was officially released on MSDN to developers and manufacturers, who get it earlier than the public. And peppy just confirmed on his twitter that the RTM build still doesn't have this fixed, so this won't be fixed unless there is a hotfix post-release.
peppy
Depending on my VM settings, I can actually make it work correctly on 9600.winblue_rtm.130821-1623. I found this out after posting on twitter. I am waiting for confirmation of people running in a non-VM environment, as I don't have the resources to test this currently.
TakuMii
I'll give my build number another check when I get home then. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro (Build 9600) in a non-VM environment on my desktop PC and I'm having this issue. I'm pretty sure that 9600.winblue_rtm.130821-1623 is the only build with the 9600 tag though.

Is the setting you changed only relevant to VMs? If not, what did you change?
peppy
I have mouse-specific driver hacks at an OS X level, and parallels has game optimisations settings at a VM level. One combination of these makes the mouse work as expected again.
TakuMii
Alright, my registry's "BuildLab" key reads "9600.winblue_rtm.130821-1623", so it's safe to assume we're on the same build.
As I've said before, I'm running it natively and still having the issue. So I believe that the fix on your end has to do with the VM, and not with the build of Windows 8.1.
Dissentient
Just installed 8.1 release, still not resolved.
tssge
Just installed Windows 8.1 from store, not fixed. Think I'll have to stick 1.0x...
Topic Starter
iTaSou
I'm upgraded 8.0 > 8.1 today

In my case, It's fixed. whether lower or higher than 1.0x. Not fully resolve.

Easily visible in song selection and main menu. But normal behavior in options menu.

Edit: I play with 0.8x and it's playable. (still have little effect.) Even 1.6x make worse to control mouse but when start game it can play. :shock:
Darkimmortal
In a Reddit thread on this subject, someone made the point that any driverless mouse (onboard memory etc.) is less badly affected.

I can play the game with as much accuracy as before with my Xai, however I'm getting a fair bit of input lag - it feels the cursor position only updates 60 times a second. I normally play at 300-500 fps on 120hz with a polling rate of 960hz, so the difference is very noticeable. The performance is identical to 60fps limit on 8.0.

The reddit thread also mentioned that raw mouse input games are unaffected, hopefully this is feasible to implement.
show more