forum

Level up features? (and other thrown-in ideas)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +44
Topic Starter
Shinxyn
Player level is just for show right now... why not have features get locked and unlocked during level up?
What shouldn't be locked would be taiko and ctb though, since those also contribe to level, and the Difficulty Reduction and Special mods.

Examples-
By the first 10 or so levels, the multipliers (hr,dt,fl,hd) should be locked and only allowed after players get some experience
By level ~20 People can open their own multiplayer rooms?
By level ~30 Editor should be allow (I don't like seeing completely random submitted maps by players who just started...)
By level ~40 We should be allowed to choose a "favourite mapper" (only one, but it can be changed) and display it on mapper ranking~ (I said only one, but maybe more when level is higher?)
By level ~50 Option to show off 1st place boards on Profile achievements?
By level ~70 Allow us to place "afk" messages please~ or have message appear when mouse hovers over user name.(even if this level up thing fails, I want this feature)
By level ~90 .....favourite BAT vote? or not...
By level 100 or something, maybe a choice to "rebirth" (start from lvl 0) or maybe a fancy frame choices for status bar?
...etc
Even without this "level up feature", I want some of those ^

And maybe as each player levels up, they should get some kind of point (osu point or "orz" or something... I'm no good with names) that they can save up and spend on some bonus features.

Just randomly naming some "bonus features" I hope will show up on osu!-
-Megaphone- allow players to !message once per phone~
-Eraser- use about 1 level up point to eraser a old score? use ~10+ to clear one map off grave? ~30+ to vote and give reasons why a ranked map should be unranked?
-Frames- purchase frames for your osu! status?
Yea... just throwing in random ideas...
And Osu!Direct users should of course have more features than normal players.

Course that's asking for a lot, and probably very annoying to manage for those who play Offline.... :o
/me goes back to hiding now
Gabi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
adam2046
Peppy has said that all features gameplay and editor wise will be available to all users at all times, the reason why subscribers get osu!direct is because it does not affect osu in anyway other than how easy it is to get maps (which is only slightly more conveniant)

It would be nice however for levels to maybe do something cosmetic.
Topic Starter
Shinxyn
Yea... well... basicially I want level up for something thats not just for show.... (I mean, recently level 100 is now enabled, but what for?)
adam2046
Pretty much for the sake of being level 100...
Topic Starter
Shinxyn

adam2046 wrote:

Pretty much for the sake of being level 100...
-sigh-.... -_-;
anonymous_old
If you ask me, the whole level thing should be abolished.
adam2046
Well can you give a good reason to not have it?
anonymous_old

adam2046 wrote:

Well can you give a good reason to not have it?
Less coding.
Less wasted space on your profile.
Less wasted space on your mini-profile in-game.
Less bugs involving level 100 crashing people.
adam2046
Is it still crashing people?
I thought that had been fixed...
anonymous_old

adam2046 wrote:

Is it still crashing people?
I thought that had been fixed...
It has. However, that's more coding. (See first point.)
Derekku
But the coding has already been done, so what's the point of getting rid of it? >_>
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

But the coding has already been done, so what's the point of getting rid of it? >_>
More code is worse than no code, because more code can have bugs but no code can't. (I don't mean to say no code can't have bugs. Grr English.)
rust45
anonymous_old

rust45 wrote:

While I agree that more code will make it more likely for there to be a bug, I can't agree with getting rid of levels, they show just how much somebody plays, and how well, seeing as though it will take longer to level up if you suck.
Levels are based off your total score. Levels just put the linear scale into a logarithmic one (I would guess).
Topic Starter
Shinxyn
So then either have level up mean SOMETHING thats not just numbers for show... or vote to just get rid of it, no?
I remember the days before the level even appeared ._.
LuigiHann
I like levels. It'd be nice if there were something, maybe a couple achievements for reaching high levels.
Echo

strager wrote:

Levels just put the linear scale into a logarithmic one (I would guess).
afaik it's polynomial, on the order Θ(x^3), where x is your score ;)
Derekku

LuigiHann wrote:

I like levels. It'd be nice if there were something, maybe a couple achievements for reaching high levels.
Something like this is what I think would be nice. Or custom usernames or something :\
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Something like this is what I think would be nice. Or custom usernames or something :\
Colours in chat?
LuigiHann

strager wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Colours in chat?
There are more than enough of those already :o
Derekku

strager wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Colours in chat?
inb4rainbowofcolors
anonymous_old
inb4inb---

Damn.

LuigiHann wrote:

strager wrote:

Colours in chat?
There are more than enough of those already :o
I mean like various shads. Currently normal users are orange or something right? Have lower-level people have more gray names (like IRC folk) and higher-level people have more orangey names (like now).

I don't mean to say "level 0-20 are green, level 21-40 are blue..." That'd be dumb. (inb4that'swhatIwasthinking. Damn, I'm acting more and more like Derekku. =[)
Derekku
BAT/Global Mod = Red
Person on osu = Orange
Subscriber = Yellow
Highlight = Green
Blue = Direct Message
Gray = Yourself/Person on a 3rd-party client like IRC/Possibly admin? (that's what I always see peppy as, unless he's on irc)
Starrodkirby86
peppy is Red on client...Or else blue, if I'm wrong.

It can be shades of orange or something, but orange is very close to red or yellow. Such a trouble when a bunch of the colors are analogous...
Gens

Derekku Chan wrote:

BAT/Global Mod = Red
Person on osu = Orange
Subscriber = Yellow
Highlight = Green
Blue = Direct Message
Gray = Yourself/Person on a 3rd-party client like IRC/Possibly admin? (that's what I always see peppy as, unless he's on irc)
You forgot White. ;)
And yes, peppy's red on client.

Anyways, I like the idea of shades, and maybe a Level 100 achievement. Would be pretty cool.
peppy
Seriously stay on topic guys.

Abolishing levels is not an option. @strager I think your argument is moot. I like the level system and don't believe it is "wasted" space. Using it for some cosmetic changes would be interesting, or having certain unlocks which do not affect gameplay.

Don't try and force your opinions on others. It is this kinda stuff that makes me want to shut down the feature request forum. I will do it, too.

But seriously, unless you think of something that is actually worth doing then I think your level is a good stat on its own. It represents your total score without you having to remember a 10-digit number.
vytalibus
I see parts of these features that would make osu! less newbie-friendly.

I dunno, I've always wanted osu! to be as newbie-friendly as possible. Having level-unlockable features would mean newbies not having the equal amount of available features as the rest.

By the first 10 or so levels, the multipliers (hr,dt,fl,hd) should be locked and only allowed after players get some experience
This is kind of extreme, and almost unfair. I've seen newbies who would like to try out the mods for themselves, even on their first day.

By level ~20 People can open their own multiplayer rooms?
Again, same as above. Especially nowadays where most newbies seem to be interested in the Multiplayer feature of osu!, forcing them to get some level before they can open up their own multiplayer rooms is kind of intimidating.

By level ~30 Editor should be allow (I don't like seeing completely random submitted maps by players who just started...)
THIS IS ONE FEATURE I DON'T WANT TO SEE.

The first step in creating a map is the same as the first step in playing osu!. No matter how bad the outcome of the beatmap will be, no one should be able to restrict anyone from creating their own maps. Besides, that's why we have modders: they usually help the newbie mapper out.

If you don't want to see, in your own words, "completely random submitted maps by players who just started", then start helping them out instead.

30+ to vote and give reasons why a ranked map should be unranked?
This is being strongly unfair towards mappers. Unless there are technical issues that have been overlooked before being ranked, I don't see why we should be freely able to remove a map's ranked status.

Seriously, I don't see a logical reason why. If there's one, it'll definitely be offensive and, in my own terms, "uncool".

Anyways, I seriously disapprove of this feature. It might seem like a reward system, but in reality it will be slightly biased towards the newbies.
Gabi

vytalibus wrote:

THIS IS ONE FEATURE I DON'T WANT TO SEE.

The first step in creating a map is the same as the first step in playing osu!. No matter how bad the outcome of the beatmap will be, no one should be able to restrict anyone from creating their own maps. Besides, that's why we have modders: they usually help the newbie mapper out.

If you don't want to see, in your own words, "completely random submitted maps by players who just started", then start helping them out instead.
im not gonna lie but this is a super rare sight.... however lets NOT get offtopic

it would be cool if we could put a little comment in the Character box or whatever they are called (those boxes when you open f9) at a certain high lvl. i recon most people would be mature enough about it (again at a very very high lvl :P)
Topic Starter
Shinxyn

Gabi wrote:

it would be cool if we could put a little comment in the Character box or whatever they are called (those boxes when you open f9) at a certain high lvl. i recon most people would be mature enough about it (again at a very very high lvl :P)
^ thats one of the other thrown-in ideas I'm hoping for, and lvl doesn't really count for "maturity"... :P
More like it should just be a bonus feature for getting that "far" >_<
Azure_Kite
I espeially like the idea of custom comments;

Possibly a colour coded border around a player's avatar when in F9 chat, and level specific leaderboard colours (probably not the BEST idea, but hey)

This could possibly apply to player's who have also ever reached a certain rank or better ie top 50.
show more