forum

[resolved] Whenever I start a map, the game switches to vsync

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Callmecricket
I have no idea where this is happening from, since I have vsync turned off for osu in my gpu, but whenever I go into a map the game switches to vsync. When I'm in the pause menu or anywhere else it's fine, but if I go to play a map it switches to vsync and the quality drops a LOT.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Are you sure you aren't confused the switch to hz instead of FPS during Gameplay when using the Unlimited Frame limiter? What's the MS number displaying when you believe Vsync is enabled?
Topic Starter
Callmecricket
Yeah I situated that confusion in the subreddit, but now I'm having a new problem of dropped frames. I have an Nvidia 930m and 24gb of ram so my hardware should not be the issue. I even uninstalled and reinstalled osu to try and fix this, and it didn't work. I've tried so many methods to fix this I'll really take any suggestion.
Dntm8kmeeatu
24gb of RAM combined with a mediocre mobile graphics processor is an interesting combination. But that's just an off topic observation.

Have you tried and read everything on this page? wiki/en/Performance_Troubleshooting

Could you get a video or screenshot of the drops with the frame time graph open? (Ctrl+f11)

Be sure to close anything else running. That includes Discord and Chrome and anything else.
Topic Starter
Callmecricket
I have a laptop gifted from my uncle. He put the 930m in it and I just recently added 16gb of ram to it just because there's not too much you can do to upgrade laptops really.

Edit: I've already viewed that page, and tried everything under frames dropping twice. Didn't help anything

https://imgur.com/pgeJNod

edit 2: Was this the image you needed?
Dntm8kmeeatu
Well, I think it's obvious that Vsync is being forced by *something* on your computer.
Either Windows or your drivers.

Make sure you didn't miss any options in your GPU settings for Vsync. Double check your integrated graphics settings too, as that probably controls your Display.

Also make sure Prefer Max Performance is set in your GPU drivers and Max Performance is set in your Windows Power Plan, and not Balanced or Power Saver.
Topic Starter
Callmecricket
Ok so my other driver is the intel driver that was initially built into the laptop. I checked the settings and there is no way I can disable Vsync. There is a setting to select what applications I want to use vsync but nothing to straight up turn it off. I double checked my nvidia driver and vsync is definitely turned off for osu. I did however find that all of my power settings were set for balanced, what should I exactly change to max performance when on battery? So far I have only set my graphics card to max performance, is there anything else? Thank you for all the help again, this really means a lot and I would in no way be able to figure this out by myself.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Windows Power Plan.
There should be a High Performance option.
Topic Starter
Callmecricket
I think I found the issue! For some reason, my game forced compatibility mode on, something with running better on nvidia processors, I turned it off and played a few maps and my frames haven't dropped below 100. I'll post here again if I have another problem, thanks!