Do you hover or drag?

Drag
41.84%
Hover
58.16%
Total votes: 2701
Topic Starter
Will3x
Looks like everyone I know are used to hovering, while I have always been dragging my tablet pen.
How about u guys?

EDIT: this got bumped, ok. So I switched to hovering long time ago and I preferr it like this
[ Zan ]
Sorry for the silly question, but whats the difference? :?
Knarf
Pen does not touch tablet when hovering, but touch in dragging.
:? So many people are hovering. I had better switched from dragging to hovering.
Luna
I tap, so neither really
Topic Starter
Will3x
well I say, stick with what your used to. I dont think one is better than the other (other than the lifespan of your tablet/pen when dragging)
buny
actually dragging allows you to snap easier, whereas hover allows you to have more freedom in movement

i hover most of the time, but drag when needed (the way i hold pen, the hover distance is not that far and so occasionally i'd tap the tablet by mistake)
Xivaxi
I have a question to those who drag:

How do you keep your pen nibs from being eaten away within the span of a few days?

I have much better cursor control and snapping while dragging, but my pen is visibly being eaten away after only 2-3 maps...so I force myself to hover. Is there some trick to longer pen life? Or am I destined to learn to hover...
Topic Starter
Will3x

the nip of this pen is almost all gone after 5-6 months of playing for me.. I guess i'll just have to buy a new one soon...
Oinari-sama
I tap too... can we have a 3rd option "Tapping" plz?
Knarf

Will3x wrote:

the nip of this pen is almost all gone after 5-6 months of playing for me.. I guess i'll just have to buy a new one soon...
When I bought the tablet it contained several refills for the going off of nip of the pen, so I am not afraid of this. What I fear the most is the scratched tablet that it might fail to detect stimulus one day?
smoogipoo

kookookook wrote:

Will3x wrote:

When I bought the tablet it contained several refills for the going off of nip of the pen, so I am not afraid of this. What I fear the most is the scratched tablet that it might fail to detect stimulus one day?
The tablet doesn't 'detect stimulus' itself. When the pen is touched to the surface, the nip moves slightly inside the tip of the pen and forms a contact then the pen sends a message that the pen was touched to the tablet. The only thing the tablet does is receive the information and provide wireless power to the pen.
Naikaze
Not only dragging damages your tablet, it makes your movement slower.
a newbie
I cant really vote since i tend to do both, hover for fast jumps and drag for smaller patterns and stuff.

also i dont use a nib on my pen and it works fine.(the pen tip is actually misshapen and warped from dragging so much)
djjsixpack
Hovering, because if I hit the tablet with my pen it will freeze sometimes. I've failed many songs because I accidentally hit it :s
koromo

Xivaxi wrote:

I have a question to those who drag:

How do you keep your pen nibs from being eaten away within the span of a few days?

I have much better cursor control and snapping while dragging, but my pen is visibly being eaten away after only 2-3 maps...so I force myself to hover. Is there some trick to longer pen life? Or am I destined to learn to hover...
You're probably applying way too much pressure. I only have to change my pen nibs every few months, and even then they aren't that worn out, I could probably reuse all of them with no issue. Try to relax your hand a bit more and apply less pressure. I used to change my nib more often back when I got my tablet and used a smaller area, because I had to tense my hand more which made me press harder onto the tablet as well.

You could also buy lots of spare nibs, that would probably solve your problem as well, but I've never had to (still using the spare nibs that came with my tablet, one year after).
puncia

Luna wrote:

I tap, so neither really
Wishy
I'd recommend you to hover.
buny

Puncia wrote:

Luna wrote:

I tap, so neither really
dragging present participle of drag (Verb)
Verb

Pull (someone or something) along forcefully, roughly, or with difficulty.
puncia
there's a difference between tapping and dragging you know
Luna
Tapping = not disabling mouse buttons, and using pen contact with tablet as the primary means of input.
As in, I play maps without streams with tablet only (And use only one keyboard key in addition to tapping for streams).
Basically a combination of hovering (for general movement) and dragging (for sliders, spinners etc)
buny
edit: luna described already

anyways, the option you choose is HOVER because most of your movement is going to be hovering over the tablet.
Topic Starter
Will3x
Can't edit the poll. sorry :p
walao
I've been dragging for like ever, but I can't get used to hovering. What happens is I lift the pen up to high sometimes and it screws up everything. That and my hand shakes sooooo badly
Remyria
i'm hovering since when i got my tab and i think it's better for the pen ^^
d777b
I drag, and to avoid excessive tablet/ nib wear, I taped a piece of clear plastic (an overhead sheet) around my tablet tightly. I havent had to replace a tip yet, but I suppose it will wear out eventually... Just not anytime soon.
puncia

d777b wrote:

I drag, and to avoid excessive tablet/ nib wear, I taped a piece of clear plastic (an overhead sheet) around my tablet tightly. I havent had to replace a tip yet, but I suppose it will wear out eventually... Just not anytime soon.
I did that too, and it's actually working.
johandrossi
I hover, but I keep the pen close to the tab so occasionally it touches the tab. With mouse disabled ofcourse
B00l3t
I hover. Course my hand was shaking my first time trying the "hover" method, but after 4 hours I got used to it.
synchroblst
I tap on my screen, but I have a screen protector on so I'm not too worried about getting it scratched (there are slightly noticable scratchmarks from spinners though... ). The pen nib is slightly worn after ~4 months of play, but its still usable for everything i can throw at it. I tap as much as I can, except the occasional map with heavy deathstreams.
Koko Ban
i usually hover, but i drag during spinners.

i used to hover spinners too, but sometimes the pen goes out of tablet's range and break my spinning.
Dumie
i hover but my hand rests on the tablet, which causes a lot of trouble since it limits my movement=w=;;;
so i always wear a jacket so i can glide my hand as much as i want on the tablet.......bad thing is that I get so hot when i play during summer...
Topic Starter
Will3x

dumieAri wrote:

i hover but my hand rests on the tablet, which causes a lot of trouble since it limits my movement=w=;;;
so i always wear a jacket so i can glide my hand as much as i want on the tablet.......bad thing is that I get so hot when i play during summer...
maybe adjust the active area so you can keep your wrist in one place?
Oinari-sama

dumieAri wrote:

lol you don't need to wear the jacket...

I put my wrist bone on the table and I slip in a piece of soft towel under. I fold the towel at least twice so that there're 4 layers. This allows me to glide short distance without much friction, cause the towel layers are rubbing against each others when I move instead of my wrist taking the full impact.
Dumie
maybe adjust the active area so you can keep your wrist in one place?[/quote]

i tried, but i prefer a bigger active area, feels more natural o3o;
Dumie

Oinari-sama wrote:

dumieAri wrote:

lol you don't need to wear the jacket...

I put my wrist bone on the table and I slip in a piece of soft towel under. I fold the towel at least twice so that there're 4 layers. This allows me to glide short distance without much friction, cause the towel layers are rubbing against each others when I move instead of my wrist taking the full impact.
ahah, maybe i should try that. I did it with tissue once but it didn't go well lol. =w=;;
puncia

I use something like this, you should try it.
Dumie

Puncia wrote:

I use something like this, you should try it.
why haven't i thought of that =O
orz
ovithegod193
guys i just tried hovering and i found it very fiteeging compared to drags
enap
I drag but might start hovering or at least try, dont really wanna completely ruin my pen within just weeks of having it.

However dragging feels better imo, you get the "feedback" when touching the tablet, feels more natural to me.
NoAccFound
Hello everyone, I just recently made the switch over from keyboard and mouse to keyboard and tablet and I have a few questions, if you guys can help me.

!. How can I disable the feature of clicking on the tablet, so I can just drag my pen on tablet itself ?
2. Do you normally use the default mapping surface area or do you reduce it to your liking, because it feels like I'm moving around too much.
3. Since hovering seems to be the general way of playing ( looking at the results) , how can you feel when your pen comes up to much, without looking down ? Can you just naturally feel it or you hold your pen in a certain way to help alert you when you're coming up too high?
show more