forum

[Suggestion] "osu! Freestyler Event"

posted
Total Posts
show more
enik
Nah, other way around leave it casual, don't bother peppy. Comments like "this guy is the best" are already good prizes. just need someone to start. The problem is it's hard to dance if you don't feel like it, usually it comes unwittingly and since the video must be recorded live you kinda have to force yourself to dance.
lolcubes
Keep this thread civil please.

Feel free to host, you dont need peppy's permission, however someone needs to sponsor the prizes (except for the badge, you need peppy on this one). Since you are the host and the one suggesting prizes, you could probably sponsor them.
;)

As for the event, you need to come with a clear judging system. If you cant describe it in detal, chances are its not gonna work in the first place. How will people know what exactly they need to do to win?

Since the thread is in the wrong place, i will move it.
Vesrand
Can anyone explain what cursor dancing actually is? When u have circles in 2 points: point 1 and point 2 and u need to press them in series your cursor will be moving from point 1 to point 2 in a straight line. So wtf are you talking about?
benguin

Vesrand wrote:

Can anyone explain what cursor dancing actually is? When u have circles in 2 points: point 1 and point 2 and u need to press them in series your cursor will be moving from point 1 to point 2 in a straight line. So wtf are you talking about?
That's what cursor dancing is, choosing an alternative path other than a straight line between notes.

Also, wishy, please learn to give things a chance before bashing it into the ground. You're making way too many assumptions that lead to you coming up with the conclusion that such a tournament will end in failure.

EDIT: OP, pm me if you want someone to help you co-host, I'd like to see this happen and materliaze :P
Marcin

For Vesrand

And BTW You'll have to use actual gameplay, rather than replay data, because replay tends to make everything curved, when you do a circle, replay will save it as you're doing a triangles.
Topic Starter
Scheiby
Thanks lolcubes!

I'll take a little time to complete the terms of this event and working on a complete judging system, where everyone can see what is to do. Meanwhile I'm looking for a fair jury to make this event happen.

@Vesrand: I'm sure you've already seen some cursor dancing. How you said it's the way between point 1 and point 2! But when you dance with your cursor you don't take the straight line! You make it with a bend, let jump your cursor between the circles or something else.
A little example is this vid from Cookie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htp6d-T5GfU (Time 0:39-0:49)
benguin
I'm guessing for this tourney, we're mostly going to be playing easy's and normal's? I mean, anything higher and there's little room for one's creative expression since the timing between notes shrinks down.
Topic Starter
Scheiby

benguin wrote:

I'm guessing for this tourney, we're mostly going to be playing easy's and normal's? I mean, anything higher and there's little room for one's creative expression since the timing between notes shrinks down.

Yeah... and no. xD You're right, but the choose of beatmap and difficulty should be free. Because easy or normal maps are just too slow for good (fast) players. Everyone should pick out the map with an rhythm which is fine for him. Even there won't be a map with 300+bpm ;D
Wishy

benguin wrote:

Also, wishy, please learn to give things a chance before bashing it into the ground. You're making way too many assumptions that lead to you coming up with the conclusion that such a tournament will end in failure.
I'm telling him the truth. This tournament is poorly explained, judgement is kind of random, no real details have been given, etc. My kind of posts is what this guy should be thanking since I'm telling him in a quite straight way what he is doing wrong = what he should change to make this better. It is also a fact that almost every random event proposed by a random user ends up in failure (if it even begins...) or is abandoned.
kriers
generic tournament ends with said random user disappearing from his/her own thread claiming to be too tired of organizing
Wishy

kriers wrote:

generic tournament ends with said random user disappearing from his/her own thread claiming to be too tired of organizing
Or not even claiming anything and just vanishing.
Kanye West
freestyler tournament? don't you think it would be boring to have an entire tournament on one beatmap?
Topic Starter
Scheiby
For once: IF I'm drop this event because I get too tired or anything you all can flame me into the ground! Until this point: Think positiv and let me organize this event! I have many ideas to improve it and I think you all can live with it. My first post was just a suggestion and now we get serious! :D

Kanye West wrote:

freestyler tournament? don't you think it would be boring to have an entire tournament on one beatmap?
Yeah... that would be boring. But like I wrote: Every player can choose the map he / she want! Any difficulty is fine. You have the total controll about what you playing. In this point is no restriction.
Daru

Wishy wrote:

I'm telling him the truth. This tournament is poorly explained, judgement is kind of random, no real details have been given, etc. My kind of posts is what this guy should be thanking since I'm telling him in a quite straight way what he is doing wrong = what he should change to make this better. It is also a fact that almost every random event proposed by a random user ends up in failure (if it even begins...) or is abandoned.
To be fair, your first post was entirely negative, offered no advice to make the event work, and was unnecessarily combative. Your remaining posts have been giving advice in a condescending and pessimistic manner. Since you seem to be defending your posts rather than apologizing for unintentionally sounding like a dick and proceeding to help the OP in a lighter tone, you probably didn't realize you sounded like a dick.

You sounded like a dick.

To the OP:
He's right, though. Try and get some very firm and subjective guidelines for judging. Assign points to things like overall cursor speed, song score, number of "unnecessary" movements, etc. I don't know what you're looking for, but having a definite criteria set up for people to comment on and tweak will help a lot here. Also cut down on the neon text colors in your post and proofread, man - it's unprofessional and does nothing to make people take you seriously.
Smashy
It's a very good idea and I will support this tournament. ^^
Topic Starter
Scheiby
Hi Daru,

how I already said: The first post was just a suggestion. Right in this moment I'm planning with my Co-Host the criteria for ranking. It give straight areas for points. So it's not subjective! Pls wait und trust me! ;)
Smashy
<----Co-Host xD

We have many plans for the criteria and we will post the ranking criteria in the next days here.^^
Wishy

Daru wrote:

To be fair, your first post was entirely negative, offered no advice to make the event work, and was unnecessarily combative. Your remaining posts have been giving advice in a condescending and pessimistic manner. Since you seem to be defending your posts rather than apologizing for unintentionally sounding like a dick and proceeding to help the OP in a lighter tone, you probably didn't realize you sounded like a dick.

You sounded like a dick.
I don't give a fuck about my tone, I still hold that this guy should drop this idea because not only it will be a miracle if it even starts but if it does it will probably end up like any generic random event ends. Hope it does not but from the looks it has...
Daru

Wishy wrote:

I don't give a fuck about my tone
Yeah, figured as much.
Wanted to give the benefit of the doubt that you cared in the slightest.
kriers
if the thread survives our pessimism then it might stand a chance.

Wishy is actually of help because a tournament can't exactly go well until people are convinced that it can.
See if you can up the level and convince the rest of us, Scheiby.
EpicFailure
Should hire Cookiezi to do some silly pro gameplays like his chipscape replay from a while back.
Topic Starter
Scheiby

kriers wrote:

if the thread survives our pessimism then it might stand a chance.

And if this thread and tournamend survives, you will be part of it as a player! Deal? :D

@All:

For now I can tell you, that the organisation goes well so far. My team works hard for an serious and professional tournament, even it's for fun. Because in this phase of planning, the tournament terms are an living object. So I don't want to tell any single detail, because it could be changed in future.

But I can soothe you about the big "how do you want to rate it?!"-question: We've found 4 rating criteria! 3 objective (with straight tables) and 1 subjective!
The last point will be judged from 3 Guys ---> 3 ratings ---> 1 average! That's fo fair as it gets in an "Show-tournament".
VoidnOwO

Scheiby wrote:

- If you want to play with mod: Only ONE mod is allowed!
Relax?
Topic Starter
Scheiby
Ah damn... Sorry for bad explaination... D:

Specially "Relax" won't be allowed in tournament.

You can choose between HR / HD / DT / FL / HT or EZ.

More details about rating with mods will come soon!
Tom94
If this ends up being done, then I'm in.
Tanzklaue

Pancake wrote:

If this ends up being done, then I'm in.
aaaaaaaaaaaand we have a winner.

unless somebody like cookiezi joins in.

which is why there probably should be at least some map regulations. because if someone like tom cursordances on maps like freedom dive, the rest of the competition might have problems to keep up. also if all people play the same map you can compare the performances better with each other.
winber1
EZ mod cursor dancing best
Topic Starter
Scheiby

Tanzklaue wrote:

aaaaaaaaaaaand we have a winner.

unless somebody like cookiezi joins in.

which is why there probably should be at least some map regulations. because if someone like tom cursordances on maps like freedom dive, the rest of the competition might have problems to keep up. also if all people play the same map you can compare the performances better with each other.

Aaaaaaaaaaand we have no winner! ;D (Even if I respect Pancake and I'm happy that he will join this tournament!)

Tanzklaue I understand your suspicion that some pro will win this tournament. Because you think about their skill and no beginner can beat that. That's true! But benguin (our great Co-Host) and me want to make a tournament for everybody. That's the most important point and it will never be changed!

That's why we've created some legit rating tables for all kind of players. More details will come soon, but let me give you just a little example:

You have 2 player: 1 pro and 1 no-pro. they play a similar map and have a similar result: the no-pro will win because he'll get much more points! easy to explain: an [Hard]-Beatmap is much easier for an top3000 player than someone over #50.000. So you have to rate "Player vs. Beatmap" and not "Player vs. Player" ;D

PS: Most of all pro's can't pass Freedom Dive [Four Dimensions] in an regular try. So I don't think we will see some dancing while diving! :-P
veniastcline
How about higher diff like Insane get more points? Well uh, this is just like a benefit for pros. ._.

I look forward for this, hope this would be done, I will just watch. xP
Topic Starter
Scheiby

veniastcline wrote:

How about higher diff like Insane get more points? Well uh, this is just like a benefit for pros. ._.
Sorry, I dont' think that I understand your question. ^^

If it is: Higher difficulty = More points? ---> That's right! (In comparison to the player's skill!)

If it's an other question, please explain it to me. ^^

But you can be sure there is no advantage for pro's! I promise!
Tom94

Scheiby wrote:

veniastcline wrote:

Sorry, I dont' think that I understand your question. ^^

If it is: Higher difficulty = More points? ---> That's right! (In comparison to the player's skill!)

If it's an other question, please explain it to me. ^^

But you can be sure there is no advantage for pro's! I promise!
And you will use pp rank to decide what is pro and what not? That means I could literally use a relatively new account, pretend I'm someone else and win this? I find the concept of making a competition that doesn't focus on the quality of the actual play highly questionable. Not even speaking about the high amount of subjectivity flowing into such a concept.

If you really want to pull it through like that I'd suggest making a voting which decides for the winner in the end.
Topic Starter
Scheiby
Ouch Tom... so many hard questions... xD

Pancake wrote:

And you will use pp rank to decide what is pro and what not? That means I could literally use a relatively new account, pretend I'm someone else and win this
I don't want to explain the decide concept now, because people could prepare on this to get a better result. But there will be a fair concept that take much time for the Tournament-team...
About new accounts and hidden pro's: The risk of cheaters are always present. Not only in tournaments. You could even log in to an account that is 3 years old. So I say honestly: I can't promise anything and I can do nothing against cheater... Sorry D:

Pancake wrote:

I find the concept of making a competition that doesn't focus on the quality of the actual play highly questionable. Not even speaking about the high amount of subjectivity flowing into such a concept.
The actual play will be the primary point for rating. There are no complete differences between a Top10 player and someone on rank #29.494. There are only little limits for balance.
This tournament is an show-tournament. Subjective rating is a point that we can't delete. We can only try to make it fair and this will happen.

Pancake wrote:

If you really want to pull it through like that I'd suggest making a voting which decides for the winner in the end.
You can find the answer in my first post:

Scheiby wrote:

- The jury pick out their favorites and the community can vote the winner.

-----------> OR: The jury pick out their favorites ---> they show their skills on a livestream and the community can vote afterwards!

@ALL: VERY IMPORTANT!

Save your time and don't prepare a video for this event! Wait until this tournament starts officially to see all finished rules and terms!
If you do the opposite, remember: I've told ya! :-P

See you soon!
Scheiby
Flanster
Locked on request.