forum

How well am I progressing? kind of fustrating

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fenarth
Hey guys started playing osu after watching bloxblox the league streamer and cause of irl friends

Im asking about my progress as boxbox has roughly 10k plays yet he clears scarlet rose and big black etc
Other players do similar tasks at around 6k plays

Im at almost 2k and the hardest song I can do is http://osu.phy.sh/s/79049 on insane (barely)
And that that pace I really cant see the above happening so I wonder if im just bad or hes just a osu prodigy

Thus I have come here for tips

1. What do you read in songs? I generally just hit notes based on the music but on some maps that simply doesnt work so
I look at approach circles instead.

My accuracy really sucks especially streams and triple taps

Some of my friends irl say they look at the note fading away and I tried it but on faster maps this specific technique is
Abhorrently hard to do and (to me) seems unnessasary if you can just look at circles instead.

2. I strictly alternate fingers because its "fun!" But I almost exclusively see players single tap except for streams
Whats the reasoning behind this?

3. I have a weird habit of just flat missing a random note in the middle of songs regardless of how easy. Due to this
I have to retry multiple times to fc something this also ties into my next problem

4. Im extremely inconsistent. During my osu marathons i get randomly worse and fail the song I almost just fcd
I think its because i dont actually read circles/fade and hit when i think the music matches. Does this happen to anyone else?

5. How do you properly read/do streams? On streams thay are long or hard I generally just spam and survive with 50s and 100s but obviously this is a bad habit

6. What does ar4 ar6 etc mean? People say it quite often

7. Is there some kind of map pack specifically designed to make you better? The way ive done it so far is I torrented the 200-300 beatpack and ive just been going down the list (found some really nice songs I never would have heard otherwise esp anime ops) alot of the songs I do are easy then some retarded fullscreen star jjump or super stream randomly pops up and kills me so ive started playong with nf on. I want to do aome consistently hard maps instead

And for my own personal question, for those of you who have cleared a super hard map like big black how many plays did it take you?
Its kind of a personal goal for me and ideally I would do it at around 8k or something
VoidnOwO

Fenarth wrote:

Im asking about my progress as boxbox has roughly 10k plays yet he clears scarlet rose and big black etc
Stopped reading
thelewa

Fenarth wrote:

Hey guys started playing osu after watching bloxblox the league streamer and cause of irl friends

Im at almost 2k and the hardest song I can do is http://osu.phy.sh/s/79049 on insane (barely)
And that that pace I really cant see the above happening so I wonder if im just bad or hes just a osu prodigy

Thus I have come here for tips

1. What do you read in songs? I generally just hit notes based on the music but on some maps that simply doesnt work so
I look at approach circles instead.

My accuracy really sucks especially streams and triple taps

Some of my friends irl say they look at the note fading away and I tried it but on faster maps this specific technique is
Abhorrently hard to do and (to me) seems unnessasary if you can just look at circles instead.

2. I strictly alternate fingers because its "fun!" But I almost exclusively see players single tap except for streams

3. I have a weird habit of just flat missing a random note in the middle of songs regardless of how easy. Due to this
I have to retry multiple times to fc something this also ties into my next problem

4. Im extremely inconsistent. During my osu marathons i get randomly worse and fail the song I almost just fcd
I think its because i dont actually read circles/fade and hit when i think the music matches. Does this happen to anyone else?

5. How do you properly read/do streams? On streams thay are long or hard I generally just spam and survive with 50s and 100s but obviously this is a bad habit

6. What does ar4 ar6 etc mean? People say it quite often

7. Is there some kind of map pack specifically designed to make you better? The way ive done it so far is I torrented the 200-300 beatpack and ive just been going down the list (found some really nice songs I never would have heard otherwise esp anime ops) alot of the songs I do are easy then some retarded fullscreen star jjump or super stream randomly pops up and kills me so ive started playong with nf on. I want to do aome consistently hard maps instead

And for my own personal question, for those of you who have cleared a super hard map like big black how many plays did it take you?
Its kind of a personal goal for me and ideally I would do it at around 8k or something
1. I read circles by not paying that much attention to the approach circles (aside from very few confirmation glances at hard parts) and mainly just click based on the music

2. There's nothing wrong with alternating, but apparently alternate-specific players might face some problems with streaming since their playstyle doesn't improve streaming outside of streams. There are impossibly good streamers who play by alternating, though. Like Silvia and [-Nightmare-].

3. and 4. are common problems that go away with playing the game a lot. The first one is in most cases caused by a lapse in your attention. I used to get it all the time and it made me so mad back in the days. The second one is something that you get better at the more you try to FC maps.

5. If normal circles in Insanes are 1/2 and streams are 1/4, then it's easy to get good accuracy at streams just by realizing that streams are exactly the same as normal circles, except that you add another finger into the mix and alternate. OH WAIT YOU ALTERNATE ALL THE TIME THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU sorry I can't help you with this, then.

6. Approach Rate X, meaning how fast the Approach Rate is on a scale of 1-10. DoubleTime can make it go even higher than that while otherwise it is capped at 10.

7. Not as far as I know.

Also stop caring about playcount, that stuff is basically useless. Cookiezi's real playcount is probably like 200k and mine is around 150k (with offline playings added into the mix) and the amount of playcount a guy gets depends heavily on the player's own playstyle. Some people retry instantly when they miss, other people play the map all the way to the end. Retrying gives you 1 more playcount every time, so having a high playcount can just mean that the player retries a lot (trying to get good accuracy, trying to get a certain #1). rrtyui is an excellent example of this. He is widely considered the 2. best player in the game and he retries so much it's retarded.
Liut
boxbox is just that kind of asian guy who is a beast at every videogames he plays, don't compare your self to him.
Aqo
Big Black after 10k plays what the heck
enik
OP exaggerates, boxbox hasn't cleared The Big Black, he's just able to play through first few streams thanks to fast fingers and asian genes also he alternates everything.
Alternating will lead you to crazy songs much faster, but single tap should help you to build foundation faster such as ability to stream and accuracy, eventually you will learn both. Don't watch at the playcount, make this guy your idol and try to surpass him no matter how much time it will take. With this attitude you'll be better than he and many other asians once.
Lapis-
nvm im wrong i should feel bad
GoldenWolf

PortalLife wrote:

the best way to see how you are progressing is to compare yourself to people of your playcount/rank
no
1.because playcount doesn't mean anything
2.because rank doesn't mean anything
Wishy
Just play and ignore other players, truth is some people will improve better than you and that's it. There are players struggling to get fast fingers yet I got them w/o even training that, then you have people who has a very good sense of rhythm and will be good@accuracy. Same applies to everything.

Also ignore playcount.
Aqo

Wishy wrote:

There are players struggling to get fast fingers yet I got them w/o even training that
this is really bs btw
pls gief fingers :<
Kanye West
it's true, finger speed relies on muscle tone and coordination, both of which you can acquire independent of osu
thelewa

Kanye West wrote:

it's true, finger speed relies on muscle tone and coordination, both of which you can acquire independent of osu
the most important thing in osu! is something you learn outside of osu!

sad
Wishy
I think the ability to focus may be as important as that if not more.
thelewa
the ability to what-now?
Lelion
But if we assume two players has never played offline, can't we use total hits and compare to effectively see how much they have played?
Icyteru
^no, because insanes have much more notes than hards.
Wishy
Not really, some people keep wasting time playing easy shit cause they like to easily FC stuff/get top ranks on [Normal] difficulties while some other challenge themselves to get better. I know people who is way over 60.000 plays yet they are not even close to being good or even decent.

Even if harder maps "have more notes", you'd be surprised of how many people keep playing "easy insanes" or hards just to get SS or easy FCs. In the end you can't really judge anyone by any of their stats, you can either look at their top scores or spectate them, no other way to see how good someone is.
Oinari-sama
Well playcount and xp level, to me at least, are just for shows. Everyone's different, so the real experience one gets "per play" is different too.

Ever go watching a movie with someone who can't follow the plot? I know people who has habit of watching the same movie 2/3 times, yet they still don't get the plot. =.=

Just enjoy playing the game.
Hanyuu
http://youtu.be/afSDFmADbJc

Here is a video that gives advice and explains some things. Take or leave what you like :P
Since the video is pretty long there are some shortcuts in the video's description
Lelion
I guess that makes sense as one player could play with mods and the other without, play the same songs, and still have the same number of total hits.
Zakdawg
Say you use your index finger to single tap and only alternate streams, your index finger will always be going at the same pace whether it is during streams or singles.
Aquamarine
I only read the first 2 paragraphs but I'd like to say play count is deceiving.
Some people play and repeat maps many times to get an A or S. Same applies to get into top ranks. One hit of 100? Reset.
Some players play maps all the way through. That's a huge difference.
Some people will repeat a map over and over to practice on a challenging map. For players out there, did that thought ever occur to you when you play Big Black or Airman for the first time?
Some people play only unranked maps similar to myself. It says I have 15k. More like 40k.
Some people- ETC. ETC. ETC.

Summary: don't be discouraged.