forum

WHY ARE TIME SIGNITURES SO ANNOYING

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
corgiandquokas
im making a beatmap of metallica's one. it changes time sig alot

like in parts it goes from "That there is not much left of me" which is 3/4, immediately into "nothing isreal but pain now" which is 2/4(using 4/4 while mapping because 2/4 not supported) straight to "hold my breath as i wish for death" which is 6/4. like hell metallica why cant you just. ya'know. not change sig every second for once. this is why i put of doing a master of puppets beatmap because that even worse. i thought this song was fully in 3/4 until i realised that the verse lined up yet the intro and the chorus didnt. so i did more research and yeh. its got alot of changes. please say im not the only one annoyed at this.
Zelzatter Zero
There's a reason why barely anyone, even veterans, attempts to map any of them.

Any song that isn't composed on computer where BPM is constant all suffer this issue, in one way or another. Human error is completely uncontrollable without the help of metronome.
WitherMite
I recently timed a song thats primarily in 6/8, but for like two minutes in the middle it jumps around from 6/8 to 5/8 to 7/8 to 9/8 every few measures with no discernable pattern, so not only did I have to find the changes, I also had to use metronome resets for the odd time signatures:

honestly I like figuring out complex time signature stuff though, its like a puzzle.
timing human error is real pain though.
TheKingHenry
the real issue with Metallica - and the main reason there ain't really maps on their songs I'd assume - is that their stuff is variable, signature-wise they are quite tame most of the time (and there are plenty of people already mapping a lot wilder stuff in that regard for example)

in any case in general I do agree with you I often find signatures pain to work with as well, mainly because I don't want to add hundred additional points just because osu! doesn't support some signature for example ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Zelzatter Zero
There's a fine line between stuffs with variable BPM and stuffs with variable time signature. While BPM is the most painful one to map I'd admit that time sig ain't going easy with me either.

However I'd go for the latter, as most of the time the BPM is constant and what you need is a mere understanding of how time sig works and the editor itself, which isn't really hard to observe imo. Meanwhile you'll have to eyeball everything in variable BPM...