forum

New Beatmap Editor Features Compilation

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +90
Topic Starter
_dog

New Beatmap Editor Features Compilation

Hello I'm Grim,, as some of you know, I like to create maps for enjoyment but there are very tedious and slightly inconvient things you have to go through when mapping. So here is a thread of ideas we came up in #modhelp to make the mapping process a whole lot simpler for us and everyone else.

Ok let's get started.

Isometric Grid

When mapping tight angles or
triangles it's hard to get the perfect fit on a normal grid.

Dim Bar for Playtest

This is pretty self-explanatory.

Guidelines

Guidelines provide a good way of snapping notes on the same horizontal or vertical path from afar.
Yes we do have angle snap by holding "shift" but this doesn't help for notes that aren't right after eachother.
example

For those who use gimp or photoshop:
Node Selection

This tool allows you to select a bunch of circles and have them work as nodes like on sliders. This can make for making a good curve or shape out of circles easier. For those who say: "Use convert slider to stream". This is for different spaced circles and placement.

Test maps at different speeds

This is pretty self-explanatory.

Easy SV equalizer

When going into a different section with a different BPM sometimes it can be annoying to change the SV till it's the save as the last section.
To explain this a little better let's use cheesiest's math skills.
You have a 220 bpm song with a 55 bpm section in the middle.
The 220 bpm section has the base SV.
BPM * SV Multiplier = Your Constant
220:55 = 4:1 So you need a 1x Multiplier for the 220 Section and a 4x Multiplier for the 55 bpm section so they will be equal.

Inheriting Point Sorting

Mappers who take a good deal of time an effort on SV changing and hitsounding will enjoy this one. When needing to manipulate an inheriting point in a large list it's almost impossible to find exactly what you want. So by adding a sorting tab you can pin point down to the exact inheriting point you want. Or manipulate all the ones with the same thing at the same time instead of going through each section to select all and change and realizing you want to change them again.
example

Now ktgster can change his 30% Hitsound Volumes to 40%.

Combo Colour Sections

We colour hax0rz go through a very long effort of changing each sections combo colour. By adding a new point to the map, you can select the combo colours you want for that area of the map and so on. Making it easier to go through each section.

Reverting Back to Old Saves

When making a map soemtimes you like to change things about it and test them. What happens after you realize what you changed didn't play well? You can't just undo it because it's been overwritten which is why there needs to be a way to undo after testing. If this messes with osu!'s file format. Why not have the editor create a temp file of the diff every time you hit save so you can undo it alter, and when you leave the editor then you can't go back in and undo.(Compromise)
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/96828/
Just keep the undo change list till you leave the editor completely.

Well that is all we have for now. Feel free to post your ideas in the bottom. Use bold text if it's an idea. If it's not an idea please don't post in bold. It will make it easier for discussion. Thanks to all who contributed in #modhelp. You know who you are. Please help us make a better editor.

PS: Taiko Editor should have one bar for red circles and another bar for blue circles. And on each bar you can switch between Normal or big circle.
PPS: can't support? Just reply. :D
Topic Starter
_dog
Other Mapping Threads you can support:
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/123509 - [Editor Mode] Move placed notes using Keyboard
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/129618 - CTB Editor
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/96828/ - Autosave
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/23267 - Reverting unuploaded maps after testing
eldnl
what about using mods when testing?
TheVileOne
Add reverting changes after testplay to that. It's annoying to have to consider the difficulty of restoring a pattern when considering changes for a beatmap. This is by far what I want more than any other feature added to the game right now.

Edit: formatting

Undo History that doesn't erase after a testplay. I shouldn't have to worry about recreating my existing pattern when I am testing a new pattern. It is a waste of time to either upload a new build of my map so that I don't lose changes or I sometimes create a test difficulty for small change testing. I can't quickly test my old pattern with the new pattern. The fastest solution is to have a test difficulty with the new pattern and I test the same part of the song in both difficulties and I will need to remove the test difficulty before I submit. I shouldn't need to do this.
Maeglwn
I concur, mostly with the dim background one in particular, that's just a gimme
Topic Starter
_dog

eldnl wrote:

what about using mods when testing?
Dizco_old
Some things you forgot to add from the conversation:

x/8 and/or x/16 timing signature support.

My own suggestion: A mapping toolbar or panel containing the most commonly used functions from the edit compose and timing menus. Also i will have your babies if you make it customizable.

Hitsound mute button.

Wild dream: Individual sample volume option, to be able to make specific hitsounds louder or quieter compared to others, this would be universal for the whole mapset or else i think it would break consistency.

Gridcoordinate display: We already have coordinates but it would make some tasks so much simpler if they matched the gridlevel.

Related: a measuring tool or option to display grid distance between objects.

in bold dude
peppy
SV changes are intentionally not easy to do, since it shouldn't be done often. I don't intend on making it easier because that will encourage bad mapping.
mm201
Sorting would be better done by clicking columns, like every other Windows program, not in its own tab.

Combo colour sections are extremely easy to do and need no assistance if you know how to do them right. Simply, when you begin a new colour section, remember the colour you used first. If you add more combos elsewhere, adjust that object to its former colour. You should never need to "fix" the colours of all the objects ever.

I already discussed hex-grids in chat and decided that 12-way angle snap would be more useful.

Dizco: You can measure the distance between objects using the distance spacing indicator in the top right. If you can't convert from spacing to grids, something else is wrong.
TheVileOne
What about the Undo feature? Please tell me it's feasible to make this change. It would make my life so much easier.
Topic Starter
_dog

mm201 wrote:

Sorting would be better done by clicking columns, like every other Windows program, not in its own tab.
The point was to make it easier to find things in the tab and sometimes you mess up on clicking. Also scorolling throught the whole tab to find each point witth a certain change on it is tediou when you have a lot of points. Most experienced maps now work on aesthetics and need this.
Combo colour sections are extremely easy to do and need no assistance if you know how to do them right. Simply, when you begin a new colour section, remember the colour you used first. If you add more combos elsewhere, adjust that object to its former colour. You should never need to "fix" the colours of all the objects ever.
I do color haxing and so does a fellow user by the name of RLC, it's very annoying havign to go back and manually change things. And it seems like it would be easy to implement just a little tab that restricts the colours that can be used int hat area.
I already discussed hex-grids in chat and decided that 12-way angle snap would be more useful.
gg isometric plz
Dizco: You can measure the distance between objects using the distance spacing indicator in the top right. If you can't convert from spacing to grids, something else is wrong.
D33d
mm, I think that colour grouping would be more useful in the case of colourhax being added after sections/entire maps have been mapped. That, and there are times when something goes wrong with a colourhaxed section or combos are modified--this throws off the rotation and requires loads of individual combofixes. It gets pretty damn annoying.

The main thing which would bother me about non-grid, 12-way snapping is that it would probably introduce a lot of grid errors. This is why I'm so eager for an isometric grid, as it'd make it far easier to align things consistently. I know that it might cause some issues with going back to a standard grid, but I'd say that the idea of an isometric grid is that one would stick to it for longer sections.

Either way, guidelines are really something that I'd like to see, as it would require little more than redrawing the grid with some bolder lines. It would bring about a massive benefit to picky mapping. Being able to play a map at slower speeds, I.e. as per the speed percentage slider in the editor, would make it easier to get picky about the feel of certain patterns in relation to the music.
Dizco_old

mm201 wrote:

The suggestion is for objects that aren't next to eachtother on the timeline. The purpose of it is to elimnate the need for gridcounting. While i personally have developed methods for aligning objects without the need to do it manually its quite unintuitive. The thread is for suggestions for improvement. And even if it is possible to deduce the distance by other means, there is no reason to say that it couldnt be easier.
Kitokofox
You ought to include this: p/2374357
Topic Starter
_dog

Kitokofox wrote:

You ought to include this: p/2374357
Added to Support post
quiz-chan_DELETED
What I definitely agree with would be the undo template when testing maps.
It saves tons of times and would come in handy.

I dunno how impossible it is to code something like this, but...
...is there a way to make osu! copy hitsounding from some patterns to paste them on others withOUT pasting the pattern and setting the sampleset and additional hitsound over and over blahblah?
Dizco_old

Quiz-chan wrote:

What I definitely agree with would be the undo template when testing maps.
It saves tons of times and would come in handy.

I dunno how impossible it is to code something like this, but...
...is there a way to make osu! copy hitsounding from some patterns to paste them on others withOUT pasting the pattern and setting the sampleset and additional hitsound over and over blahblah?
I was thinking of something along the same lines, would be nice to have a feature that creates a list of hitsounds used in order, would make it tons simpler to check for errors. Or simply a list of notes and what hitsound they have and allow changing from this interface. Basically the same as with inherited timing points.

Or alternatively a feature that allows creating a hitsound scheme without having to set each one individually.

Right now i would be overjoyed with just a simple hitsound index.
-GN
Testing maps with different speeds(including 150%) would be a godsend

8-)
vantheman
having done a lot of graphic design coursework in adobe illustrator and adobe indesign, I have to say similar alignment snapping, guidelines, or an isometric grid, or anything like that will make clean geometric patterns easier and faster for a mapper,
would probably benefit the game as a whole, given that geometric patterns is more or less what music is. +support for more guides and snapping features.

Another idea(it's a wild one): slider library
A button below the spinner tool, takes you to a separate screen(or an overlay screen) for selecting from a library of good scalable sliders to drop into a map. Would it be community assembled? With a way for BATs to certify they're rankable? Those are first thoughts coming to mind but I'm sure they have inherent problems too.
In addition to slider library, hit circle formation library too. Or even patterns of hits and sliders to be inserted. "Good mapping" could become a lot more community driven this way, I think.
Since all of these things can be edited after being dropped into a map, and they can exist in infinite number if they're community made, I think they'll contribute to maps being more unique and not more generic. If the tools get better, it will still require a good mind to use them right.