forum

[invalid] #Roleplaying area in chat

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +16
Topic Starter
Magnolia
for a while i have observed many people roleplay but they usually end up just getting !faq roleplay so i was wondering if we could have a place where it is ok for everyone to roleplay as much as they like, but of course there would have to be rules such a sexuallity and stuff goes just for the shear fact that perverts and idiots would ruin it quite quick but li think if maintained properly it could bring alot more fun and joy to our community of Osu! just a thought

-Handheldpillow

EDIT: anybody have any ideas on how we could improve on my idea?
jesse1412
sexuallity and stuff goes
No support.
[Luanny]
No. Just no.
You're already in a pink game and still want to create a "second life" ?
Sorry, but negative support.
ugh.
cheesiest
negative support
take it to PMs or multi rooms or w/e
Topic Starter
Magnolia
i honestky could feel the hate for the subject before i even clicked it to check back in but it was just an idea and on second thought prolly a bad one i didnt consider the negative consequences
TheVileOne
Why not? I'm sure someone would use it.
KinkiN
I'm really sure that if you guys want to add topics for chat, many topics are better than roleplaying, such as #science or #history lol

anyways no support :(
Topic Starter
Magnolia
how many people do u see talkiing about science and history in chat compared to people using /me? @otonashi yuzuru
DakeDekaane
From experience, even having a dedicated channel for RP would end up being a mess, more likely to happen in a big community like this.
TheVileOne
Lets add more channels noone will use. Creativity is more commonplace and universal to osu! A #roleplaying channel would fit better in my opinion.

(I don't like roleplaying in public though. So you would probably not see me in it.)
KinkiN
pls i was joking with that topic. don't take it seriously

but I'm not joking that there are other topics that are more appropriate to be added, such as #otaku etc. imo

honestly, i haven't seen people typing /me laughing like Cecilia Alcott or anything like that :P
Topic Starter
Magnolia
you obviously havent spent too much time in #Osu then
KinkiN
well, yes. I'm usually lurking in #indonesian. I do check #osu sometimes, and never see any roleplaying on it :P
Topic Starter
Magnolia
ive seen tonnes of users do it.. ive even seen Blazevoir throw down some /me before in there altho it usually is at diffrent times of the day
Cassu2
Well, at least I don't see anything negative in it. So why not?
Aquamarine
Support!
KinkiN
honestly, i don't care whom doing RP, and didn't said that it's bad. It's just adding channel is not as easy as creating a multiplayer room, irrc you need an irc server in order to make a chat server, cmiiw.

And if it's like that, it's better if we use that irc into somthing more universal, like #otaku. you can do roleplaying at #otaku channel too, since RP is considered as an activity for someone who likes anime or manga etc.

fyi, we need 2 years (maybe longer, idk) to make #indonesian become a channel, and b4 #indonesian was added, we do chatting in #malay channel. It shows how hard if we want to add a channel, considering that Indonesia are one of top 15 in the world in terms of amount of players.

it's not like I'm preventing you from making this request, fyi
Shohei Ohtani
Looking at it from a personal opinion standpoint, hell no.

Looking at it from a usefulness standpoint, hell no. Here's why.

In a roleplay, it usually requires the establishment of a bunch of things in the beginning (IE. Characters, sometimes plot (or at least the starting off), who's who, etc). If you do it in a channel, then every time someone comes in, you have to be like "Ok here's literally everything here's who's who and like here's yeah"

Plus if someone leaves it's really awkward because if the plot is around them at the point in the RP, you're pretty much killing an entire channel until they come back.

Plus, making it public allows people to just come in and be like "AND THEN A MONKEY CAME OUT AND LE POPED ON EVRI1 XDDDDDDDD"

In addition, when there are roleplay channels in other IRCs, there's generally one show/thing that the IRC is based upon. For instance, I was in an pony IRC and there was a pony RP channel. Because everyone there would agree that it would be about ponies. In a game like osu!, you'd go in and people would be like "I WANNA DO HETALIA XD" and someone else is like "I WANNA DO PONIES" and like there's no established guideline of what world the RP would be in. Multiple RPs don't work in there either, lol.

@Otonashi: That would get so intrusive, though. I do agree that a channel for anime/manga discussion would be nice, but people would wanna talk about a new episode of a show they like and people would be like "RUSSIA AND POLAND TOOK OFF EACH OTHER'S PANTS XDDDDDDD"

As an additional note, I've noticed often that separate channels to discuss individual topics have never really worked out as well as imagined. Look at how often there's large video game discussion in #videogames (The last I remember is when Mario Kart 7 was big, and E3 (Last year. My net died for this year's so I'm not sure)
JAKACHAN
Support just cause I can. =w=
[Luanny]

CDFA wrote:

SPOILER
Looking at it from a personal opinion standpoint, hell no.

Looking at it from a usefulness standpoint, hell no. Here's why.

In a roleplay, it usually requires the establishment of a bunch of things in the beginning (IE. Characters, sometimes plot (or at least the starting off), who's who, etc). If you do it in a channel, then every time someone comes in, you have to be like "Ok here's literally everything here's who's who and like here's yeah"

Plus if someone leaves it's really awkward because if the plot is around them at the point in the RP, you're pretty much killing an entire channel until they come back.

Plus, making it public allows people to just come in and be like "AND THEN A MONKEY CAME OUT AND LE POPED ON EVRI1 XDDDDDDDD"

In addition, when there are roleplay channels in other IRCs, there's generally one show/thing that the IRC is based upon. For instance, I was in an pony IRC and there was a pony RP channel. Because everyone there would agree that it would be about ponies. In a game like osu!, you'd go in and people would be like "I WANNA DO HETALIA XD" and someone else is like "I WANNA DO PONIES" and like there's no established guideline of what world the RP would be in. Multiple RPs don't work in there either, lol.

@Otonashi: That would get so intrusive, though. I do agree that a channel for anime/manga discussion would be nice, but people would wanna talk about a new episode of a show they like and people would be like "RUSSIA AND POLAND TOOK OFF EACH OTHER'S PANTS XDDDDDDD"

As an additional note, I've noticed often that separate channels to discuss individual topics have never really worked out as well as imagined. Look at how often there's large video game discussion in #videogames (The last I remember is when Mario Kart 7 was big, and E3 (Last year. My net died for this year's so I'm not sure)
Totally agree
Like wtf that would be just spammy and nonsense lol
Remember this is a rhythm game. I don't think there's a place here for this stuff.
If you want to roleplay, omegle is a good place for this or maybe find specific forums.
There's also skype etc etc.
Topic Starter
Magnolia
just a heads up dont try to pin it on me like i need to "go to omegle" i dont roleplay i just put this post up because i see tonnes of people doing it .. and i think they shoul have a place to do it
TheVileOne
Eh there would be conflicts among people wanting to roleplay different things. CDFA has a point about that. In other RP settings, there are multiple different chat areas to RP. There would only be one area for osu!RP.

I have a potential solution for that issue and other issues that are presented.

The same channel could be used for multiple RPs if the RPs were divided into groups on that channel. A user could enter a group via a command, and only members of that group can view messages. If someone would like to start a new RP, they could just create a temporary session and create a scenario via command. A member that is not part of any RP could show up in all chats by default, and members in a RP group can submit a message to the main chat by using a special OoC identifier such as !! or//

!rplist - Show all active RP sessions
!rplist -f -Show RP sessions with friends
!rpjoin <rpname> -Join RP session
!rpscenario -set -Set a message that defines information about the RP
!rpscenario -view -View current scenario (Will not be viewable to all by default)
!rpscenario -view -all -Display scanario in chat for all members of that rp group to see.

Only the RP host will be able to modify the scenario and set rp restrictiosn if any. Passing host can be done through command as well.

It's certainly a complicated idea, but it's possible. This idea will be easier to implement when clans/groups is added to the game if such an idea doesn't render this idea obsolete.
Topic Starter
Magnolia
i like your thinking
Shohei Ohtani

TheVileOne wrote:

Eh there would be conflicts among people wanting to roleplay different things. CDFA has a point about that. In other RP settings, there are multiple different chat areas to RP. There would only be one area for osu!RP.

I have a potential solution for that issue and other issues that are presented.

The same channel could be used for multiple RPs if the RPs were divided into groups on that channel. A user could enter a group via a command, and only members of that group can view messages. If someone would like to start a new RP, they could just create a temporary session and create a scenario via command. A member that is not part of any RP could show up in all chats by default, and members in a RP group can submit a message to the main chat by using a special OoC identifier such as !! or//

!rplist - Show all active RP sessions
!rplist -f -Show RP sessions with friends
!rpjoin <rpname> -Join RP session
!rpscenario -set -Set a message that defines information about the RP
!rpscenario -view -View current scenario (Will not be viewable to all by default)
!rpscenario -view -all -Display scanario in chat for all members of that rp group to see.

Only the RP host will be able to modify the scenario and set rp restrictiosn if any. Passing host can be done through command as well.

It's certainly a complicated idea, but it's possible. This idea will be easier to implement when clans/groups is added to the game if such an idea doesn't render this idea obsolete.
It looks nice but it seems WAAAY too complex for something that doesn't really have a huge demand ouo.
Oinari-sama
^I think the best chance for all this to happen is to support those "private chat channel" requests instead...
Tear
Every irc network ever lets anyone create any channel. Bancho is an outcast here. I can see no advantages in restricting this.
Kaeru
If we can have something like what TheVileOne suggested implemented, I would really like to see a roleplay channel. However, I think it would be too messy and unorganized without it.

Another solution, like what Otonashi Yuzuru suggested, is a more general channel (otaku). The channel could be used for discussion but users could also advertise roleplays in private rooms in this channel, much like you'd advertise a game in the lobby. You'd let people know what characters are available and the setting. Of course, the private chat channel would still be the ultimate solution.

Also, we have a roll function in the game. Has anyone ever thought of hosting a game of Dungeons and Dragons or something similar utilizing this?
Kitsunemimi

[Luanny] wrote:

Totally agree
Like wtf that would be just spammy and nonsense lol
Remember this is a rhythm game. I don't think there's a place here for this stuff.
If you want to roleplay, omegle is a good place for this or maybe find specific forums.
There's also skype etc etc.
This exactly.
Like, I know lots of people in #osu like to rp a lot (myself included), but making a dedicated channel for it would just promote people to take it that much further over the edge. Light roleplaying is fine in any channel imo, but it's rare that you see people completely taking on a different character. osu!irc was made for general conversations, and having an extra channel just for roleplaying will completely destroy that idea. The best thing to do right now in my opinion, is to just keep reminding people more frequently to keep the rping light, and people will eventually get the message (hopefully). Also, this is #osu we're talking about, so even if you try your hardest to take the rping out of it, then one, it'll still be retarded as hell and two, people will still be roleplaying;except instead of !faqs for stopping the rping, it'll just be !faqs for the roleplaying channel. And we all know how annoying redirect !faqs are.

...Dammit, I hadn't expected this to be such a long wall of text.
Stefan
Or use the Off-Topic forum?
Tear
If forums were a good substitute for irc, my postcount would have 4 digits right now.
[Luanny]

Tear wrote:

If forums were a good substitute for irc, my postcount would have 4 digits right now.
excuse me, uh

(anyways posts on offtopic aren't counted)
MMzz
As long as it stays Safe for Work, I wouldn't see the problem.
silmarilen

[Luanny] wrote:

Tear wrote:

excuse me, uh

(anyways posts on offtopic aren't counted)
if they were my postcount would have 5 digits right now huehuehuehue

i personally think an RP channel would be a fun idea, it doesnt even have to be like serious RP or anything, just people having fun with the /me command, at least it would keep most of it out of #osu
dkun
CDFA summed up my thoughts here.

We click circles, not roleplaying that we're Cookiezi and wanting to be the best at clicking circles. (I hope you get what I mean by this)
Zeraph

dkun wrote:

CDFA summed up my thoughts here.

We click circles, not roleplaying that we're Cookiezi and wanting to be the best at clicking circles. (I hope you get what I mean by this)
Pretty much.
Negative support. CDFA makes very good points about how this would just be a bad idea.

/thread.
show more