forum

Transparency?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Avail_old_1
Like, playing transparency. (View the background of your desktop or whatever window is under osu whilst playing)
XPJ38
Oh god no, I would be distracted so much and the playfield would be unreadable.
Topic Starter
Avail_old_1

XPJ38 wrote:

Oh god no, I would be distracted so much and the playfield would be unreadable.
As some optional tick in the options menu? :P
deadbeat
why would you want this in the first place?
RBRat3
When I had linux installed compiz opacity worked for osu! and for the recored you can kiss your readability goodbye.... I dont see this feature seeing the light of day but you can get close.
Topic Starter
Avail_old_1
I ment only as in background totally transparent, hitcircles still at 100% opacity
EDIT:
Kert
This can be pretty interesting actually. Would be very convinient to see what's going on behind everything if you're used to playing fullscreen.
But I don't think it's easy to implement such a feature
chelly
This looks super sweet. Should be a visual settings option after the map has been completed, seeing as it potentially has the same effect as removing the background.

Edit:
What it could look like on my monitor
Flanster
I really don't see the purpose of this.
peppy would probably facepalm if he sees the thread :(
zinckingeye

[Avail] wrote:

I ment only as in background totally transparent, hitcircles still at 100% opacity
EDIT:
What if my desktop background is purely red? awts. my eyes hurts so much....
Winshley
I'd rather play with the provided background image, storyboard, and/or video from the beatmap set instead of using the transparency. The latter is more distracting than the former... =S
boat

zinckingeye wrote:

What if my desktop background is purely red? awts. my eyes hurts so much....
Don't like it? Don't use it.

I'm neither for nor against.
Oinari-sama
Well I can see this work for those who has a clean and tidy desktop.

I just don't know if it's worth the effort though...
uzzi

boat wrote:

I'm neither for nor against.
I'm pretty much in the same...boat here.

I can see its uses, but it just seems iffy at the same time.
Kitsunemimi

Oinari-sama wrote:

Well I can see this work for those who has a clean and tidy desktop.

I just don't know if it's worth the effort though...
A feature like this could be very interesting and pretty, but that's only if it's used properly. (it reminds me of the feature in VLC... right? where you can set playback to your desktop background, which can also be used for moving wallpapers.)

However I'm pretty sure peppy has many more important things to work on, instead of a feature that probably very few users will make proper use of. Not to mention that it'll be relatively difficult to implement, in my opinion. Will it just show the desktop wallpaper as the background? Or will it include anything that's underneath osu!? It'll require snapshots of the windows/wallpaper underneath, there's no way you can have in-window transparency with DirectX/OpenGL applications. While it's still a very interesting thing to think of, it definitely don't think it's worth the effort.
jemhuntr
1. this would slow your pc down, resulting in a worse gameplay. This would only be useful (if it really will be useful) for users with high end pcs
2. this is not possible under exclusive fullscreen. You'd have play on borderless fullscreen or just windowed.
3. there is an autohotkey script for changing the window's opacity. This works similar to RBRat3's suggestion. Get AutoHotkey and use this script (use winkey+mousewheel to adjust any window's opacity):
; changing window transparencies
#WheelUp:: ; Increments transparency up by 3.375% (with wrap-around)
DetectHiddenWindows, on
WinGet, curtrans, Transparent, A
if ! curtrans
curtrans = 255
newtrans := curtrans + 8
if newtrans > 0
{
WinSet, Transparent, %newtrans%, A
}
else
{
WinSet, Transparent, OFF, A
WinSet, Transparent, 255, A
}
return

#WheelDown:: ; Increments transparency down by 3.375% (with wrap-around)
DetectHiddenWindows, on
WinGet, curtrans, Transparent, A
if ! curtrans
curtrans = 255
newtrans := curtrans - 8
if newtrans > 0
{
WinSet, Transparent, %newtrans%, A
}
;else
;{
; WinSet, Transparent, 255, A
; WinSet, Transparent, OFF, A
;}
return

#o:: ; Reset Transparency Settings
WinSet, Transparent, 255, A
WinSet, Transparent, OFF, A
return

#g:: ; Press Win+G to show the current settings of the window under the mouse.
MouseGetPos,,, MouseWin
WinGet, Transparent, Transparent, ahk_id %MouseWin%
ToolTip Translucency:`t%Transparent%`n
Sleep 2000
ToolTip
return

This feature would certainly look good, but it's not worth implementing since only a few people would use it mostly due to their pcs slowing down like hell. And even people with high end pcs wouldn't use it simply because it's distracting. I'm not against this feature, but I definitely don't see this being implemented.