forum

What does the community really like?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EtheralAzure
When surfing the beatmap section I see some pending/WIP/graveyard maps with extremely high hypes/plays/likes. I once thought it was just because mappers are too lazy to push them forward, but when I take a good look they just turn out to be less fancy-made than I'd expected. So how do they get popular?

Some sets are featuring really famous songs so I assume people click like for the song more than the beatmap, but some don't fall into this category and I'm getting really confused. So what does the community really like?

Sometimes mappers just pile up difficulty, not regarding any flow/playability/aesthetics, still getting tons of attention. I've been mapping for 2 years. I can't figure out any reason to praise some of the popular sets, and sure enough, they're denied by bns continuously if attempted (Most of the time they don't basically piss of anyone, just poorly made). So do people like sr? 10* random jumps, random lined cut streams, or random sliders?

I'm probably biased and apologize for that, but I'm really curious about how that happened.

I'm not indicating any specific beatmap, feeling sorry if you deem I am.
Zelzatter Zero
If what you care was just pandering to what people like best, you won't getting anywhere. Even some maps nowadays barely has like 15-20 favs, or even none before going to ranked.

The reason why those maps got into graveyard has already been said by you yourself, but you also have to aware that it does means that the popularity gain was just mostly luck. Take one of my maps as an example, I mapped it was purely because of my interest in the song, and left it to graveyard because it seems like I can't push it further and eventually abandoned it, completely forgot that fact that it's 20 favs already.

TL;DR just map what you like best, and improve your mapping further. Popularity will come naturally without you even aware of it, no need to brute force.
Topic Starter
EtheralAzure

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

If what you care was just pandering to what people like best, you won't getting anywhere. Even some maps nowadays barely has like 15-20 favs, or even none before going to ranked.

The reason why those maps got into graveyard has already been said by you yourself, but you also have to aware that it does means that the popularity gain was just mostly luck. Take one of my maps as an example, I mapped it was purely because of my interest in the song, and left it to graveyard because it seems like I can't push it further and eventually abandoned it, completely forgot that fact that it's 20 favs already.

TL;DR just map what you like best, and improve your mapping further. Popularity will come naturally without you even aware of it, no need to brute force.
I once considered luck but I always suspect that there's something more than luck. Mapper's social circle&fame are probable aspects, but I've seen people with only 1 mapset getting 3 digit favs, while one of my mapset which I'm still pushing has been in existence for nearly 2 years, only receiving 3 favs (Sadly they're all my friends). Experienced mappers said my diffs are okay for ranking so I'm still hopeful enough, and once ranked it will gain popularity for sure, so I'm not worried about that. Not seeking popularity, just curious about the phenomenon ><
lewski
you're thinking too hard about it
people just like maps their favourite streamer played on stream
Topic Starter
EtheralAzure

lewski wrote:

tbh I've never thought about this... but it sounds valid ><
aiq

lewski wrote:

literally explains how maps like this got loved status
Sophie Twilight
In the end, fame plays bigger factor to get popular than quality
NekoTowel

- Mahiro - wrote:

In the end, fame plays bigger factor to get popular than quality
That goes probably for everything on the internet these days.
lewski
no lol it goes for everything ever
its not an internet thing or a these days thing