forum

Maps that I have no chance of beating.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Iggy
I've recently come across a few maps that I just love to play even though I have no chance to beat right now.

A few examples:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/41686 <-- Can do from 5 to 15 seconds without NoFail mod
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/47710 <-- I can get a small combo early but I still fail before 1/4 mark
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29691 <-- I can almost beat the intro.

Is it "okay" for me to keep playing these maps even though I don't even come close to beating them. Are there any downsides that might cripple my progress of getting better by playing these or can I keep playing them?

I completely suck at the songs but either the song or the mapping style keep drawing me back to playing them.

EDIT:
Thanks for all the replies,
a lot of the time you keep mentioning that I might get bad habits of half-assing the awkward parts.
I checked the mapping techniques for things that annoy me the most, I'm asking if you guys could give some good maps that I could practice these.

Here are the ones I have trouble with:
Tornado Combos t/48512
Star formations (mostly the dense ones because I'm relatively good at jumps) t/48801

One thing there is though that I don't understand. What do you mean by "half-assing" something. I "half-ass" something if I don't know how to do that certain part, but when I can do it I start doing it correctly.
Also, What kind of bad habits can I get? No one has yet to tell exactly what bad habits there are, yet everyone keeps talking about them...

Make sure that you don't get bad habits is like saying don't die in another video game.
-GN
Sure sounds like you enjoy, at least the tougher maps this guy has created. I'd try to find other interesting maps by him if you enjoy them that much!

As far as playing them goes, you're not really gonna get much better at the game in general if these songs are all you play, you'll only get better at these very specific maps. The time spent playing these maps could be spent improving your skill more effectively, but that's probably it.
Topic Starter
Iggy

-GN wrote:

As far as playing them goes, you're not really gonna get much better at the game in general if these songs are all you play, you'll only get better at these very specific maps. The time spent playing these maps could be spent improving your skill more effectively, but that's probably it.
I play a lot of other maps too but these are particularly interesting for me because I enjoy playing them even though I'm nowhere near in terms of skill to beat them.

I just hope that I'm not crippling myself by playing them.
d777b
you wont be crippling yourself, but to improve the fastest play songs that a) you enjoy, and b) are challenging to you.

I love Val0108 maps, and grumd, and RLC. There were and are tons of those that I first played through when they came out and went
"PFFFFTTTT. this is not possible for me to ever beat....... but its an awesome map" and one of the most rewarding things about this game to me is to be able to go back to the songs i had set aside as "impossible but awesome" and beat them, sometimes easily.

So, in short, have fun, and do what you want! :)
Icyteru
Yes, you will improve but the only problem is you won't feel like you're improving for a long time. However, once you get back into playing your normal maps, you'll realise how much easier they are
Pettanko
As long as you don't spend all your time playing insanely hard maps, you should be fine. Those kinds of maps are subjectively more fun than the cookie-cutter tv size anime maps, and they can be used as a progress bar on how much you've improved recently.

However, don't just play those kinds of maps 24/7 because you will develop bad habits which will be difficult to get rid of in the future.
Topic Starter
Iggy

Pettanko wrote:

However, don't just play those kinds of maps 24/7 because you will develop bad habits which will be difficult to get rid of in the future.
Yeah I don't play them all the time, I still like PASSING songs, lol.
But like you said, I'm probably just going to keep them as a "progress bar" of some sort.

EDIT.
Val0108 has some pretty kewl maps, I downloaded a few more of them today.
VoidnOwO
:)
XGeneral2000
If you enjoy playing them, by all means, keep playing them. There's no point restricting yourself from having fun just because it's weird progression. osu! is a game, after all. I play stuff like Scarlet Rose and Muteki no Soldier all the time even though I suck at them.

Just know that if you only play maps that are way above you, it may form some bad habits later. I find that speed and reading ability comes from playing maps you can't perform well on, but accuracy and consistency comes from playing maps that are just a little outside your comfort zone. And of course, I'd recommend playing straightforward stuff every once in a while just to make sure you still can.
Topic Starter
Iggy

BRBP wrote:

No, you won't cripple yourself by playing them, it just doesn't improve your overall skill if you have no clue what you're doing.
I don't randomly mash the buttons, if that's what you meant :D
I sometimes use HalfTime mod to figure out the patterns and then try to do it normally.

But like I said, I play other maps a lot too.
AmaiHachimitsu
Is it "okay" for me to keep playing these maps even though I don't even come close to beating them. Are there any downsides that might cripple my progress of getting better by playing these or can I keep playing them?
This is the way I chose and I recommend you not to follow my steps.

Becoming pro is to overcome your limits. Just play maps which might be barely passable (due to speed!) for you and then switch to those easier you always wanted to FC. Playing maps you can't even follow with your eyes is a waste of time.

If you enjoy grinding them playing for 5 seconds, imagine how awesome it would be to pass/FC them. The time spent on actual practice will pay off eventually.
Topic Starter
Iggy

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Just play maps which might be barely passable (due to speed!) for you and then switch to those easier you always wanted to FC. Playing maps you can't even follow with your eyes is a waste of time..
I can easily follow them with my eyes, only my fingers fall behind.

The point of this post was mostly just if I should completely stay away from them until I can almost beat them.
I'm just sad that so good songs don't have easier difficulties so that I could beat them.
Lach

Pettanko wrote:

This really cannot be stressed enough. Playing maps with NF, or indeed maps that are simply too hard for you to fc breeds the mentality that it's okay to miss. I know that when I miss now, I just shrug it off and don't really care. But really, I should be trying not to miss.

Difficult, if not, impossible to get rid of in the future.
winber1
Sometimes when you are just trying to beat a map, you end up half assing certain patterns that you can't really do, like squares or awkward shapes that are hard to snap to. Learning to actually play squares for example, instead of using some circular movement will end up, helping you play other patterns. I believe this was one huge thing I didn't try enough and thus I am left with myself getting annoyed at very specific shapes that I can't just easily and perfectly play. I sometimes have to use awkward movements to play the patterns and it sometimes makes me miss randomly.

As previously stated, don't try to play the map to beat it and care about nothing else. Always try to play the map with the best possible accuracy as you can and don't try to half-ass your way out. But that's of course if you seriously don't want to develop weird habits and if you want to improve. Otherwise, you can just do whatever you want if you just want to have fun.
Topic Starter
Iggy

winber1 wrote:

Always try to play the map with the best possible accuracy as you can and don't try to half-ass your way out
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of passing a song to get as good accuracy as you can?
So I should play songs with high drain-rate that I can barely pass? At least in those maps I can't beat it without doing it properly.

EDIT:
I'm not really a person who likes to farm ranking by grinding songs, there's no fun in that. I sometimes do those S or silver S ranks if I can get them without too many retries, but that's about it.
winber1
sometimes you begin to press notes really early or late, and you don't even pay attention. when you see 100's, you don't really care that much. What I'm getting at is that seeing those 100's should have some impact on you, and that you should also concentrate on accuracy as well.