forum

Nervousness while playing, how it is and how to deal with it

posted
Total Posts
show more
sorgenehtyals
what is your point, pacemaker?
Aqo
Being realistic about your own expectations for your performance on a map before playing it plays a big role in not getting nervous. If you're trying to FC a map that you have little chance to FC and you're deluding yourself on each play thinking "this will be the one!" it will only make you play worse. Same goes for 100s count.

Also, thinking about playing as a set instead of as a list of single plays helps stop caring about FCs and thus not getting nervous from them. i.e. instead of thinking "I'm going to play map A and try my best, then map B and try my best, then map C (and so on)", think "I'm going to play a bunch of maps that I like today, and I'll just finish those plays regardless of how they come out and will be satisfied with whatever results I get by the end of the day". If you'll expect every single result to beat your previous best on the map you'll get nervous; if you'll be realistic instead and expect only maybe 2-3 plays out of 40-50 to make an "upgrade" you'll be able to play everything calmly and efficiently.
Topic Starter
thelewa

Liut wrote:

i've the same issue but i'm a really anxious guy so the same happens for a lot of more stuff in real, i'll probably never find a way to stop this
I feel you, man

;_;
Naikaze
I get used to it and almost never feel it anymore.
Except if this map is something like pluto.
Pacemaker

StormR1d3r wrote:

what is your point, pacemaker?
You're trying to give adivce and make up logic for things you have no experience with

xsrsbsns wrote:

that's like forcing yourself to not think of something.. it'll backfire

StormR1d3r wrote:

no it won't...
yes, it will
Ziggo
I have the same problem and haven't found any solution. I just try to fight the nervousness with extreme focus, but that doesn't really kill the hand shaking.
Disso-
Take a deep breath, tell yourself "I can do this" and just focus. That's what I used to do at least, don't really get nervous anymore.
sorgenehtyals
@pacemaker
how far up your asshole did you have to dig to pull that one out? osu ain't the only game in the universe, you know?aaanyway, caring too much about the result causes fear of screwing it up, so you tense up and sweat and that is followed by a shitty play. if you were to focus on the way this result is achieved, you'll be able to reach a state in mind in which you are only an "observer" and you'll be apathetic of everything that happens.

also, forcing yourself to stay calm works, but it depends a lot on personality.. i mean, it won't work if you didn't want to change obviously.
GoldenWolf
When I get so nervous that my hand start shaking, I try to focus as much as I can on something, for osu! it's "Just hitting the circles, just hitting the circles, just hitting the circles, ..." until I don't think about FCing or anything else anymore.
It doesn't always work, and I sometimes totally lose the control of my hand, start missing everywhere or even failing. (I even fainted a few times lol)

I'm always nervous for anything/everything/nothing in particular, didn't found a solution yet ;_;
Even posting here makes me nervous ;_;
Zakdawg
I started to care less about osu!, so I rarely if ever get nervous doing songs now.

It might also be a factor that i'm just bad, so when I halfway through a song screw up a stream and my acc jumps by 3% my mind just goes "no reason to get nervous, because my score will be bad anyway"'ish.
Pacemaker

StormR1d3r wrote:

how far up your asshole did you have to dig to pull that one out?
u wan sum ice for the assburn?

StormR1d3r wrote:

if you were to focus on the way this result is achieved, you'll be able to reach a state in mind in which you are only an "observer" and you'll be apathetic of everything that happens.
What the hell is that supposed to mean lol
Varetyr
Everytime I get nervous and my hands start shaking etc. , I just take a deep breath, followed by a 10min break chatting with friends, and try again. My friends help me a lot with that I guess...
No need to spoil 50 retries when you already feel that you will fail.
bn3o
bn3o
the real question is how did you make it to rank 2
whats your magic trick
buny
play in very hot temperature
no nervous
Almost
I only get nervous when I try a map a billion times in 1 sitting but since I now spend only 1 or 2 tries per song, I rarely have this problem any more.
Topic Starter
thelewa

bn3o wrote:

the real question is how did you make it to rank 2
whats your magic trick
Playing easy maps
primrose
I get nervous when I almost FC a hard song. Don't know why, When that happens my heart beats a lot.
Before that I get nervous because being spectated by someone I don't know.
Francis
The only time I get nervous is when I know I'm gonna place #1 at some random easy/normal map.
kfshradio
What I do is I force myself to think that I combo broke like 30 notes ago or so. It's a lot easier to FC when you believe you've already failed, and I find I have a lot more fun.
sCam
Well, I'm crazy but I embrace the nervousness and tell myself this is the state of mind i want to be in, and this is why i play Osu, to get this kind of high/rush.

w/e happens happens. lol.
- O n i -
i get nervous when i'm about to FC
pretty much like everyone else haha
Kanegae
For me it's really simple... I prefer to play osu! when I'm sleepy (yeah.), and, I never look at the points or accuracy numbers... I just play while fighting to not sleep on the keyboard. That's how I managed to get two SS in a row, something I've never done...
Pizzicato
been drinking a lot of lipton red tea lately. 2 liters a day.
its rooibos content reduces nervous tension.
RaneFire

Pizzicato wrote:

I didn't even bother to look up something like this, thanks for pointing this out.
Rooibos seems to help with some of the other things I am already on rather strong medication for, guess I shouldn't stop drinking it - since I had to stop drinking coffee and needed a substitute (my only criteria was no caffeine - although sometimes I have decaf).
Topic Starter
thelewa

Pizzicato wrote:

seems interesting

edit: apparently there's rooibos infused liqueur available
usa
1) Get close to FC
2) Feel like having a heart attack and about to pass out
3) Hold breath
4) That feel of pseudo-sexual asphyxiation
Pizzicato

USA wrote:

1) Get close to FC
2) Feel like having a heart attack and about to pass out
3) Hold breath
4) That feel of pseudo-sexual asphyxiation
if this is the case, it's palpitation.blood goes running through your head.
Oinari-sama

thelewa wrote:

edit: apparently there's rooibos infused liqueur available
lol post back here if you find those
Haya
Hmm how to deal with nervousness...
Well, I had this problem until like, a month ago. Whenever I was about to FC some hard map or get into the top 100 I got so nervous that my hand shook like crazy and I eventually messed up. So I just force myself not to think of anything (or at least weaken my mind so the pressure of getting a good score lowers).
Also like someone said in this topic you have to try being realistic with the achievements. That's actually a pretty good advice as many people want a SS so badly because they've seen the scoreboard and are like "That should be pretty easy" - little they know, they will probably fuck up on one of the last 30 notes.
Sooo tl;dr don't think too much about the achievements and just play with a closed mind.
ryza
be a man and fight through it

then cry in a corner when you miss

try again later

rinse repeat until #1
Coolgav
Like everyone else,when i'm about to FC a map,i start geting nervous,especially if it's a long map.
What i try to do is clear my mind and act like i'm only play osu for no reason.
So what happens when i do this is that i'm staring at my screen and i keep playing even though i don't really think about hitting notes.
The results when i do this is - Zombie...mode? i guess Lol
it's actually not that bad but it only works idk...40% of the time and it's not really purposely done,it just happens :D
P.S (this is kinda wierd LOL)
Haya

Coolgav wrote:

What i try to do is clear my mind and act like i'm only play osu for no reason.
^this
Primula_old
I kind of get nervous on high bpm.. can't keep my hand still, end up surprised by my ability to hit notes with a shakey pen which makes it worse because I just realized how freaking shakey it is which causes me to miss notes.

I also subconsciously hold my breath while playing and then when I realize what I'm doing, I start breathing manually and end up paying less attention to the notes.
Bweh
Stop caring
rexcannon
Not sure if this suggestion was posted because I'm short on time, a decent trick you can try is every time you feel "pressure" of a FC or any finish, just pretend you just began playing the map from t he beginning regardless of where you are in the timeline. Preferably during a break time but you can do it any time.

Mind over matter goes both ways, good and bad. However you can take advantage of it in time.
Vendredi
I'm starting to shake, to breath faster and my heart is pounding a lot. I even start to sweat which is so horrible when you are a full mouse player since it become so hard to streams properly, which add more to the stress.
I've found a way to calm down a bit before playing a song I know I'm going to tryhard on it: Drink water, take a deep breath, show the ranking on the left of the screen and smiles. Also, during break in a song, I just breath deeply, pass my hand over my shirt to wipe off the tiny sweats and let's go again.

yea, that sound dumb but it works for me at least, i hope it will help a bit.
Hanyuu

thelewa wrote:

So basically this thread is all about how people get nervous and how they deal with getting nervous if they get nervous. If you don't get nervous, do tell how we common lowlives could achieve something as glorious as a state of mind where we don't get nervous. Keep in mind it's all about osu!, not real-life stuff like going to the store to buy groceries and getting a panic attack.

Basically I get nervous every time I'm about to FC a map, no matter what map it is. My heart starts beating at a billion beats per minute and my vision grows dark, while my hands shake furiously enough to be considered viable replacements for jackhammers in road construction. How I try to deal with this is by focusing on my breathing and using the force of a thousands suns to try to control my right hand. It doesn't work that well, though.

There was not enough space in the subject name to include a question mark
The only thing to do is when this thing happened is to just try and get done with this song. Then take a deep breath and calm down and think you did it once you can do it another time. But usually if i get this nervous it was just a lucky thing for me and i need to try a couple more times before i get it right again and then at this point i allready memorized anything and im not even getting nervous anymore just trying to make no more mistakes
Sohma99
Yeah stop carring about the game is the best way I found to get rid of my nervousness, even when I'm about to FC a long map that I've been retrying a lot.

That's also the reason I suck, but at least I don't care and I'm having fun ^^.
ByAKUSHiKi-103
same here, when I was about to FC a map, I started to nervous and......BAMMM......combo break *rage*
show more