forum

Osu! and Copyright

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
benguin
I don't mean to harp on osu! or anything, I love the game. I'm just curious how all of this is supposedly legal. How does osu! not get in trouble with copyright issues assuming that osu! doesn't have the permission from every single song artist who has their song mapped in the game? I would think the whole "fair use" clause would be a bit too much of a stretch in terms of legal defense, especially considering that osu! does make money off of supporter tags. Can anyone enlighten me?
DaddyCoolVipper
Whenever a company asks him to, peppy removes maps from the listing, simply enough.

It's pretty shocking that he can make profit from supporters, but there you go
Ephemeral
peppy doesn't "profit" from osu! at all. the supporter costs barely cover the leviathan network of servers and the costs involved in maintaining them. supporter tags are classed foremost as a donation - no money is being made of other people's work whatsoever. game client features and other bonuses are granted from supporter status and little else.
DaddyCoolVipper

Ephemeral wrote:

peppy doesn't "profit" from osu! at all. the supporter costs barely cover the leviathan network of servers and the costs involved in maintaining them. supporter tags are classed foremost as a donation - no money is being made of other people's work whatsoever. game client features and other bonuses are granted from supporter status and little else.
Well, peppy said that osu! isn't a non-profit organisation. You're at least suggesting that there's surplus from supporter donations (since it *barely* covers, but does indeed cover, the costs). Whether peppy's using that for osu!stream, osu!, other projects or on himself isn't public knowledge, though.