forum

Combo Graph

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +333
Topic Starter
Diceycle
What is this?
What I imagine when i use the term combo graph is a graph that displays the combo simular to the HP at the end of a song or in a replay. The graph would rise the more combo you get and fall back to zero the moment you break looking somewhat like the graph in taiko.

Why do we need this?
Well I can't speak for everyone here of course but for my part im interested how my scores come about and especially on long maps knowing the max combo alone doesnt help a thing, since one probably has a couple combos of this length. So a graph showing all combos would be helpful to estimate how good a paticular play really was.

Is there even enough space in the result screen?
While thinking about this i thought of a system to make the user able to switch between different graphs like switching tabs in your browser.

That would be my request. Hope you like the idea.
Aoko
It's kind of interesting, but why are you interested in adding this if there is already a xx combo written to determine your amount of combos or the max?
(Sorry if I don't really get it D: )
MMzz
Interesting. Support from me.
Topic Starter
Diceycle
It's kind of interesting, but why are you interested in adding this if there is already a xx combo written to determine your amount of combos or the max?
The problem is you can only see your max combo if you dont want to watch the whole replay. But what if you have, say one combo of 254 and another of 230? The result screen would only show that you had a 254x combo eventhough you had another cobmo that came really close to that.
With a graph you could see all the combos you had.
Mira-san
Sounds good.

Could use tabs similar to the ones to Team Vs or something.

+support (w/o stars)
zinckingeye
support+++
NeverGod
support ++

Indeed a very good idea. I'd love to see this implemented.
Aoko

Diceycle wrote:

The problem is you can only see your max combo if you dont want to watch the whole replay. But what if you have, say one combo of 254 and another of 230? The result screen would only show that you had a 254x combo eventhough you had another cobmo that came really close to that.
With a graph you could see all the combos you had.
Ohhh. Now I get it. Support :33
-GN
Bumping this for support's sake.

I very recently came across this type of line used in some IIDX simulator I don't know the name of. :idea:
I thought this would be a very nice addition to osu! in this modern day and age, since it's quite relevant to both the score system we use, as well as our main ranking metric. It'd provide some very useful feedback when discerning score differences between plays that seem similar at first glance(and it'd also look funny on certain plays/maps with high drain). It shouldn't be hard to implement.

A picture from the result screen of the abovementioned simulator:

Stepmania shows something similar at the results screen, but it's a bit less interesting:

I've asked a couple people and they seem to think it's interesting.
Shiro
I'd rather have an accuracy graph or a hit error graph.
-GN
that's also a useful idea. i know the latter already existed in a private build of the game used by woc2006, so why not make that public? however, i think that the combo graph would be more relevant to the current meta and would go very well with the performance graph already in place, so it seems more convenient - to me, at least.

but yeah, statistics are nice. we could use some more of it, in my opinion.
Topic Starter
Diceycle
Wow im happy this is getting some love again.

-GN wrote:

but yeah, statistics are nice. we could use some more of it, in my opinion.
My thoughts exactly. The Combo Graph was merely the idea that seemed most helpful to me at my skill level.
But data is easily gathered so why not provide a bunch of different graphs that you can access via tabs in the result screen for example.
Combo for the medium skilled, Accuracy for the higher ranked and why not Cursor Speed while were at it.

Over time it might even help judge the difficulty of the beatmap and enable people to see where the most difficult parts in a beatmap are.
i think this should be added ^^
VeilStar

Diceycle wrote:

Is there even enough space in the result screen?
While thinking about this i thought of a system to make the user able to switch between different graphs like switching tabs in your browser.
This actually got me to think...
If this ever gets implemented, you might aswell split it into the following tabs;
HP - The current graph.
UR - Unstable rate graph, with the middle being perfect hits, and the highest point on the graph being the earliest hit out of all hits, and the lowest being the latest point of all hits. (Kind of like a waveform is structured.)
SP - Spinner graph that shows the RPM you spun at at what time, with both a 'text' and 'graph' UR of it.
CB - Combo graph, which you described in this Feature Request originally.

All in all, I think it would be nice to have. I like the idea. I'm out of stars though.
abraker
Osu!Stats: Graphs, graphs and more graphs!

Ok let's disect this:

VeilStar wrote:

UR - Unstable rate graph, with the middle being perfect hits, and the highest point on the graph being the earliest hit out of all hits, and the lowest being the latest point of all hits. (Kind of like a waveform is structured.)
I approve.
EDIT: Let me drop this here: t/87536

VeilStar wrote:

SP - Spinner graph that shows the RPM you spun at at what time, with both a 'text' and 'graph' UR of it.
I think max RPM is enough.

And the combo graph. Let's think how that will look like: A reapeating zig zaggy triangle that drops to 0 if you miss. I think a combo graph isn't really needed, but a better way to show that stat would be to put points on the current graph indicating where you missed and make it so if you hover over it, it would show the combo achieved before the said miss. Something like this:
Topic Starter
Diceycle

abraker wrote:

And the combo graph. Let's think how that will look like: A reapeating zig zaggy triangle that drops to 0 if you miss. I think a combo graph isn't really needed, but a better way to show that stat would be to put points on the current graph indicating where you missed and make it so if you hover over it, it would show the combo achieved before the said miss. Something like this:
Thats a great idea. It reduces the load on the interface and is a lot more readable
VeilStar

abraker wrote:

<stuff>
Well, without going too offtopic nor turning this into a whole different feature request...
I quickly made a draft of what I imagine each one to look like.
abraker
Veilstar, I don't know if you saw my edit
abraker
I want to bump, but I don't want to double post either... what to do, what to do?
Seijiro
Intriguing.

As for the graph itself, I saw Veil's proposal which seems a bit off: imo the graph should take the range of 0-max combo as lower/upper limits of the graph, for the rest everything seems cool
FathomAssembly
I'd like to support but I'm not an osu!supporter :s

Bump anyway !
-GN
i made a very recent simple mockup which i think would be a good, (excessively?)simple way to implement it.

i really think this should get more attention - it's such a nice touch to the scorescreen, i really want to see it done.

e: improved mockup
abraker
Maybe add tabs to the graph to change between view?
-GN

abraker wrote:

Maybe add tabs to the graph to change between view?
i think that would be needlessly complicated - my vision of it was just a simple extra graph overlayed in the window already there. it shouldn't really cause extra clutter except in certain edge cases, and what they represent should be pretty obvious.
unko
wouldn't it look kinda poopy if they overlapped

maybe not :x