forum

[osu!mania]different keys in but same difficulty ->same box.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +10
Topic Starter
Seyren Windsor
I know i am new in this community and probably my opinion won't be very important, but this is something IMO should be done.

This is hard to explain, but i will try to do my best in explaining it.

There are not many mania! mappers, since there are like only 17 ranked mania maps, which a pretty low number, but since i am mapping for mania, i realized that unlike other games, This game takes a map that has the same difficulty but the same keys like they were two different difficulties (i'm not sure if i explained my self properly) With this i mean, when i finished making my diffs for TAK - SINister Evolution i realized and saw this:

And then you are like, god, so many diffs.

However, there are 2 Hard Diffs and 2 Super Crazy (or SC) Diffs, which the only difference between them are probably the amount of Keys. (Maybe my map is not the best example but there are maps with 3 difficulties with 4 and 7 keys each one)

So i was wondering, Why we don't group diffs that have the same difficulty, but different Keys? This would be way more organized and with this esthetic mania mappers (or at least only me) would make more key difficulties (rather than 4 and 7 like everyone)
I am going to show you how skilled with photo editing i am:

It could look like this:

Or like this instead:

About editing, the key amount could be in a new window like the above or mixed with the other ones:

I don't know much about programming and maybe this looks harder than it seems and maybe it's not worth it but, i think this is way more organized and is esthetically better for people to be honest :)

Tell me what do you guys think, i think it's not really a bad idea and it also gives some love to the mania players :P

Thanks in advance
-Seyren
chaotic_iak
I think the opposite way is better: Group by number of keys, and choose the difficulty. So, if we have 4K Easy, 4K Insane, 7K Easy, 7K Insane, your proposal will display Easy and Insane (with each having 4K and 7K), while my proposal will display 4K and 7K (with each having Easy and Insane).

But yeah, support nevertheless. When a song's difficulties start going over the screen, there should be a way to compact them.

Also, with this method, that Key Settings tab is not necessary; osu! can simply group difficulties with the same keycount in one. (As opposed to introducing that new tab in order to group similar difficulties with different keycounts together.)
Topic Starter
Seyren Windsor

chaotic_iak wrote:

I think the opposite way is better: Group by number of keys, and choose the difficulty. So, if we have 4K Easy, 4K Insane, 7K Easy, 7K Insane, your proposal will display Easy and Insane (with each having 4K and 7K), while my proposal will display 4K and 7K (with each having Easy and Insane).

But yeah, support nevertheless. When a song's difficulties start going over the screen, there should be a way to compact them.

Also, with this method, that Key Settings tab is not necessary; osu! can simply group difficulties with the same keycount in one. (As opposed to introducing that new tab in order to group similar difficulties with different keycounts together.)

I would also agree the other way around, i wouldn't mind if it's grouped by keys or difficulty, my point here is to group the charts in order to not to make a mess in mania maps, about the tab, was just a suggestion, i mentioned before that that tab could be mixed with other ones, not being a tab by itself, so i am not really worried about if that is going to be made in the end.

Thanks for your reply, i am happy to know that someone likes this request :)
Topic Starter
Seyren Windsor
I hope it's not a problem, but i would like to bump this request since it has been 2 months since someone writed here, i hope this time more people read it nwn
Bobbias
I actually wouldn't mind something like this. It wouldn't make a huge impact to me, but it would be a nice feature anyway.
Topic Starter
Seyren Windsor

Bobbias wrote:

I actually wouldn't mind something like this. It wouldn't make a huge impact to me, but it would be a nice feature anyway.

Well, it would be a huge impact to mania players, or at least to me, it adds some actual organization to the map, for example if want to make a difficulty with the 4 different keys it would be a total mess when selecting, and this way is much comfortable to select, and for mappers, to encourage them to map :) (me for example, i would totally do all the keys on difficulties if this happens, it won't tho but i gotta try :D)

I also would like to bump this post again since it's been like almost 2 months since this was posted, if it's not a problem :?
Bobbias

Seyren Windsor wrote:

Well, it would be a huge impact to mania players

I've been playing mania since the day it was publicly released, and played o2jam and stepmania collectively for about 10 years before I found osu standard. So I'd say I definitely fit in the category of 'mania payers'.

That said, I'll support this. It would make things more organized. However, I have a feeling that this would take a lot of work to implement without glitches, if I have any understanding of how the song list currently works.