forum

Nervousness while playing, how it is and how to deal with it

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
thelewa
So basically this thread is all about how people get nervous and how they deal with getting nervous if they get nervous. If you don't get nervous, do tell how we common lowlives could achieve something as glorious as a state of mind where we don't get nervous. Keep in mind it's all about osu!, not real-life stuff like going to the store to buy groceries and getting a panic attack.

Basically I get nervous every time I'm about to FC a map, no matter what map it is. My heart starts beating at a billion beats per minute and my vision grows dark, while my hands shake furiously enough to be considered viable replacements for jackhammers in road construction. How I try to deal with this is by focusing on my breathing and using the force of a thousands suns to try to control my right hand. It doesn't work that well, though.

There was not enough space in the subject name to include a question mark
Cobra
I have this problem so bad. I don't see how anyone cannot.
I usually go for easy map #1s (so, flashlight is involved.) Flashlight + hands shaking furiously is not a good combo.

The only advice I have for everyone is just to stay calm. Something I tell myself is "If I miss, it's not the end of the world, I can do it again". That can be a calming thought. All I've got though.
XK2238
sometimes I unconsciously gasp when I begin to reach an FC on certain maps and times, then my breathing becomes abnormally heavier (which results in a resisting force on the chest) along with my back leaning forward. I deal with this by trying to relax my back to its normal position while taking a hold breath to normalize my chest, and voila.

[all above is in the situation of "on the middle of a song" btw]
Full Tablet
Play without any hitbursts and no numbers (so you can't see your combo or accuracy).
winber1
You need to use the force of a thousand and one suns, silly thelewa.

But on topic, what usually ends up happening is that I mess up at one point in the song. So thus I get nervous until I reach that part, then if I beat that part, then I get nervous until I mess up again. Then I don't get nervous until I reach that second messed up part, and blah blah blah until I FC the map. Unless the map is too hard for me to FC and by then I just quit, or the pattern which I always mess up on always messes me up and I can't get passed it.

But sometimes, I just play and I just think oh wow this map is easy, and some reason I don't get nervous (cuz it actually is pretty easy).

But when I do actually get nervous, I take deep breaths while playing and lessen the intensity of my grip. I try to tell myself it's okay, you won't mess up, or that it's okay to mess up or I just say to myself it doesn't matter what happens (unless I am at the very end then I literally just go full force and i give no fuks what happens). The result of going full force usually means that I can't play for the next few minutes because my hand is shaking so much that I can't even grip my pen correctly anymore.

This probably isn't what you are looking for, but I just deal with it by giving no fuks. or at least attempting to
KinkiN

thelewa wrote:

Basically I get nervous every time I'm about to FC a map, no matter what map it is. My heart starts beating at a billion beats per minute and my vision grows dark, while my hands shake furiously enough to be considered viable replacements for jackhammers in road construction. How I try to deal with this is by focusing on my breathing and using the force of a thousands suns to try to control my right hand. It doesn't work that well, though.
We're same , so i guess i will be #3 in pp. dunno when. I don't get nervous when playing a normal beatmap, but i got nervous really bad when I've done 7/8 part in some hards and insanes beatmaps, i got really nervous, so nervous that my hands are actually shaking. basically, i get nervous when i play beatmaps that i like, but easy and normal are excluded. I also get nervous when using HD DR HR FL in easy beatmap.

Most of my nervousness came out after 7/8 of the songs are cleared, and mostly it came out when it's still 100 % Acc rate , OR when I'm playing songs that are in my best performance

My Nervousness are the main cause i got a 50, i miss a circle , or a slider miss.

How to deal with it : because my nervousness only came out after +/- 7/8 part of the beatmap are done, so usually i paused at the break time, or when I'm clicking a slider to take a deep breath until i got calm, and continued to play. sometimes this tricks works for me, sometimes it's not.
kriers
"what happens, happens" is a useful attitude to me. At least I don't get disappointed when I end up missing anyway.

I hate writing so I don't want to add anything else.
-GN
I had the exact same problem when I was FCing Kamui(which, in the end, made me fail) near the ending. I'm gonna guess it's related to what you think your performance is like compared to what you're doing at this very moment - if the latter is too high, you'll start to become very, very nervous and probably fail.

Is this about confidence? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure I could have FCed the song if I had expected to do well instead of "just being another random run". No idea what to do with my case, as runs like that are highly uncommon and extremely off-putting, but for you, lewa, I'd just tell you to try to stay positive and not expect the worst.

(probably not very good advice)
rmanz
This happens to me usually because of relatively poor knowledge about the later stages of the map, compared to the early stages.
The earlier stages being played more because it's easier to get to them with no combo breaks.
I fix this by doing more full runs of the map, where I just continue anyway even if it ends up being a 1x miss run.
(Then I at least know that I'm capable of an FC with more retries)
After I'm confident I can hit the last parts then I retry like normal on combobreak.
Hiryuu_old

Otonashi Yuzuru wrote:

How to deal with it : because my nervousness only came out after +/- 7/8 part of the beatmap are done, so usually i paused at the break time, or when I'm clicking a slider to take a deep breath until i got calm, and continued to play. sometimes this tricks works for me, sometimes it's not.
I have the same problem whenever I'm about to fc a really hard map or by getting really far. Usually I try to tell myself to stay cool and continue like I'm doing and so on. If there is a pause coming up then i will pause it and sometimes wait a minute or so to calm down just like Otonashi said. It helps a ton and it's also good for the hands, to move your wrist and fingers around to ease the pressure so your stamina will replenish quickly.

When we are dealing with a song that doesn't exactly have a pause in the song, i.e: o'er the flood, then the only thing I could suggest is try to keep a clear mind by concentrating on the circles & sliders instead of having your eyes peek at the combo / duration.
RaneFire

winber1 wrote:

This probably isn't what you are looking for, but I just deal with it by giving no fuks. or at least attempting to
You must emanate a strong emotion of "fun" for the entirety of playing a song, RIGHT TO THE END. This powerful emotion is difficult to embody in oneself and a containment field of any proportion may require more power than the universe contains, but once achieved you will be unstoppable. Let your playstyle and state of mind reflect this emotion and you shall succeed.

It's sorta like not giving a fuks, except that you are having fun while doing it, and you don't care about not giving a fuks too much either, whether or not you ever did give a fuks, or why.

Trying to pin down where you get nervous from a technical standpoint will not help you solve it, since getting nervous is exactly that, it's the opposite reaction to the intention you had in mind. You try to focus, but you lose focus because of it. So don't try to focus, and just play. Nothing you can do in a single moment can make you play better.

Hope I confused you, but really, it is this simple, yet also this hard... And it took me a while to grasp, but I had to.

I may not be a good player, but I can honestly say I don't get nervous while playing... since my osu! philosophy is to play without stress, little or no adrenaline, and to make sure I have fun, since this is the only reason I'm still playing. This is also because of health reasons, because stress causes massive problems for me, in any form - yes I'm on chronic medication. I either play like this, or I quit osu!, one or the other.

Honestly trying to help.
Aquamarine
Thoughts.
Nervousness is all mental. Why do you feel nervous? Are you eager to beat a player in MP? Do you feel you're just keeping pace on that FC? Are you stressed because you think you suck; and you're close to dying? ETC.
Realize why. Give is amounts of thought. Eventually you'll come to terms.

You can also hit up on some drugs.
Joke, but if serious there is a class of non-addicting drugs prescribed for performance anxiety.
sorgenehtyals
that is because you focus too much on getting the FC itself... Focus on skill instead, there's no failure there

... or force yourself to calm down tho i wouldn't recommend it

yep, it's that simple
Oinari-sama

thelewa wrote:

If you don't get nervous, do tell how we common lowlives could achieve something as glorious as a state of mind where we don't get nervous.
[Yoda's Voice]Meditate on this, I will...[/troll]

Nah I get the same "over stimulated" feeling like you when I'm about to achieve something that I've been having trouble with.

If I'm lucky enough to keep the combo going into a break, I usually pause and walk away for a bit to reset myself. Otherwise I'll grab a drink to relax a bit and I won't have the same problem for the rest of the night.

If you're not into drinks, why not try chewing gums instead? That stuff supposedly helps people to stay focused?
Topic Starter
thelewa

StormR1d3r wrote:

that is because you focus too much on getting the FC itself... Focus on skill instead, there's no failure there

... or force yourself to calm down tho i wouldn't recommend it

yep, it's that simple
Forcing yourself to calm down is easier said than done

in fact it's impossible
sorgenehtyals
"Forcing yourself to calm down is easier said than done

in fact it's impossible "

it's hard, yes... thats why i said i don't recommend it.. plus it also takes away a bit of your attention
xsrsbsns
that's like forcing yourself to not think of something.. it'll backfire
sorgenehtyals
no it won't... and i'll say it again, i don't recommend forcing yourself ffor fucks sake.. just focus on the damn skill, it's so much more simple than being a rank whore( and that's fucking retarded anyway)
RaneFire

Oinari-sama wrote:

If you're not into drinks, why not try chewing gums instead? That stuff supposedly helps people to stay focused?
I tried eating something while playing before and I can't chew and play at the same time.

It can also be harmful after a while with chewing gums since it stimulates acid production in the stomach when no food is present. And nervousness also attributes to acid production.
Oinari-sama

RaneFire wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

I tried eating something while playing before and I can't chew and play at the same time.

It can also be harmful after a while with chewing gums since it stimulates acid production in the stomach when no food is present. And nervousness also attributes to acid production.
Hoo... never thought about the stomach acid. Play after meal then lol
Pacemaker

StormR1d3r wrote:

it's so much more simple than being a rank whore
There we have it, you probably don't even know what it's like to be close to a really good rank/fc, it kills you. I don't remember the last time I got nervous trying to just pass something.
Liut
i've the same issue but i'm a really anxious guy so the same happens for a lot of more stuff in real, i'll probably never find a way to stop this
sorgenehtyals
what is your point, pacemaker?
Aqo
Being realistic about your own expectations for your performance on a map before playing it plays a big role in not getting nervous. If you're trying to FC a map that you have little chance to FC and you're deluding yourself on each play thinking "this will be the one!" it will only make you play worse. Same goes for 100s count.

Also, thinking about playing as a set instead of as a list of single plays helps stop caring about FCs and thus not getting nervous from them. i.e. instead of thinking "I'm going to play map A and try my best, then map B and try my best, then map C (and so on)", think "I'm going to play a bunch of maps that I like today, and I'll just finish those plays regardless of how they come out and will be satisfied with whatever results I get by the end of the day". If you'll expect every single result to beat your previous best on the map you'll get nervous; if you'll be realistic instead and expect only maybe 2-3 plays out of 40-50 to make an "upgrade" you'll be able to play everything calmly and efficiently.
Topic Starter
thelewa

Liut wrote:

i've the same issue but i'm a really anxious guy so the same happens for a lot of more stuff in real, i'll probably never find a way to stop this
I feel you, man

;_;
Naikaze
I get used to it and almost never feel it anymore.
Except if this map is something like pluto.
Pacemaker

StormR1d3r wrote:

what is your point, pacemaker?
You're trying to give adivce and make up logic for things you have no experience with

xsrsbsns wrote:

that's like forcing yourself to not think of something.. it'll backfire

StormR1d3r wrote:

no it won't...
yes, it will
Ziggo
I have the same problem and haven't found any solution. I just try to fight the nervousness with extreme focus, but that doesn't really kill the hand shaking.
Disso-
Take a deep breath, tell yourself "I can do this" and just focus. That's what I used to do at least, don't really get nervous anymore.
sorgenehtyals
@pacemaker
how far up your asshole did you have to dig to pull that one out? osu ain't the only game in the universe, you know?aaanyway, caring too much about the result causes fear of screwing it up, so you tense up and sweat and that is followed by a shitty play. if you were to focus on the way this result is achieved, you'll be able to reach a state in mind in which you are only an "observer" and you'll be apathetic of everything that happens.

also, forcing yourself to stay calm works, but it depends a lot on personality.. i mean, it won't work if you didn't want to change obviously.
GoldenWolf
When I get so nervous that my hand start shaking, I try to focus as much as I can on something, for osu! it's "Just hitting the circles, just hitting the circles, just hitting the circles, ..." until I don't think about FCing or anything else anymore.
It doesn't always work, and I sometimes totally lose the control of my hand, start missing everywhere or even failing. (I even fainted a few times lol)

I'm always nervous for anything/everything/nothing in particular, didn't found a solution yet ;_;
Even posting here makes me nervous ;_;
Zakdawg
I started to care less about osu!, so I rarely if ever get nervous doing songs now.

It might also be a factor that i'm just bad, so when I halfway through a song screw up a stream and my acc jumps by 3% my mind just goes "no reason to get nervous, because my score will be bad anyway"'ish.
Pacemaker

StormR1d3r wrote:

how far up your asshole did you have to dig to pull that one out?
u wan sum ice for the assburn?

StormR1d3r wrote:

if you were to focus on the way this result is achieved, you'll be able to reach a state in mind in which you are only an "observer" and you'll be apathetic of everything that happens.
What the hell is that supposed to mean lol
Varetyr
Everytime I get nervous and my hands start shaking etc. , I just take a deep breath, followed by a 10min break chatting with friends, and try again. My friends help me a lot with that I guess...
No need to spoil 50 retries when you already feel that you will fail.
bn3o
bn3o
the real question is how did you make it to rank 2
whats your magic trick
show more