forum

[Archived] Snaking Sliders cause a BIG lag on high resolution

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nijihara Tsubasa
I have benn playing osu! on a Surface Pro for a month. Everything is all right BUT some DEADLY LAGS, even lagger than my netbook!
I haven't even tried to disable Snaking Sliders, just because there's a "This should run fine unless you have an ancient machine" in its description. Who may say Surface Pro is an ancient machine?

Until someday I disabled it and ALL lags are gone...

I have tested out how enabling/disabling this effect may affect the game:
SPOILER
1920x1080 fullscreen, all effects on, including Snaking Sliders
Ingame: About 130 FPS, and drops to 30 at random time. When there're many sliders appearing on screen it feels DEADLY LAG that my clicks are often ignored.

1920x1080 fullscreen, only Snaking Slider on, all other effects off
EXACTLY SAME AS ABOVE

1920x1080 fullscreen, only Snaking Slider off, all other effects on
Ingame: 150~250FPS. No lags.

1366x768 fullscreen, all effects on, including Snaking Sliders
Ingame: No lags. But there's still a big FPS dropdown when many sliders appears

I wonder if this can be made better...
I have searched in the forum and found someone saying that it's unable to fix this lag. If so, PLEASE AT LEAST ADD A "Try disabling this if you experience lags on your ultrabook or tablet pc" IN ITS DESCRIPTION, INSTEAD OF THE MISLEADING "This should run fine unless you have an ancient machine"!

Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz, with HD4000 Graphics
4GB RAM
Windows8 64bit
XPJ38
An "Ancient" PC doesn't necessarily mean "ancient" in its proper sense but relates to any PC with low-end specifications. And in your case:

Nijihara Tsubasa wrote:

with HD4000 Graphics
This might be the cause. I say "might" because I saw some people having no problems with this chipset and others having issues.
But yeah you are right, "an ancient machine" may be a bit misleading. I'll look after changing this in the translation document.

edit: done. The new text should appear in the next localisation update.
vidya
I am having this exact same problem. I was getting a bit frustrated trying to figure out why it was lagging all the time, but turned off snaking sliders and no lag. I hope this can be changed because it used to run fine and I find it hard to read hidden sliders without snaking.

Edit: Also just discovered that they're working when I switch from DirectX to OpenGL.
Marcin
HD4000 is not that bad - it can run some games on a really good level. Are you all having drivers updated?
Topic Starter
Nijihara Tsubasa

Marcin wrote:

HD4000 is not that bad - it can run some games on a really good level. Are you all having drivers updated?
I tried both the driver provided in Windows Update and Intel's newest offical driver, the problem is still there.
YoungGrandmom
Now I also have that probelm.
The problem is excactly the same as what Nijihara Tsubasa has.

After yesterday's update, I run osu! with my Lenovo Y470 notebook(the graphic card is GT550M,I have closed the integrated graphic card).

I exclude the reason of everything but the resolution. In my case, it only has big lag when 1920*1080 fullscreen (I connected my notebook and monitor with HDMI) and maybe higher with a lot of sliders appear. I run osu on my other PC in 1440*900 is good with snaking sliders. And i try 1920*1080 borderless with snaking sloders is OK.

The graphic card's driver was 314.22-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql, and now is 320.18-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql. Both of them can not solve the problem.

Since this problem cant be fixed for now, I will continue playing in a low resolution until someone fix that problem. :(
(That was really hard for me to play HD/FL without snaking sliders :o )

And does anyone knows why "120FPS(unlimited in gameplay)" could cause a blackscreen(sounds are still there but nothing on monitor) when I use "OPENGL"?
duck123
I thought wine was causing lag all the time but disabling snakey sliders fixed it for me too.
EDIT: it's obviously coding bug since i wouldn't consider GTX 660 ancient by any means
jogfi2002
Well, I have the same problem now.

I used to play osu on my old notebook in 1280x800 and nothing wrong then.
It is so strange that lag comes to me after I have a new PC with i3 4130 and 8G RAM, core graphic card 4400.

I guess the 64bit win7 system matters, as I was using 32bit on my old computer.

Now I can only turn off snaking slider to get a smooth play, or obvious lag can crash everything.
XPJ38
^ Create a new thread please. This one is archived.