forum

Things to keep in mind while mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
C o f f e e
I want to make a ranked map as quick as possible, it seems like a unrealistic goal but I wanted initially to make a ranked map in a week, (Well it takes a week to approve the map :/ )

So I am hoping to make one quickly, and I just think its super cool to make beatmaps.

I would like a list of the most important things to keep in mind while making the beatmap.
aiq
sorry to break it to you right now, but you won't be able to rank a map so soon.

to be able to rank a map, you need a lot of experience - experience that comes with time and mapping more. and, as it stands, you don't have nearly enough experience.

on another note, stop trying to push for ranked so soon. if you truly enjoying mapping, you will end up doing it for fun and not for any other arbitrary reason. and, if you end up mapping for fun, improvement will come naturally, so you won't have to worry too much.

tl;dr you're not good enough yet. map more and you will get there
Sophie Twilight
In my opinion, keep your structure clean mainly slider shape (keep straight line slider in angle of +-20 in each quadrant axis (0, 90, 180, 270, 360)
Topic Starter
C o f f e e

- Mahiro - wrote:

In my opinion, keep your structure clean mainly slider shape (keep straight line slider in angle of +-20 in each quadrant axis (0, 90, 180, 270, 360)
Can u explain wa +-20 means
Sophie Twilight

InfantHitter wrote:

- Mahiro - wrote:

The angle is not 20 too high or too low from 90, 180, 270, 360 is what I mean

If you intend to create a straight slider heading with y-axis direction (90 degree as example), make sure the angle is somewhere from 70 to 110 only

Of course, this is my mapping style to make things natural, you don't have to follow this as it is very time-consuming. But this is a really good way to make clean maps
Topic Starter
C o f f e e

- Mahiro - wrote:

InfantHitter wrote:

- Mahiro - wrote:

The angle is not 20 too high or too low from 90, 180, 270, 360 is what I mean

If you intend to create a straight slider heading with y-axis direction (90 degree as example), make sure the angle is somewhere from 70 to 110 only

Of course, this is my mapping style to make things natural, you don't have to follow this as it is very time-consuming. But this is a really good way to make clean maps
ohhhh alrighty i will write it down B^)
Vararaup
It took me 8 months of practice to rank my first map. I don't know any modern mapper no matter how talented, that ranked their first map within the first 3 months.

Ranking a map isn't a walk in the park. Mapping has many different concepts that takes mappers months to learn.

If you haven't, try watching pishifat on youtube
peappi
i suggest you try copying other mapper's mapping style since it's way easier to like copy a mapping style rather than to form your own since you just started out. but that's just how i do
Topic Starter
C o f f e e

Vararaup wrote:

It took me 8 months of practice to rank my first map. I don't know any modern mapper no matter how talented, that ranked their first map within the first 3 months.

Ranking a map isn't a walk in the park. Mapping has many different concepts that takes mappers months to learn.

If you haven't, try watching pishifat on youtube
That sounds a lot more realistic, and I actually did look at a lot of his videos, my jaw dropped when I realized he was from the tutorial xd
KumiDaiko
best thing to keep in mind is to focus on expressing the music: when the music is calm, slider velocity and spacing should be lower. (and higher for hype parts)
Sophie Twilight

KumiDaiko wrote:

best thing to keep in mind is to focus on expressing the music: when the music is calm, slider velocity, spacing and rhythm density should be lower. (and higher for hype parts)
I agree. Slider velocity is heavily underused among mappers. It is the best feature to make things lively if you can handle it
EtheralAzure
Three most important things for me:
>Keep your and your map's niche clear. One cannot be good at everything without an era of practice, so make sure you know which kind of mapper you're going for (e.g. farm mapper, tech mapper and so on. You can even have it more accurate by adding features. I like simple but exquisite farmy stuff so I always keep that in mind.) at first, and what kind of map you're working on (e.g. calm, generic, jump, deathstream, alt, sliderhell, sometimes a conbination of several of them according to the song but I'll certainly discourage a new mapper to choose such a song.).
>Keep learning from others. The Chinese saying goes "Moments of learning is far beyond days of thinking", so act like a sponge and always absorb from other maps. If you're new and cannot sense the style behind a map exactly, just focus on small things you take a liking to, like a couple of jumps, a combination of sliders. Use them in your own map, and when you think you're good enough to use them properly, go for more. If serious you can even have them on a notebook or in screenshots.
>Keep involved in the mapping community. People here are mostly kind and ready to help you in lots of ways. Stay friendly&humble, keep asking. If you can have someone else to handle your problem, then you'll only organize words to be clear&reasonable. Broaden your social circle is also good when you need some good mods/guest difficulties. I'm just opposite from a social butterfly so the result is over 2 years' struggle and not even one ranked mapset. Don't be like me. From 8/8 to 8/14, the Community Mentorship Program Summer 2021 will open its mentee registration, and if lucky enough you can even find a mentor and progress rapidly.