Rate the Mapping Technique - Round 55: Variable Streams

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love it!
11.15%
6.76%
22.30%
23.65%
1 - Hate it!
36.15%
Total votes: 296
Topic Starter
dkun
Round 55: Variable Spaced Streams | Discontinuous Streams

Nominated by fartownik' href='https://osu.ppy.sh/users/%3Cspan%20style%3D%27color%3A%23FF8000%27%3E%3Cstrong%3Efartownik%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E' style=''><span style='color:#FF8000'><strong>fartownik</strong></span> + benguin (both ideas were a bit similar, merged the both! hope you two don't mind)

Another technique on the more advanced side in standard, where instead of an orthodox stream that's spaced out normally, you do as the title says. You change the distance snap of the stream, if not make it discontinuous by abruptly making a small jump WHILE the stream is still going. This varies greatly due to mapping style and choice of music being mapped, as shown in the examples.

Map(s) that use this technique (these maps are also screenshotted above, in order.)
  1. Silent Spica - Anhedonia [Another] by Muya
  2. Rche - Todestrieb [Another] by Muya
  3. D.J. Amuro - F [Another] by fartownik' href='https://osu.ppy.sh/users/%3Cspan%20style%3D%27color%3A%23FF8000%27%3E%3Cstrong%3Efartownik%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E' style=''><span style='color:#FF8000'><strong>fartownik</strong></span>
  4. O-Life Japan - Yakujinsama no Couple Dance [Lunatic] by <strong>ignorethis</strong>
  5. senya - Utakata, Ai no Mahoroba [Lunatic] by Scorpiour' href='https://osu.ppy.sh/users/%3Cspan%20style%3D%27color%3A%23FF8000%27%3E%3Cstrong%3EScorpiour%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E' style=''><span style='color:#FF8000'><strong>Scorpiour</strong></span>
silmarilen
oh man i hate this so much, i just cant read it
_dog
some people use or abuse this terribly bt i love the technique so i give it a 4. Don't over do it though.
Also please don't make automatically think that you must use this technique, it only applies to the type of song, and it's really hard to make it readable.
It's best to just not do it at all until you become a very VERY experienced mapper in the art of streeam creation. (<- lel)
Charles445
Can be done well, can be done horribly wrong. 3
Tear
This is terrible and should be unrankable imo. I can 300 them just fine and usually on the first try, but they're extremely annoying in the way bad patterns in old maps are. A map with this feels like it wants me dead and makes me paranoid while playing. Note that I only hate random huge jumps in streams Oboro, variable speed is fine.
I'm glad this has been posted though, I want to see if there's even a single person that enjoys them more than regular streams.
D33d
2, because they usually flow horribly. I've seen them used kinda nicely in one or two cases, such as Krisom's insane in iNiD - Pyramid Treasure

Then there's that 'Weep Irish' nonsense. No thank you!
inverness
Hate this. It's just very weird to have a normal-spaced gap between the streams thus they're flowing badly.
I mean, this? Big no no.\
I'm talking about the placement, not the overall technique.

If they're somewhat placed like these:

I'd rate 5.

nvm LOLOLOLOLO let's rate 5 i consider it beautiful now
those
Can be good. Commonly mistaken as good when actually bad. Many staff members aren't able to tell when it is bad. Rated 2.
show more