forum

[Archived] OSU! Mac cursor appearing on top of OSU! cursor. Help!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
Problem details:
Hi I have been having this problem recently in which my cursor appears over the OSU! cursor. It's no big deal but it pisses me off so does anyone please have a fix for mac? The problem is evident in my video below.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bET85x1TLtw

osu! version: Stable 20210520.2 (latest)
THAT_otaku
Unfortunately i don't know much about mac, but do the usual windows sulotions work? Such as closing applications that could overlay osu!(like discord) and/or restarting your comouter?
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07

THAT_otaku wrote:

Unfortunately i don't know much about mac, but do the usual windows sulotions work? Such as closing applications that could overlay osu!(like discord) and/or restarting your comouter?
Thanks for the response! It happens less when I close other apps but it does still happen.
-aster
Do you have raw input enabled? If not, can you enable it in your options menu and see if that gets your mouse cursor to go away?

If not, can you tell us what Mac operating system you have?
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
Ok I will try that! I am running mac OS big sur.

Edit: It worked for a bit but now my mouse appears next to my cursor! making the game unplayable
-aster
Hmm, did you happen to download the game from https://osuosx.tumblr.com/ by chance?
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
No I did not. I downloaded it from Mega
-aster
You mean you downloaded it by clicking the mega.nz link from this forum post by Technocoder, correct?

community/forums/topics/1106057
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
Yes that is what I did.
biso
Cursorcerer is a free prefpane that can hide the mac cursor with a hotkey: http://doomlaser.com/cursorcerer-hide-your-cursor-at-will/
or try with Mousecape https://github.com/alexzielenski/Mousecape
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
Thanks though this did not work for me!
Fabicho_
Ok, i had this problem too, try to have this config
- Compatibilty mode = OFF
- Fullscreen = OFF
- Resolution = [ur screen] (borderless)
- Confine mouse cursor = Only when fullscreen
- Cursor ripples = OFF

Also since you are not on fullscreen try to do not have any app in the same window as osu
How it should be:

how it shouldn't be:
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
Ok I have changed these settings I will see if they work thanks!
Edit: This works mostly but when I do spinners my mouse reappears.
Technocoder
What version of macOS are you using?

Please ensure that you close as many applications as you can. This includes applications in the menu bar. A few years ago, the Location Services service was stealing the mouse cursor's focus for whatever reason.
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
I am using Big sur. I have all apps closed. I have just disabled location services so I guess I'll check how it works. Thanks for the response.
aidswidjaja

HugoMastery07 wrote:

Ok I have changed these settings I will see if they work thanks!
Edit: This works mostly but when I do spinners my mouse reappears.
This could be occuring because of a macOS accessibility option that makes the cursor bigger when you shake it a lot. If you try shaking your cursor on any program, it should grow in size to help you find it. This is intended behaviour from macOS.

To disable it, go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor (tab) > Shake mouse pointer to locate, and see if that works

If that doesn't work, you could try tweaking your resolution/graphics settings like Fabicho suggested (don't turn on Compatibility Mode) and let us know here
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
I have previously disabled the growing cursor but I will try fixing my resolution thanks

Edit: Fixing my resolution did not help :(
Technocoder
Okay, since we've exhausted the other options, we're going to get technical here.

Create a new file on your desktop named "script.py". Copy the contents of this into it:
#!/usr/bin/python

try:
    from AppKit import NSWorkspace
except ImportError:
    print "Can't import AppKit -- maybe you're running python from brew?"
    print "Try running with Apple's /usr/bin/python instead."
    exit(1)

from datetime import datetime
from time import sleep

last_active_name = None
while True:
    active_app = NSWorkspace.sharedWorkspace().activeApplication()
    if active_app['NSApplicationName'] != last_active_name:
        last_active_name = active_app['NSApplicationName']
        print '%s: %s [%s]' % (
            datetime.now().strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'),
            active_app['NSApplicationName'],
            active_app['NSApplicationPath']
        )
    sleep(1)

Open Terminal and type
cd Desktop
and press enter. Then type
/usr/bin/python script.py
and press enter. Now if you switch windows, you'll see what windows were switched to in Terminal. Open osu! and when you notice your mouse cursor appearing on top, check Terminal to see what's stealing your focus.
Topic Starter
HugoMastery07
So just to check should the file I make be .txt or something else? Also how would I create this file as I am quite new to the technical stuff.
Technocoder
Make it a
.py
file (that's the extension). You can create it using TextEdit and then saving the file to the desktop.
show more