forum

Smart Collections

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +88
Topic Starter
benguin
Often times one would notice that within any given collection, all the maps have some type of trait in common. Some of these traits are subjective ones as in "this is a collection of maps I like to play." Some are not so subjective such as "this is a collection of Hatsune miku songs over 5 minutes that I have yet to S rank." Sometimes its a pain in the butt to try to keep up and keep your collections organized. This can't be helped for collections solely based on subjective factors. But we can do something about one's based on objective qualities! This is where smart collections come in. Instead of adding maps to smart collections, the user would set up pre-defined criteria. And every time osu starts or when a new map is added, it'll automatically update itself seamlessly, adding maps to itself that meet such a criteria. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
A quick mock up of how it could look like (I only have one part done. You can imagine the rest or perhaps I'll work on it later).

Anyways, a brief run-down:
-Top Left: You have your tabs. One for criteria, another for other options concerning the collection.
-Top Right: Collection name, click the pencil thingy to change the name
-Everything else: This works like a drag and drop interface. You drag elements in the right column and put them into place in the big left one to set up your criteria.
-Operators: These are your conjunction based logical operators. Use them to connect the relationships between two or more conditions.
-Grouping: These are like your parentheses. In the big left column, you see a red grouping so the and operator gets applied to the single condition above it and the entire grouping below it. You can have nested groupings (like nested parentheses). To make it easy to follow, the most outer groupings will always be red and it'll work it's way down the rainbow for more inner levels of grouping. I doubt anyone will need more than 7 levels of grouping so we can set that to the max level of grouping.
-Conditions: This is the meat of your criteria. Find the category of the condition in the list of conditions. Then drag it out into the main left space. It'll expand into a more descriptive version of what you saw with drop-down lists, text boxes, etc to enter in the specifics of what you want.
deadbeat
personally speaking, i wouldn't use it
TheVileOne
Great idea! I fully support and would donate stars if I had any to give.
jemhuntr
Idea is fine, but could you give samples of such criteria?
boat
You can already filter through bpm, lenght, artists and title.

Personally I see little reason to clutter up your collections with this as it's perfectly accessible as of now.
Topic Starter
benguin
Thanks for your support! I have a lot of other ideas as well that could make Smart Collections work to their full potential, I just didn't want to scare the away the people who wouldconsider implementing such an idea. But anyways, I'm hoping that once we get a prototype up and runningz we can start trying adding other functionality to them, such as the possibility to automatically download and add maps to a collection that meet the criteria that the user hasn't downloaded yet (a feature for supporter of course). Why go out looking for maps when you can tell them to come to you? :)

Edit: examples of criteria are going to have to wait until I have access to a laptop, sorry Dx
TheVileOne
Vocaloid, genres, specific ranked date ranges, not submitted maps, pending maps, insert artist here maps. I would like to have sub collections too, which this would allow. i would want to include vocaloid songs within a certain date range or BPM to be added to a collection. It would make mass allocating songs into collections a breeze.
Luna
Give me the option to automatically filter 1x100 maps into a collection and I'll be happy :P
Topic Starter
benguin
A quick mock up of how it could look like (I only have one part done. You can imagine the rest or perhaps I'll work on it later).

Anyways, a brief run-down:
-Top Left: You have your tabs. One for criteria, another for other options concerning the collection.
-Top Right: Collection name, click the pencil thingy to change the name
-Everything else: This works like a drag and drop interface. You drag elements in the right column and put them into place in the big left one to set up your criteria.
-Operators: These are your conjunction based logical operators. Use them to connect the relationships between two or more conditions.
-Grouping: These are like your parentheses. In the big left column, you see a red grouping so the and operator gets applied to the single condition above it and the entire grouping below it. You can have nested groupings (like nested parentheses). To make it easy to follow, the most outer groupings will always be red and it'll work it's way down the rainbow for more inner levels of grouping. I doubt anyone will need more than 7 levels of grouping so we can set that to the max level of grouping.
-Conditions: This is the meat of your criteria. Find the category of the condition in the list of conditions. Then drag it out into the main left space. It'll expand into a more descriptive version of what you saw with drop-down lists, text boxes, etc to enter in the specifics of what you want.
Oinari-sama
I am neutral towards this, as I'm never a fan for these "management" features that forces me to use a software in a certain way (eg iTune).

There needs to be an option to turn off this feature if it's to be implemented.
Topic Starter
benguin
Its simple. Smart collections are just like any other collections in the sense that if you don't want them, then don't make them. They're not going to get rid of regular collections.
jemhuntr
looking at the edited image:
WE NEED THIS FEATURE

the image was enough to impress me. I don't have to read the blocks of text. add it to the OP
-----
Like your idea. If I'm understanding correctly you want to have a new window for specific searching, sort of like the search panel page we have on the web right now.

But I would rather see developers to focus on expending the existing functionality we have currently (adding more filters/improving search behavior)first, since it seems most of your ideas can be addressed that way without bringing a new window.
theowest
cool concept, this might work even better if there's a better difficulty rating system around. e.g. add all AR8 + 7 star difficulty (doubletime collection).

Alternative: t/123169 better search so what you're looking for is easier to find and then let you pick whatever you want in your collection.
Topic Starter
benguin
At -----: Not exactly. At it's most basic smart collections are saved searches, a collection of songs that follow a specific search and filter criteria. If my idea can also be expanded to improve the search/filter as well, then go ahead (the interface for something like an "advanced search" could look similar). But this idea is more so about having collections manage themselves. With additional functionality, such as automatically downloading or suggesting new songs that would fit the smart collection's criteria, it would make not only management but downloading new songs that fit your needs a seamless process as well (of course I can't expect this feature in the early stages of such a huge undertaking).

Also, gonna add that pic to the OP. Might work on another mock-up of the other tab when I have time. Thanks for the moral support jemhunter c:
-----

benguin wrote:

At -----: Not exactly. At it's most basic smart collections are saved searches, a collection of songs that follow a specific search and filter criteria. If my idea can also be expanded to improve the search/filter as well, then go ahead (the interface for something like an "advanced search" could look similar).
I did look at the picture, and I agree it's a more visualized and more intuitive solution than those general search engines with an advanced search interface, which is definitely good.

benguin wrote:

But this idea is more so about having collections manage themselves. With additional functionality, such as automatically downloading or suggesting new songs that would fit the smart collection's criteria, it would make not only management but downloading new songs that fit your needs a seamless process as well (of course I can't expect this feature in the early stages of such a huge undertaking).
I'm more concerned about that you seemed to be all about throwing thing against the new window and see if they work, instead of just better integrate them.

Anyway, I was having fun toying your ideas (and adding my ones as well), and I would have absolute no problem if they are something more along the line of this:
  1. Replace the beatmap download manager screen ingame (osu!direct) to a multi-purpose searching/beatmaps/download management tool.
  2. Different tabs on top, with names of "Favorite", "Download" and "Search".
  3. The "Search" tab is generally where you're going to "Advance Search" the maps you are having on your PC as well as ones you don't have(supporter only). Click on a beatmap of the result list to bring up the action list (add to your collection), and an option to import your searching setting to "Favorite" tab, enable suggestion drop-down list....etc.
  4. The "Download" tab (only available for supporter), now only shows the progress of your current downloads. the searching portion is then moved to the "Search" tab.
  5. The "Favorite" tab host both your searching histories and your collections. You can browse the songs of your collection or history and you will jump right to the song list screen if you click on a beatmap. And a remove button to remove a map from your collection list.
  6. <insert ideas here>
How do you think of that? And I don't need to add a single screen overlay to pull them off.
Topic Starter
benguin
That actually sounds pretty nifty. However, at least for me personally, I'd like these "saved advanced searches" to be treated as if they were collections where you can still add or remove maps from them (perhaps something in the form of an "exceptions" list for added and removed maps in the criteria section that can be managed but the act of adding/deleting would be the same as if it was any other collection.)
Bariton
nyan supp~

2 stars ~~

:333333
Topic Starter
benguin
yay! <3
-----

benguin wrote:

That actually sounds pretty nifty. However, at least for me personally, I'd like these "saved advanced searches" to be treated as if they were collections where you can still add or remove maps from them (perhaps something in the form of an "exceptions" list for added and removed maps in the criteria section that can be managed but the act of adding/deleting would be the same as if it was any other collection.)
Um, you have a point.
I already used up my stars, so I'll just give you a morale support :3
DJKero
Support, Just add the possibility to make Mania-Only nK Collections, also Taiko-Only Collections, etc.
ieb
Great idea but i have no stars now XD
TheVileOne
BUMPing this back up.

I really want this feature. I would like to have collections based on what gamemode I've used in my personal best. I could then check the collection to see if it is playable with that gamemode in multiplayer. I would use this to make collections for a lot of things.

Edit: I would be willing to create a lookup system for the game. It seems like the system is very complicated though. It might be way over my head.
- M a o n -
It will need many different conditions to be useful for most people, but it's still a good idea.

Ideas of other conditions:
# of 100's/50's/Misses
Range of rank (Above 50/Less than 1000/Between 100 and 500/etc.)
Full Combo
Not Full Combo (Can exclude maps with no misses)
AR/OD/HP/CS