forum

Xbox One Policy Changes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Professor Prinny
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Microsoft has now finally reacted to the anger of the gamers and changed their policies on used games and always online.

1. An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games
  2. Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today
They're a bit late though imo.
Mafiamaster
Haha, wow. What made them think that their original plan would actually work... Anyways, thanks for the new news!
Hika
That's cute, they seem eager to sell all of a sudden.
Ekaru
They were kind of fucked if they didn't because the reactions they were getting were just unbelievably bad.
Outsanity

Hika wrote:

That's cute, they seem eager to sell all of a sudden.
I still think a price drop is needed.
Maybe $299.
Azure_Kite
I actually laughed when I read the title of that article. I couldn't help it.

"Hey Customers. Fuck you."

'Yeah yeah, whatever. Guess you're not getting your paycheck.'

"Oh... I'm sorry. I didn't really mean that."
awp
why are there so many threads about these things can't we put them in one "next gen/E3 stuff" thread ):
Azure_Kite
Because that would be highly logical and yeah.
Ekaru

awp wrote:

why are there so many threads about these things can't we put them in one "next gen/E3 stuff" thread ):
I made a thread for the PS4's "No-DRM" because it was "OMG" and a thread for the Xbox One's pricing because I found it hilarious. I didn't even think that somebody would make yet another damn PS4/Xbone thread. >_>

Do feel free to merge them, though. I'm pretty sure you'd get something pretty coherent since the first two threads sort of turned into the same topic anyways and this one takes place well after those.
Cropzy

Professor Prinny wrote:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Microsoft has now finally reacted to the anger of the gamers and changed their policies on used games and always online.

1. An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games
  2. Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today
They're a bit late though imo.
Still going to be a bad console.
DaddyCoolVipper
I don't think they ever actually planned to have that DRM. They generated a ton of controversy so everyone would talk about them (successful marketing), and then switched their policies to look the like saviours of gaming, despite still being a shit company that fucks people over.

And people are falling for it! "Microsoft listen to their fans! Cancelling my PS4 pre-order and buying an xbox!"

god damn evil geniuses, they are
Azure_Kite
B-But even with the DRM issues put aside, the launch/soon after launch lineup doesn't really seem that great to me. I'd still choose PS4 over X1, personally.

Of course, first I'd need a TV.
Ekaru

Azure_Kite wrote:

B-But even with the DRM issues put aside, the launch/soon after launch lineup doesn't really seem that great to me. I'd still choose PS4 over X1, personally.

Of course, first I'd need a TV.
3DS for best next-gen console confirmed. :P
Blaziken
Hika
If it's gonna do the absolutely same thing, it's not worth it.
Also, I'm not sure but it's not backwards compatible, correct? I remember someone telling me that PS4 was.
Blaziken
PS4 is Xbone isnt.
Soaprman

Blaziken wrote:

PS4 is Xbone isnt.
Started reading this thread from page two, saw this post out of context, and thought it was some kind of really badly mangled "Genesis does what Nintendon't" type message.

I thought the family sharing feature sounded interesting, though there was never any chance of me taking advantage of it when it was at the cost of being able to play completely offline. The other "features" all sounded like horseshit too.

It'd be great to hear from a major publisher who pushed for that DRM on this turn of events. I wonder how many projects in the Xbone's launch lineup were started on an assumption that DRM would exist to protect them. Would their launch lineup be weaker if no DRM plans had existed all along? Or would the PS4's launch lineup be stronger had Xbone not had the "advantage" of DRM? When the race is so tight in nearly every other regard, and the launch times are about the same, the lineup could be a very big thing. It wouldn't surprise me to see either company going out of their way to get the upper hand there.
awp

Hika wrote:

Also, I'm not sure but it's not backwards compatible, correct? I remember someone telling me that PS4 was.
I don't think the PS4 is backwards compatible in that you put a PS3 disc in and it works. I think they're porting the PS3 library to the PS4 digitally. You might have to purchase the entire library again. Not sure.

The XBone's family sharing games thing isn't actually sharing games. It lets you play a timed demo, then asks you to pay for it.
ampzz
Microsoft already screwed up really badly due to even thinking this to be a 'good idea'.
As far as I know there are quite a few franchises that will be dropping X1 support and development completely because of all this utterly insane bollocks.

Also, to everyone who thinks that the Xbox One is dropping the DRM completely, you are sorely mistaken as Microsoft will easily think of a way to make the DRM still function how they want it to without consumers having a single clue about it until they find out the hard way.

Long story short; Sony completely thrashed Microsoft this time (yet again) with the Xbox obviously going to try playing catch-up after all this mess has occurred, which is highly unlikely that the purchasers will even bother with it.

This article in particular from Destructiod was highly entertaining:

SPOILER

Xbox One has 'single handedly alienated the military' wrote:

Regular gamers have expressed quite a bit of upset at Xbox One's ridiculous DRM policies, but nowhere is the disdain more keenly felt -- nor more justified -- than that coming from America's armed services. Considering the troops have a lot of downtime, and games are a good way to soak up the hours, the Xbox One is absolutely useless to them.

An article in the Navy Times calls the Xbox One's DRM "a showstopper," and explains to its readers exactly how they'll be unable to use the Xbox One, should they be stationed aboard ships or overseas.

"Microsoft has single handedly alienated the entire military. And not just the U.S. military -- the militaries of the entire world," stated naval aviator Jay Johnson.

As well as the region locking and online check-ins, the Navy Times highlights the "serious security concerns" with the built-in Kinect and its constant listening. Always listening. Forever listening.

"Even when the Xbox One is in sleep mode, its built-in microphone can always listen in," explains the article. "It’s a feature developers say will provide quick voice-command access to games and apps -- but that could spook commanders who might worry the always-connected device could also capture more than just idle chit-chat among troops."

Videogames have become a big part of military downtime, and the Xbox 360 was undoubtedly a hugely popular choice. Don Mattrick has expressed his belief that anybody unable to use the Xbox One (basically the entire armed forces) can just keep using the 360, but I have a feeling service members will instead just migrate to the PS4. According to a local air force buddy of mine, that's already being seen as the best option by some folks.
Source: http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-has ... 6457.phtml
REPATHOS
I still don't want kinect! :(
Ekaru

awp wrote:

Hika wrote:

I don't think the PS4 is backwards compatible in that you put a PS3 disc in and it works. I think they're porting the PS3 library to the PS4 digitally. You might have to purchase the entire library again. Not sure.
You'll have to stream PS3 games. As in, another machine across the interwebs will be running the game and then streaming it to your console. HOORAY FOR LATENCY, EH?
mm201
Video game computing cluster clouds has to be the worst idea ever conceived.
Soaprman
The cloud's the future, baby! Even for things that shouldn't be clouded!
Mianki