FC
51.05%
Pass
48.95%
Total votes: 143
show more
XPJ38

PikaPika677 wrote:

Being able to keep up an FC (at least for me) is a test of skill.
True that. And this is the only thing that matters in tournaments like OWC.
Wishy
OWC is about not being able to do the "retry 5000 times and get that awesome score you will only get once every 3000 plays".
silmarilen

Wishy wrote:

Everyone is consistent, you are just consistent on your level, and when you push your limits you get random misses.
so my level isnt even on hards?
jesse1412

silmarilen wrote:

Wishy wrote:

Everyone is consistent, you are just consistent on your level, and when you push your limits you get random misses.
Yes you're shit.

I missed on an easy map once, I lost 4000pp.
Wishy

silmarilen wrote:

Wishy wrote:

If you can't consistenly FC hards...
silmarilen
mhh.. so i can fc maps like ridorii and wahrheit (stupid 1x miss at 1295 combo) with high acc, but because i sometimes get random misses on hards i am bad

ok
Tanzklaue
rrtyui worst player

needs to retry.

obviously bad player.

silmarilen wrote:

mhh.. so i can fc maps like ridorii and wahrheit (stupid 1x miss at 1295 combo) with high acc, but because i sometimes get random misses on hards i am bad

ok
exactly, learn to play scrub.
xsrsbsns

Aqo wrote:

For people who play maps on their level and not ten levels below, FC equals luck.
"FC-ing a map you can barely FC" vs "passing a map you can barely pass"
Notice the word 'barely', going by your FC luck logic (which isn't false) luck plays the exact role under both circumstances.
Tanzklaue

xsrsbsns wrote:

Aqo wrote:

For people who play maps on their level and not ten levels below, FC equals luck.
"FC-ing a map you can barely FC" vs "passing a map you can barely pass"
Notice the word 'barely', going by your FC luck logic (which isn't false) luck plays the exact role under both circumstances.
I'd say the only case in which luck plays a major role is if you fc a map you can barely pass.
GoldenWolf

Tanzklaue wrote:

I'd say the only case in which luck plays a major role is if you fc a map you can barely pass.
And I love doing that, feels so good : D
xsrsbsns
Not sure what you meant, but I just wanted to remind people about the associations they have made in this thread regarding [passing, FC-ing, retrying, luck] when OP used the word 'barely' which actually implies you somehow got "lucky" for both cases.
Wishy

silmarilen wrote:

ok
It means your average play is bad. Being able to FC Ridorii or Wahrheit isn't exactly a huge achievement btw...

And yeah, rrtyui keeps pushing his limits playing stuff he can barely do, that's how you get good. Yet he can easily FC stuff that's insane for most of us, therefore he is really good. Meanwhile Cookiezi can easily do some stuff rrtyui has to retry lots of times to (Big Black FC 30 plays vs 2000, remember?).

The more retries you need to use to get some score the worse you are. Just like Cookiezi can do X map in 3 plays, then rrtyui in 30, Niko in 40, then you might need hundreds if not thousands of plays to do it. Being good = less effort to get hard scores. Of course, you can have a lucky play and first play FC some very hard map, yet if it was luck you are not likely to get the FC the next play, if you really got it out of skill you'd be able to retry just for acc. There is a reason why in OWC many "great players" did so bad and some other not "super pro" players did great.
Thatgooey

Wishy wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

ok
It means your average play is bad. Being able to FC Ridorii or Wahrheit isn't exactly a huge achievement btw...

And yeah, rrtyui keeps pushing his limits playing stuff he can barely do, that's how you get good. Yet he can easily FC stuff that's insane for most of us, therefore he is really good. Meanwhile Cookiezi can easily do some stuff rrtyui has to retry lots of times to (Big Black FC 30 plays vs 2000, remember?).

The more retries you need to use to get some score the worse you are. Just like Cookiezi can do X map in 3 plays, then rrtyui in 30, Niko in 40, then you might need hundreds if not thousands of plays to do it. Being good = less effort to get hard scores. Of course, you can have a lucky play and first play FC some very hard map, yet if it was luck you are not likely to get the FC the next play, if you really got it out of skill you'd be able to retry just for acc. There is a reason why in OWC many "great players" did so bad and some other not "super pro" players did great.
Achievements are relative, and are what you make them. This is a single player game. You are playing against a pre-programmed computer sequence that never changes and is exactly the same every time. That's it. Everyone likes to compare and talk about this player vs that player, when in the end, that is impossible. There is zero player vs player element in osu. It is 100% always every time player vs CPU. People spend so much time worrying about others, when the only player in the game is them. If it is a big achievement to someone that they beat warheit, then god damnit that is a big achievement.
Wishy
If you want to compare against others it is not, you can be proud that you could almost FC something, then again if it's a map that every decent player can FC w/o much effort then it's not. When you try to get top scores you are playing against other people, even when it's completely retry based there is still a lot of skill involved, and if you are able to beat the very best scores that only the best players can somehow achieve then you are good, and achieving that is huge. You can consider it amazing that you got to a point where you could do something you never thought you would, been there, still if you really want to say "I'm good because I can do X", nope, you might aswell consider yourself good, yet on average you are not even close to that.

It is as you say, this game is single player and the closest thing to PvP you have is multiplayer, since there you play in real time. Sadly the only other system you got is scoreboards and that's where you can "cheat" by retrying a lot to get some score you are not really good enough to get (like retry 50 times to beat Cookiezi's first play).
Moonpower
This thread was about fun. You guys are way too serious for fun :(
RaneFire

Moonpower wrote:

This thread was about fun. You guys are way too serious for fun :(
My thoughts exactly. I don't know why they are discussing what defines good.
silmarilen
thats what happens in pretty much every topic in G&R
Wishy
Yeah let's just delete all our posts and leave this thread filled with posts that are pretty much:

"I like to FC xDDDDD hard maps are hard."

"Pass, FC is boring :(((."

If you are not interested in the discussion you can just vote, post and move on.
quaternary
Pass, then work on fc if I like the map.

I never go for SS though, because my acc sucks :oops:
I should do something about that
Kyujuroku 96
FC. I can't compete, so I try to FC most maps with at least a S
Rokk
Depends on the map and difficulty, but mostly passing. If it's a particularly hard map I've been struggling with for quite some time, and I finally pass it, that's the best feeling in the world.
Zalaria
It would have to be passing for me. Trying for a full combo would lead to me raging >.<
kisata
Pass songs I can barely play. I'm not very good in the first place + it's immensely frustrating to play through 90% of the song then miss a note (or sliderbreak). Even when it does happen it doesn't feel that great because I get so nervous during songs I almost have a heart attack even when I do get that FC.
Thatgooey
I swear the X amount of retries reflects skill thing comes up in every single god damn thread about full combo. I thought about it yesterday, and I think I have a way to explain this to people.

Osu is the sporting world equivalent of Golf. Golf courses are like maps for osu. And just like in osu, at the end of the day, every single score ever recorded is a single player score. You compare single player course records all you like, but there is just you and your golf clubs trying to get the ball in the hole every single time. You can play in a tournament with other players, but it is still just you versus the same golf course. Some players spend years playing the same course, learning the ins and outs of it, while others just like the experience of playing through it once and admiring all that it has to offer. Some people like the grind, chasing that minimal shot score, while others just love the scenery that you pass through on the way to the next tee and the unique layout. Some people take years to master a certain course, while others may take only a weekend. At the end of the day, two players can shoot a ludicrously good 65, and it is an impressive feat. But every now and then, a phenom comes along. Someone like Tiger Woods, who everyone knows (even if you have never watched golf in your life, you probably have heard of Tiger Woods). In his prime, it was expected that if he was playing, there was a good chance that he was going to win. Every. Single. Time. Not just certain courses, not just certain tournaments, or in fair weather conditions only, but EVERYTHING. Every now and then a Cookiezi comes along, and everyone knows that at any given time, he is capable of taking a top score on any map. Flashlight, Hardrock, DT, Nomod, doesn't matter. He is the Tiger Woods of Osu. I don't even like golf, and rarely watch it. But when I do, it's because Tiger Woods is in a play off with some guy, or he is making his career comeback, and for some weird reason, I have to watch it. I don't know why. It's just that he is Tiger fucking Woods, and someone like him only comes around once. That one guy who you just have to see for yourself to believe, even if you don't know anything about him. You just get drawn into it.

Not everyone is Tiger Woods in the golf world, and there are only enough to count on one hand like him in the history of the sport that have accomplished similar things to what he has. Osu is no different, and talent like that should of course be recognized. Everyone knows he is hands down the absolute best player. He has that magnetic player persona, and nobody else will ever have it. It happens in every sport. It is natural. People will always want to find that "one guy". There are of course people capable of doing things like him, but they will never be him. Nobody will ever have their charm. Nobody will ever be like Cookiezi. Not now, not ever. Great players like rrtyui, ww, niko, all whom have shown great skill equal to, or sometimes better than that of Cookiezi, will never be on his level in osu culture. When rumor of him coming back to play OWC last year came true, and he logged on and started playing again, I felt that same thing I felt when I turned on ESPN to watch Tiger Woods play golf. He is fucking Cookiezi, man. Can't explain it. Only one of him will ever come along and play this game. Some may disagree, and that's fine, but this is the feeling I get from it on a human level. What my emotions tell me about this. It's okay to be 100% mathematically objective and derive formulas to define greatness, but sometimes you just have to step back and say "this guy. this guy is different from all of the others".
RaneFire

Thatgooey wrote:

True. The 1k+ spectators upon his return was testament to this.

That being said, everyone has grinded something. No exceptions. Somewhere down along the road however, you may not need to grind anymore, and that's when people start looking back at others and saying "you grind, you noob."
[Maid] NekoRyo
First i will start with pass then someday i will FC the song :3
but passing hard song is already satisfied for me c: because some song that i want to FC just seem impossible~ so pass is already good :3
but if i want to FC i will FC it xD
Zare
It doesn't matter to me.
Everytime I achieve something, my brain will go like "Wow, finally, this was easy, you should have done this months earlier, you dumbfk"
So yeah.
yoyomster
Passing a map i couldn't pass before is fun, but FC'ing a map I coudn't FC before is also fun.
However, passing a map is more gratifying.
Guru
pass a map :3
when i was only playing easy and normal -> FC
but now i'm trying to play hard then pass is good enough
Wylo
SS on FC'able maps.