forum

What's the deepest/smartest anime you've seen?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Alucard
Definately agree with Ghost in the Shell.
jaye19
For depth, I gotta agree with Mushishi. As well for Death Note and Steins;Gate for intelligence. But aside from those three I haven't really watched any deep or smart animes such as those. Except for School Days. 2deep4me
Lust
RahXephon, in so deep man in so deep
Kyonko Hizara
Steins;Gate wins it with intelligence
Cropzy
boku no pico
HoneyCakeZ
Intelligence - Steins Gate, Death Note, Bakemonogatari
Deep - Sakurasou, Suzumiya Haruhi No Shoushitsu, Angel Beats
Akimari_old
Intelligent - Yuru Yuri
Deep - Lucky Star
ToodleNoodles

Alucard wrote:

Definately agree with Ghost in the Shell.
Mogsy
Cerebral anime are not taken very seriously, it seems. :v

The deepest show I've seen is probably Revolutionary Girl Utena, due to its mastery of deliberate action. Everything in the show is deliberate and has meaning behind it, but analyzing one element of the show can lead you off on tangents that can have you miss a different topic altogether in the same scene. It is up to the viewer, however, to see whether the deliberate set-ups in place are either actual pieces of the overall puzzle or if you're chasing a red herring. It goes on to deconstruct shoujo, fairy tale, and magical girl tropes in quite the adult fashion. Mawaru Penguindrum is in the same boat as it, tackling similar topics while taking a different stance on them, with the multiple layers of message interpretation and thematic red herrings that make each rewatch all the more rewarding.

Several other very smart shows I've seen include some of the more cold and cryptic offerings of anime, such as Ghost Hound, Serial Experiments Lain, and Wolf's Rain. Each one requires the viewer to piece together what is going on, especially in the case of Wolf's Rain. More accessible yet still cerebral shows include the purgatory story Haibane Renmei, the interestingly documentary-esque Flag, the dramatic and reflective commentary Millennium Actress, and the dark yet thematically rich Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

There are plenty of others out there, but here are a few that I feel like people might not bring up.
ampzz
You're all wrong.

Hametsu no Mars wins by a collosal margin.
-Seren-
for deep - Now and Then, Here and There

for intelligence - people have mentioned them already
Szymek
Death Note huehuehue
Green Platinum
Kantai Collection people say I can't appreciate it because I haven't played the game
EneT

Green Platinum wrote:

Kantai Collection people say I can't appreciate it because I haven't played the game
Kantai collection is so deep, like that one episode where whats-their-faces had that cooking competition and gained the drive to win vs those other complete retards; Man, and all the other episodes where whats-her-name kept saying 'Poi', it felt like there was a deeper meaning to it. SO deep.
Green Platinum

EneT wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Kantai collection is so deep, like that one episode where whats-their-faces had that cooking competition and gained the drive to win vs those other complete retards; Man, and all the other episodes where whats-her-name kept saying 'Poi', it felt like there was a deeper meaning to it. SO deep.
The only way the series could be any deeper is if it was about submarines.
EneT
Now that would be in a whole other level of deep.
-ryusakihatsue-
Zetsuen no Tempest :v

actually i'm not sure ._.
Hard
n.h.k. ni youkoso.
[Superstar]_old

Green Platinum wrote:

S2 maybe 8-)
Green Platinum

[Superstar] wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

S2 maybe 8-)
Yes I know, an abomination if I ever did see one.
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
Green Platinum

Apex wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Steins;Gate wins it with intelligence
The unadapted two routes(Amane + Rumiho) of S;G's VN is many times more intelligent than the anime.
Elaborate then, or is it just original is better because it's the original?
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
Monstrata
Monster, NHK ni Youkoso, Code Geass, Aku no Hana

Sora no Woto was surprisingly deep, despite being slice-of-life happy-go-lucky for the first 8 episodes.
LoliPantsu
cory in the house is the best anime i ever watched and the ending made me cry so much :cry:
SkinnyJommy
Will probably get a lot of flame for this... but the deepest/smartest anime I've seen is SAO. It is by far my favorite anime, possible because it was the first anime I watched. The development of all the characters and the message behind the anime itself. I would like to think that message is "Never take life for granted, and make the most of it."
Mogsy

SkinnyJommy wrote:

Will probably get a lot of flame for this... but the deepest/smartest anime I've seen is SAO. It is by far my favorite anime, possible because it was the first anime I watched. The development of all the characters and the message behind the anime itself. I would like to think that message is "Never take life for granted, and make the most of it."
I'd say that's definitely the repeated point of everything, but they mire it in nothing but harem antics and cardboard cutout young male power fantasy that anything SAO might have to say artistically comes across as either forced or incompetent.

Not flaming you, just disagreeing with you.
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
Tonnie123
Death note and no game no life
Green Platinum

Tonnie123 wrote:

Death note, fine it has the whole discussion on ethics and power.
But I will not pay any bratty prodigies always win the animation. NGNL is just a shallow shounen series.
_Shirou
ef: A Tale of Melodies was amazing...so deep and such symbolism...
there are many deep/smart anime though but this is my favorite
Critical Dude
So far it would have to be Hunter x Hunter, only because it seems to go into a lot of characters' backgrounds. From major characters to minor characters...
Tonnie123

Green Platinum wrote:

Tonnie123 wrote:

Death note, fine it has the whole discussion on ethics and power.
But I will not pay any bratty prodigies always win the animation. NGNL is just a shallow shounen series.
I know why u think like that, but when i listed ngnl i did it thinking of the thoughts in some of the games.
The overall is just complete madness but thats why i listed it. For some parts

Btw what does it matter if i say that ngnl is one of the smartest anime i have ever seen. Do you say highschool dxd would fitt better?
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
Tonnie123

Apex wrote:

NGNL is Jojo' Bizarre Adventure for sexually thirsty, gaming teens.
You just insulted my dad? :x
chaee
Ping pong the animation hands down and Code Geass r2
Mafuuu
Mushishi still tops my list of deepest anime. It's not a very long list but still.

(If manga counts, because manga is relatively deeper most of the time imo, then anything by Asano Inio)
tanteiRE
Liar Game for intelligence, and it badly needs an anime adaptation. Simply because series with anime just get more attention, and this one can't get enough.
And then either Another, One Piece, or Henneko for deep.
fiducia67
No game no life - smartest anime
Deepest anime - NANA
abraker
Anime movie: Wolf Children
Anime Series: Steins;Gate
show more