forum

E3 2009

posted
Total Posts
show more
lukewarmholiday
In other news Activision Blizzard sucks shit.
LuigiHann
Monkey Island is back!
LucasArts, as rumored, are making an HD version of the original game, with hand-drawn 2D graphics and full voice-overs (starring at least the same voice for Guybrush as the last couple games)

Check out the video here: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

Perhaps more interestingly, Telltale Games (who made the new Sam & Max series, the Strong Bad games, and the current Wallace and Gromit games) are making a new Monkey Island series as well! (Also starring the real Guybrush voice!)

More info here: http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland The trailer there isn’t too good, but the concept art is nice, and the “Team” page has some impressive credentials on it. Ron Gilbert was also consulted.

Finally, on a not-exciting-pirate-news note, the Beatles: Rock Band trailer looks great. Seems like a lot of song-specific effects are going into it, which is great.
Beatles: Rock Band trailer: http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/trailer.php
Topic Starter
Loginer

Looks like it's being made by Valve, after all.
Edit: High-quality trailer here.
Neo@lex
I knew it was by valve the moment I saw the "fuck you" hand in the trailer. Microsoft would have had it do the peace sign.
adam2046
Crackdown 2 aparrently?

Anyway if they fix the things that were awful in the first game I'd buy it.
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
If MGS:R is a 360 exclusive I'm gonna have to borrow a 360.
xerxes_oli
isnt square enix gonna anounce anything?
Soaprman
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
adam2046
Didn't you hear?
It was made DSiWare exclusive.
eee
K2J
awp
Topic Starter
Loginer

K2J wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Microsoft
  1. Metroidvania being developed by Epic called Shadow Complex.
You had me there for a moment; I thought there was actually a game called that.

(Also, this should probably be in Other Games, rigiht?)
Learn to read. Also, E3 is not a game.
LuigiHann

Loginer wrote:

Also, E3 is not a game.
It's about games, though.
Topic Starter
Loginer

Joystiq wrote:

Not interested in being friends with an 8-year-old boy? Molyneux said there will also be a "Millie" – a female equivalent. Whichever gender you choose, Milo (or Millie!) will form a relationship with you and, if you so choose, other members of your family.
Oh dear.
K2J
Neo@lex
RemmyX25
Seriously, im prolly going to save the log of our discussion of the Nintendo Conference.

But yea. Prolly writing about it tonight.
K2J
OK, I’ve calmed down now and had a bit to process this. My impressions:

It started out pretty good – unfortunately, my Internet died for the entirety of the NSMB run, so I wasn’t able to get to see that. Of course, this means I went into the rest of the presser pretty pissed. It sounds like a nice diversion, but it seems like it would be better-suited to the DS. From what I’ve been able to piece together, it’s Mario’s take on Four Swords.

WiiFit Plus wasn’t too bad. I noticed they dropped a Mario hint here, probably to foreshadow the SMG sequel at the end. The distancing of the balance board from the Wii platform as I whole was a bad move; just last year, you were praising its use as a snowboard and drum kit. Reducing it to be only used for exercise games seems against that message to me.

All right, MotionPlus, the add-on that’s allegedly going to make the Wii function like we all thought it would ever since that fateful TGS presser. Oh wow, this trailer looks trippy; it’ll probably contain all sorts of games Nintendo and its partners are working on!

Oh, it’s just WiiSports Resort. The skydiving activity is puzzling – wouldn’t you want to be the skydiver, instead of just acting like you’re holding him? Maybe it’s the Japanese paranoia of first-person perspectives, I dunno. This whole section of the presser seemed long and drawn-out; this is the game we saw the most of last year, so shouldn’t we be focusing on new things? Just the trailer would’ve probably been enough…

Wait, that was it? That’s all the first party stuff you’re going to show about MotionPlus? I mean, sure, the third party stuff is exciting, but this is your conference. Do something. I think I understand why the WiiSports Resort took up so much of the time – it’s because you wanted to show off MotionPlus, but didn’t have anything new to bring with it!

Let’s see, RPGs. I guess SquareEnix fans are giddy… the M&L trailer looks pretty cool, too, though it’s a bit of an awkward subtitle.

Golden Sun DS... I think this is good news, but the trailer was short, and jittery. I never played the original two, but I think a hand-drawn look would’ve worked better here instead of a textured one, since the DS tends to be pretty bad at them.

This next section is what started my blood boiling. Seriously, who says, “I enjoy mystery novels so much that I’m willing to buy a DS just for this interactive novel”? It made my stomach turn. Cop: The Recruit looks OK, probably put in the middle of the three third party games to encourage people like me to keep watching. Of course, this is instantly negated by a freaking dress-up simulator. Seriously, when we’ve gotten to the point when Barbie-esque games make Nintendo’s prime third-party list, you know things are bad.

Cammie at this point tries to differentiate the DSi and the Lite (the original DS? Pfft). She seems to say that people can choose which of the two is right for them, but insists that this is a matter of customization – a feature, of course, that only the DSi can perform.

The flip-book looks… OK, as a diversion. I’d really like to get my hands on that WarioWare DIY game, though, if only there were some other encouragement to get a DSi. Cammie flubs a bit here – she mentions that the new Mario vs. DK game will be unlike any other, because it includes a level-builder that trades online. Which is false, since the second game did just that, and it looks like this download is just a lite version of it.

Facebook, meh.

Well, they managed to put the company goal rant into the later portions of the show this time, not the start, and coming out of the mouth of someone with an accent to make us even less interested. I understand the want to create games that appeal to both of these very stereotyped groups, but perhaps, Iwata, you have brought your own prejudice to the table? People who haven’t played video games do need an intuitive interface, to be sure, but they also need a good game, not some minigame collections that wear thin. They’re not babies; give them some meat to chew on. (At this point, I was almost sure he was going to announce a new gameplay feature reflecting the infamous “plays itself” patent Miyamoto filed).

OK, so new control! Awesome! And it’s… a Vitality Sensor?! What? So the game can sense when you’re NERVOUS?! What? At least show a game or tech demo or SOMETHING to back that up!

Super Mario Galaxy 2. OK, cool – not as big a deal as a lot of people are saying, though. It looks more like a bunch of extra levels to Galaxy – an expansion pack, with Yoshi. I’ll never understand why people like him so much. Galaxy was a very linear and underwhelming game to me, though it still felt pretty magical. I’m wondering if this game will go beyond that a bit, but probably not… Also, the name sucks, make it something like Super Mario Galaxy: Yoshi’s Tales. Or something.

Hmm, so, we’re at the hour mark. I guess SMG2 was the big game – the conference felt pretty underwhelming. Looks like Reggie’s attempting to dissuade us by saying that the third parties are supposed to stand up and fill the gamer’s market. Uh, Nintendo, you don’t happen to realize why third party games tend to suck on your systems, right? It’s because, if we wanted third party games, we’d go to systems that have decent online play, decent graphics, and suitable controls. Nothing you’re showing – not The Conduit, even – reflects something that is exclusive to Wii.

Oh, wait, there we go. I’ve never been a Metroid fan, but this might be a good entry point. I can say I got excited, definitely, but mostly because I’ve been waiting for a new 2D Metroid game to jump into the franchise.

It was interesting how Cammie started out the conference talking about how videogames compared to other media, because the conference in general didn’t feel like that at all. Over the course of the presser, it looked like they were marketing a toy, not a form of media or artistic expression. Games like Portal push the envelope of what games can be, where Nintendo is still stuck with the interface, not the message. MotionPlus is great, guys, but what good is it if all it’s going to bring is more minigame collections?

TL;DR version. Nintendo’s conference was very polar. Not bipolar, just polar. You should’ve at least scattered the hardcore games around the conference, not placing your two big hitters at the end in a row. The focus on Mario is also a bit disconcerting. Overall, this conference was leagues better than last year’s, but only because of the final 10 minutes. And even then I’m not very impressed with your “innovation”.
Saturos
awp
K2J
There can be exceptions, of course. None that were presented during that particular segment of the show, however - they all could've easily been seen on other consoles, for what was presented in the trailers. The Conduit looks promising, though, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Also, I never claimed to be an indie gamer.

EDIT:

lukewarmholiday
MegaManEXE
GOLDEN SUN DS GOTY 2010

This year's conference was so much better than last year's for Nintendo it isn't even funny. Not as good as some of their previous ones but still good enough imo. Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't really interest me but I know it's a big deal for a lot of people. No More Heroes 2/Metroid/NSMB Wii were cool though; I was hoping to see more Zelda: Trains Edition but I guess they didn't show it. Too much casual crap though, more Wii minigame collaborations and Facebook on DS, does anyone really give a shit? Wii Vitality Sensor? Really Nintendo?

Was really hoping for Pikmin 3 or new Kirby or Pokemon Wii game though D:

Also lol @ Squenix

FINAL FANTASY 14 EXCLUSIVE FOR PS3

*Sony fanboys cheer*

o btw it's an mmorpg

*D: D: D:*

Quality trolling right there.
LuigiHann

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Also the new Metroid is being developed by the Ninja gaiden and Dead or Alive team, and will swap between 2D and 3D.
Did they confirm that? I saw the trailer swapping between first-person and third-person, but the third-person stuff still looked like free-roam 3D (and awesome)
MegaManEXE

LuigiHann wrote:

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Also the new Metroid is being developed by the Ninja gaiden and Dead or Alive team, and will swap between 2D and 3D.
Did they confirm that? I saw the trailer swapping between first-person and third-person, but the third-person stuff still looked like free-roam 3D (and awesome)
I'm pretty sure that's the 3D they meant, I don't think it's going to be 3D Metroid Prime style.

Game looks pretty cool, I just watched the trailer.

Edit:

OH MY GOD
http://twitter.com/majornelson/status/2008690137

1080P 60 FPS PERFECT DARK ON XBLA
K2J
Zelda Wii re-confirmed. Unfortunately, no pictures of the logo Miyamoto presented during the liveblog (they didn't allow pics or vids).

Kotaku wrote:

8:03 He did bring the main illustration foe next zelda title
8:04 It shows link and a female in blue in a robe. It's a painting. He wants to annonce it next year. And I should be motion plus compatible. Maybe only wii motion plus
8:04 It depends on how well motion plus does
8:05 He would love to bring in he sword play and archery
8:05 But he wants to make sure everyone can enjoy the game
8:07 The painting for the new zelda had link standing with his back to us his head turned so we could see his face.

IGN wrote:

Shows new illustration for the next Zelda for Wii. Nothing to show yet, but it shows an adult link. More grown up than ever before.

Joystiq wrote:

The "announcement" included artwork – we weren't allowed to take pictures of (sorry!) – which was Twilight Princess-esque, featuring Link and a female Zora character.
OMG FLOOD GAME CONFIRMED GUYZ

Also,

IGN wrote:

Wii is already being overpowered by what's happening on screen in New Super Mario Bros Wii. So no power left for online.
A co-op 2.5D platformer is too energy-intensive to be online? I mean, not like I was expecting online, but to cite the system's weakness that bluntly...
Tapdancingmetroid
Nintendo's E3 press page
User: E32009
Pass: nintendo
:3
Starrodkirby86
YellowerYoshi
Wow, Golden Sun DS. I can't wait for that one, the first two games were amazingness.
Saturos
Neo@lex
K2J
Heh, take a look at this (use passwords as above): full concept art of the Zelda game Miyamoto was talking about.

Original size.

Caption included in .zip wrote:

Legendary Nintendo video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto revealed this concept artwork for a new Legend of Zelda game planned for the Wii console on June 2 during the E3 Expo in Los Angeles.
Blue shield looks prominent, from this angle we can't see the sword (if he's even holding one - oh, and he's right handed), girl has been speculated to be a number of things, such as a TP-era Zora, a Wind Waker fairy, and a sentient Master Sword.