forum

Pen gripping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
So im a pretty decent osu player and i use a Wacom Bamboo Splash and whenever i play and i and moving the pen around a lot the pen seems to change from what i originally started the map with, and then i have to ajust to the w/e its kinda changed to and it sometimes screws up my games. just wondering if theres anything that could help me. maybe put something on the pen so i can grip it easier?
Thanks in advance!
Aquamarine
Grips are highly complex; except people don't know it because it's useless info. Movement on a pen can be done using your wrist or arm or both. I assume most full tablet players use both. Anyways, using your wrist only will not move your hand and opposite for arm (even if it's a very micro-slight movement). I don't think I answered your question.
theowest
here you can view player holding their pens and maybe take inspiration from them t/95481
I'd recommend holding it more upright (~80 degrees), personally I aim much better that way and I think others will too.
Souko
I just grip it however it feels comfortable at the moment I start playing.

Resulting in myself never being good with any grip, but at least it's comfortable :)
TakuMii

Aquamarine wrote:

Grips are highly complex; except people don't know it because it's useless info. Movement on a pen can be done using your wrist or arm or both. I assume most full tablet players use both. Anyways, using your wrist only will not move your hand and opposite for arm (even if it's a very micro-slight movement). I don't think I answered your question.
Movement can also be done with only your fingers for fine control. The placement of your hand on the pen matters too, a higher grip (while not being ideal for writing/drawing) allows for a greater degree of movement. My hands are fairly small, but I'm still able to play near full-area without moving my arm.
Soly
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Yeah alright i feel comfortable with my grip but its plastic so i it slides around in my hand and it changes to something that im not used to thats my problem. maybe i just need to hold it tighter or something. I was looking around and people said putting tape on the pen can help with gripping issues. I might try that. If theres anything else please let me know!
buny
Some people do like a looser grip on their pen, so try whatever is best you feel.
Also yeah you could tape your pen, though some people find this less pleasurable since the texture is different and would take some time overcoming the comfortability issues..
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
So i tried putting duct tape on my pet and it was alright for a few maps but then my hadn started sweating and i couldnt grip it properly again. I might just need to grip the pen harder but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Jagermeiser

UpdatedGames wrote:

So i tried putting duct tape on my pet and it was alright for a few maps but then my hadn started sweating and i couldnt grip it properly again. I might just need to grip the pen harder but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
related:
Increase your tablet area, since bigger area makes it more comfortable playing with a loose grip (usually). You could also try putting more duct tape on your pet to give it an ergonomical shape.
theowest

UpdatedGames wrote:

Try what I did p/2335059
_koinuri
I just grip the pen in pretty much the same way I do for writing/drawing.

After few weeks of playing, my pinky finger started to hurt, probably from sliding across the tablet too much, so I tried wearing a glove that I got from Halloween costume. Since I have sweaty hand, wearing a glove helped me get a nice grip and also helped me slide my hand around in tablet without worrying about hand sticking to the tablet. Now I can't play osu! without it.

I might just be weird (I didn't see anyone in other thread with a glove :( ), but I think wearing a glove may help you grip the pen better if it's slipping away.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Good idea do you wear a glove with gripping on it? or just a plain cloth glove?
_koinuri
I use a plain cloth glove.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Okay i'll try that thanks! If anyone has any more tips please post them here. I'm sure other people could use them too
Callum
~