forum

Trying to start Hovering instead of Dragging?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cokezi-
Have a CTL-470 and I'm trying to switch to hovering the pen after 4+ months of dragging it. When I try to hover I often lose my cursor a lot is there anyway to fix that?

Also are there any notably good players that hover? It seems like every good player drags.

Thanks! <3
Kyonko Hizara
Try turning up the sensitivity on your tablet through it's settings. I think that may work so you can hover. On my tablet, I can keep my pen about 1cm above and it still detects movement.
Hika
I don't know any 'good' players that drag. Every tablet player should hover unless they're spinning, it could go either way. And you have to keep it as low as possible if you want it to stay so practice doing that for a while.
Topic Starter
Cokezi-

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Try turning up the sensitivity on your tablet through it's settings. I think that may work so you can hover. On my tablet, I can keep my pen about 1cm above and it still detects movement.
Where are those settings at? I don't see them where I change my area and stuff.

Hika wrote:

I don't know any 'good' players that drag. Every tablet player should hover unless they're spinning, it could go either way. And you have to keep it as low as possible if you want it to stay so practice doing that for a while.
I thought you spun faster if you were hovering? o.o Also doesn't Cookiezi drag?
Liiraye

Obliterati0n69 wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Hika wrote:

I don't know any 'good' players that drag. Ev :( ery tablet player should hover unless they're spinning, it could go either way. And you have to keep it as low as possible if you want it to stay so practice doing that for a while.

uhh, I've never heard of someone below rank 50k who drags his tablet. It's senseless because you drop a crapload of speed as opposed to hovering.
Needless to say he doesn't. :)
Liiraye

Obliterati0n69 wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Hika wrote:

I don't know any 'good' players that drag. Ev :( ery tablet player should hover unless they're spinning, it could go either way. And you have to keep it as low as possible if you want it to stay so practice doing that for a while.

uhh, I've never heard of someone below rank 50k who drags his tablet. It's senseless because you drop a crapload of speed as opposed to hovering.
Needless to say he doesn't. :)
Kyonko Hizara
I'm pretty sure every good tablet player hovers
Kirix_old_1
This might be a little of topic, but how long do your nibs last? Have you had to buy more in that 4 month span?
Liiraye

RawrFish123 wrote:

This might be a little of topic, but how long do your nibs last? Have you had to buy more in that 4 month span?

It's very individual I guess. I've treated it normally and I still have the first one since like 7-8 months now. If you tap a lot or w/e I guess it wears off faster but irunno
Topic Starter
Cokezi-

RawrFish123 wrote:

My tablet came with 5 extra nibs, and I've only had to replace it once.. I guess I'm starting to hover now.
Topic Starter
Cokezi-
BTW, does anyone have any tips on something I can do to stop losing my cursor? I'd say I lose it like 20+ times a song.. playing for a couple hours now and it doesn't seem to be getting better..
Misterkister

Obliterati0n69 wrote:

BTW, does anyone have any tips on something I can do to stop losing my cursor? I'd say I lose it like 20+ times a song.. playing for a couple hours now and it doesn't seem to be getting better..
Are you talking about when the cursor seems to stop moving while you hover during the game?
TakuMii

RawrFish123 wrote:

I bought my tablet in March, and I've only had to replace my nib once, just because I thought it'd be fun to try playing the game tablet-only. I've only played tablet-only a couple of times; I usually hover when I play tablet+keyboard.

@OP: None of the top players drag. And you just need to get used to the hover distance of your tablet. Although it's only about 5mm, it should be plenty of space. And don't be afraid to touch the surface while getting used to hovering, as it's a lot better than hovering too high and losing cursor control.
Lust

Obliterati0n69 wrote:

Keep your pen tip as close to the tablet as possible. It is really hard in the beginning and after awhile you just get used to it. Also try holding your pen near the base just above your tip and below the button. You might need to adopt a new way of holding your pen if you can't keep it down. (huehuehue)
Topic Starter
Cokezi-

Misterkister wrote:

Obliterati0n69 wrote:

Are you talking about when the cursor seems to stop moving while you hover during the game?
yes
Topic Starter
Cokezi-
Is there anything I can do settings wise to fix me losing my cursor, or just practice?
TakuMii

Obliterati0n69 wrote:

Is there anything I can do settings wise to fix me losing my cursor, or just practice?
Just practice. Don't forget that accidentally tapping is better than accidentally losing your cursor.
Kanye West
don't listen to the majority of the people in this thread

if you play best when you drag, then continue playing that way

be aware that there are disadvantages to it though, namely the tablet surface and nib wear out faster

and there are several good tablet players who drag and/or tap
chaee
I had this problem a lot when I first started hovering >.<.
Open up pen tablet properties and instead of pen mode, click on mouse mode and change the mouse speed to the lowest option. Then, change the mouse sensitivity in osu to your liking :)
If you're not comfortable hovering, then just switch to dragging.
Dragging is senseless because you lose a crap load of speed opposed to hovering, though v.v..
Bweh
Play whichever way feels the most comfortable. You don't need to force yourself to hover, but at least try it out first.

Liiraye wrote:

I tap and drag in some cases

Dragging is pretty nice since it prevents you from moving too quickly through streams, overshooting patterns, and/or losing control when playing with really small circles. However, it's very difficult to cover large spacing and insanely fast maps while dragging. At that point I'd recommend you hover or at least tap.

I switch between them accordingly, btw.
MMzz
Moved thread to an appropriate subforum.
astelios
im a noob
said that, my experience:
mouse
mouse + keyboard
tablet hover + mouse mode + hand movin around
tablet hover + pen mode (with the smaller area) + hand not movin (idk the right word for not movin ><) = win ><
puncia
Looking at his liveplays I think that Cookiezi drags, but I'm not sure.

Also what Kanye West said, feel free to play the way you play better.
koromo

Hika wrote:

I don't know any 'good' players that drag. Every tablet player should hover unless they're spinning
There are several great players who drag (Remilia-Scarlet is a great example). I think Mythol drags as well (or used to), but not entirely sure.

Liiraye wrote:

Hi.

Honestly I'll never understand why people keep pushing on hovering being the absolute and only way to be decent at tablet. This is the best and only advice you should pay attention to itt:

Kanye West wrote:

don't listen to the majority of the people in this thread

if you play best when you drag, then continue playing that way
Just go with whatever works for you. If hovering is what you feel comfortable with, then stick with it, same with dragging.
winber1
hi romoko yes
show more