forum

[Canceled] 1# osu! Freestyler Tournament

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Scheiby

Hello and welcome to osu!'s first freestyler tournament! I am proud to be your host and to let the theatrical performances begin! :)

What is this tourney about?
Simply said: It's about Cursor Dancing! Unlike most osu! tourneys, this one is not necessarily about how good of a score you can get. For this tourney, we want YOU to turn osu! plays from algorithmic processes into works of the performing arts. It takes little to no thought to easily hit the notes by moving in a straight line from one note to the next. Instead, we want you to wow us and to have a little creativity in order to make your plays enjoyable to watch as well as pleasing to the eye. Of course, this means the tournament is for players of all skill levels – beginners and pros alike!

Imagine that you are a rockstar. You go up on stage. You're in your PJ's and look like you just got out of bed. You're as stiff as a rock. You sing the song perfectly in the sense that you got the rhythms and pitches correct. You show little to no facial expressions while singing. You're boo'ed off the stage. Why? Because your singing was fine but you didn't make a good performance. Now with that said, are YOU ready to be an osu! rock star?! :D

Important Dates
Sign-ups start: now! ;)
Sign-ups end: 4 weeks! (Date: 19. July 2013)
Last day for an record: 26. July 2013

This thread is only for sign up! For anything else, use our
#1 osu! Freestyler Tournament Discussion Thread
Thank you!

Tourney Structure
It starts with your performance! As we know, a recorded replay data doesn't show the full movement of your cursor. So we need a liveplay to judge your performance fairly and correctly. But you may have a problem with this, because your hardware is not good enough or you just don't know how to do it. That's your problem! But we've found a solution! ;D

To give anyone the chance to participate in this tournament with the same fair options, there will be easy terms for all of you. The way you have to go is this:

1. Decide to enter this tournament and sign up here!
2. Pick a map with your favorite difficulty out of the mappool.
3. Train your dance skill until you think you're ready for competition.
4. PM me (Scheiby) for a schedule and you will get it as far as possible.
5. At this schedule you have 3 tries to show me your best moves. I'll record them!
6. You decide which of these 3 tries will be selected for tournament / judgment.
7. You're finished!
After sign up I'll upload your selected video on my Youtube channel and link it into this thread.

To make it clear: Even if you have the hardware and knowledge to make a liveplay by your own, you have to make a schedule with me. This is for the sake of fairness for all players and for a simple reason: this way all vids have the same kind of skin, resolution and quality. No advantage from having better hardware or more time. All Players have 3 final tries. No more - no less! That's competition!

After 4 weeks when the sign-ups end, there will be 2 kinds of judgment.

Judgements
1. Community judgment
We make a poll where all favorite videos are able to vote.
You decide the "1st osu! Freestyler Tournament [Community]" winner!

2. Jury judgment
There are 3 judges who watch and rate every single video by performance.
I have straight tables to rate point 1 - 3 (Accuracy, Map Difficulty and Creativity) .
The 4th point (Performance) is subjective and will be judged by each jury member on his own.
The player / video with the highest sum of points will be the "1st osu! Freestyler Tournament [Judgment] winner.
If 2 or more players have the same sum of points, there will be a second round.

Tournament Terms
- This tournament is only for osu! standard.
- 1 player - 1 video.
- Self posted videos won't get judged. (Please respect the Tourney Structure!)
- You have to choose a beatmap from the mappool.
- Only these mods are allowed: HR, HD, DT, FL, HT and / or EZ.
- If we suspect you to be cheating, we will find out and may disqualify you.
- We have the right to disqualify you or deduct from your score for misbehavior and/or drama in this thread. Please be polite to one another. Competitive "smack talk" is allowed, as long as it's only in fun; don't let yourself get carried away.

Judgment Scoring
You can attain a maximum of 45 points from these criteria:

Accuracy (max 5 points)
You can imagine how this works. The higher your accuracy is, the more points you get.

Map Difficulty (max 5 points)
At this criteria we have the simple formula to rate "Player vs. Map" as opposed to "Player vs. Player".
So the question is: How hard is the map for that kind of player? I won't give exact rating examples, but you can be sure, a player of rank #50.000 can get the full points, just the same as a pro in the Top#100!

Creativity (max 5 points)
As I said: We want you to wow us! That's not possible with only one move that you show us over and over again. Let the map be your stage and rock it! Surprise us with different moves and combos.

Performance (max 30 points)
There are 3 judges. Each judge will give a score from 0 to 10. The judges are allowed to judge on anything pertaining to how the performance looks visually.
Examples:
-Mods used (do the mods complement or take away from the performance?)
-Difficulty to perform moves (was the move difficult to pull off?)
-Aesthetics of moves (did the move look "cool", "pretty", etc?)
-Sloppiness (did it seem like the player practiced and knew what they were doing?)
-creativity (does the player only use moves other people have also used already?)
-captivity (does the player make me want to keep watching the play?)
-etc

Prizes!
That's the prizes so far. Thanks to peppy and Derekku for supporting this event! <3

Winners by Judgment:

#1: 3 months of supporter + banner for userpage
#2: 2 month of supporter + banner for userpage
#3: banner for userpage

Winner by Community:

#1: 1 month of supporter + banner for userpage
#2: banner for userpage
#3: banner for userpage

Judges
Scheiby

If I don't like you, you'll lose! Doesn't matter how much your score is, you'll lose and cry!
(Just kidding! :D I hope we all enjoy this great tournament and have some fun!)

-Soba-

Hi! I'm -Soba- and I didn't gave Scheiby an introducing text. That's why this line is not existing...

kjwkjw

Hey, kjw here! Mostly a Taiko player, but I dabble in standard mode as well. My emphasis will also be on your theme -- go for creativity and unity, and rack those points up. Good luck!

Current sign-ups (last updated: 07/12 /2013 )
Flanster
You should have linked the thread in the OP.
Edit: added.
Tom94
I'm in, already played and got recorded. ~
jesse1412
back and in.
winber1
omg soba, really.

you would.

i will join in this just to make you jealous soba <3

edit: I still don't understand what this schedule thing is for. and these 3 tries thing. Also is there just going to be like one submission and that's it? (like the beatmapping contest)
ReVeNg3r
k sign me up
Anroyz
I don't see why not, so i'm in.
Revy
let me in LOLZ
balter 666
LET ME IN ! plz :oops:
Velos_old
I join this event
Colored
ok ;D
fun event
Runamii
i want to try it and i'm in :)
CoreFantasy
hmm look interesting
what if cursor dancing tournament? lol xD
MillhioreF
I'll join too! Just because.
TakuMii
joining for teh lulz

EDIT: actually, never mind. I'll be gone all week next week.
Ohrami
can't make it the shit's stuck outta my way son!
DOOR STUCK! DOOR STUCK!!!!!!!
Sena Aizawa
i think i want to join in too
Naikaze
Sign me up~!
rEdo
I'm doing this naturally while playing, so why not?

sign me in, please :3
Himei
I like to join :D
Nostalgia
Sounds fun.

...maybe I will.
GladiOol
ok fuck this i'll join
Bezok
Sign me ! :D
funnytrees
I'd like to join! I wonder if playing with a tablet and mouse at the same time will be any good.
Syrus
Well, sounds cool. I'm in
Anhedonia
This seems fun. Sign me up!
walao
Sign me up~ Dont see any reason not too
show more