forum

Streamtime!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
pixeldesu
I had this in mind for some days now, so I'm going to write a little request for it here.

Streamtime

Streamtime is a time-section inside a beatmap that is automatically found by the game (cause it can find streams). It will change the visual style and scoring for streams a bit.

Visual stuff:
- The playfield is dimming about 20% (random value, wohoo!) and focuses on the stream (maybe all other hitobjects are dimmed as well for the Streamtime).

- There is another combo-count for the stream, showing your combo (and success with that) in that stream. It would be placed half-sized on top of the normal combo-counter which is increasing normally in Streamtime.

- As a kind-of gimmick there could be a additional score-text for the stream, which fades into the normal score when finishing Streamtime. (imagine like the score for each hit in Taiko)

- At the end of the Streamtime there could be a applause or maybe just the section-pass/fail sound.

Scoring/Technical stuff:
- The score made with Streamtime wouldn't change it that much as maybe expected (I guess a lot of people think that the score would be something like 40 (Stream-Combo) x 300 (Judgement) x 795 (Normal Combo)). The Stream-Combo would only add a little part of the score and combo you have, let me explain that in a little formula:

streamtime score = ( stream combo x score of hit x normal combo ) x 0.2

Even if the scoring would be a bit changed and new plays would have higher score then old ones it would be a nice feature to see.
A little concept of Streamtime:
Kuro
Sounds cool, it certainly would add more thrill to the game and also allow you to focus a bit more on streams, or harder patterns depending on which game mode you're playing.
Bells
Sounds too disruptive if I'm getting your concept right
chaotic_iak

pixeldesu wrote:

streamtime score = ( stream combo x score of hit x normal combo ) x 0.2
Very large score. I'd suggest a multiplier of less than 0.0001. Even the normal scoring formula (judgment + judgment * combo * mod * diff * 0.04) has that multiplier of 0.04. Just try to compute the formula for a sufficiently long stream; the normal score formula is far dwarfed by the streamtime score:

All hits are 300, combo when starting stream is 100 (so after the stream it's 200), mod is 1, and diff is 5.

Normal: (300 + 300 * 100 * 1 * 5 * 0.04) + (300 + 300 * 101 * 1 * 5 * 0.04) + ... + (300 + 300 * 199 * 1 * 5 * 0.04) = 927,000
Streamtime: (0 * 300 * 100 * 0.2) + (1 * 300 * 101 * 0.2) + (2 * 300 * 102 * 0.2) + ... + (99 * 300 * 199 * 0.2) = 49,401,000
Modified streamtime: (0 * 300 * 100 * 0.0001) + (1 * 300 * 101 * 0.0001) + (2 * 300 * 102 * 0.0001) + ... + (99 * 300 * 199 * 0.0001) = 24,700.5

(The point is that your multiplier is extremely imbalanced. Also, this assumes that the streamtime score is a bonus; if not, then totally oppose because it breaks some maps.)

-----

Anyway, I prefer if this is mapper-definable. The mapper can choose some section(s) to highlight that gives the above said streamtime score.

...On retrospect, I don't think this is important enough to give an extra score. Perhaps highlighting a difficult section can use your idea (dimming and focusing on hit objects) is nice, but not extra score.

So, I'm neutral with the highlighting idea (but there should be a toggle; some people might find it disruptive like SB), but opposed to the extra score.
Mira-san
I like the UI idea.

Scoring system idk.

gg example with another look.

I'd like to have that text over there huehue.

theowest
Things like this will be considered in the new difficulty calculator. The score system is pretty good already, this is an awful way of rewarding more difficult stuff in maps.
thelewa

theowest wrote:

Things like this will be considered in the new difficulty calculator. The score system is pretty good already, this is an awful way of rewarding more difficult stuff in maps.
Just the stream specific combo counter would be really cool

everything else would just be distracting or not plausible to implement
-GN
It should only be used for streams longer than 15-20 circles long, though, or it'd become less special and then very annoying
theowest

thelewa wrote:

theowest wrote:

Just the stream specific combo counter would be really cool
made me think of this: t/123834/
but yeah, that would be very cool.
ReVeNg3r

pixeldesu wrote:

- The playfield is dimming about 20% (random value, wohoo!) and focuses on the stream (maybe all other hitobjects are dimmed as well for the Streamtime).
storyboard

pixeldesu wrote:

- There is another combo-count for the stream, showing your combo (and success with that) in that stream. It would be placed half-sized on top of the normal combo-counter which is increasing normally in Streamtime.

- As a kind-of gimmick there could be a additional score-text for the stream, which fades into the normal score when finishing Streamtime. (imagine like the score for each hit in Taiko)
go play this

pixeldesu wrote:

- At the end of the Streamtime there could be a applause or maybe just the section-pass/fail sound.
wut?

If you wanna measure your streaming skills go play maps like :
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/72474
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/76465
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/40405
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/50603
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/195635
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/243854

I don't really see this would be useful at all :/ .
benguin
I don't see the reason for rewarding additional points beyond what's already gotten because someone can stream good. Good streamers that are bad at jumping are already rewarded much more than good jumpers that are bad at streaming (imagine the accuracy difference between someone 300'ing all jumps but 100'ing all stream and compare that to the accuracy of someone who 100'ed all jumps but 300'ed all streams).

If we're gonna have streamtime, might as well have jumptime, and galloptime, and awkward-rhythmtime and annoying-slider-velocity-changestime and any other skill someone could potentially be good at.
theowest

benguin wrote:

If we're gonna have streamtime, might as well have jumptime, and galloptime, and awkward-rhythmtime and annoying-slider-velocity-changestime and any other skill someone could potentially be good at.
so just the better diff calculator that's being developed?
Hanyuu
This would be pretty epic on beatmaps like native faith :P
Saten

theowest wrote:

benguin wrote:

so just the better diff calculator that's being developed?
So why ot just wait for it instead?

And I don't think extra bonus score from streamtime would be so smart. I mean, if you pass the streams, then it's good.
If you miss a note, then too bad :p

Why would you need extra? o:
thelewa
Changing the scoring in any way is a no-go
wendao
Streamtime is a time-section inside a beatmap that is automatically found by the game (cause it can find streams). It will change the visual style and scoring for streams a bit.
IMHO use toggle system just like Kiai times, so there will be 3 Section, Kiai time, Stream time, Kiai + Stream time *-*
benguin
If this gets implemented in some way that affects scoring, I'd probably end up quitting osu.
theowest

benguin wrote:

If this gets implemented in some way that affects scoring, I'd probably end up quitting osu.
it won't, trust me.

so we should just deny it
deadbeat

theowest wrote:

benguin wrote:

it won't, trust me.

so we should just deny it
Jumptime, how far can YOU jump!
warning: bpmandsilderspeedmayverywithmaps.tabletssoldsperatly

request doesn't seem needed, plus not a lot of support. so sorry
TheVileOne
This is not an invalid request. Part of the request being invalid doesn't invalidate the whole thing and kiai is not a suitable function for streamtime. You can't have kiai appear only during streams.
deadbeat
if you insist, i'll leave this one to you then :p
Topic Starter
pixeldesu
I removed the scoring stuff because..yeah, that was a bad idea overall. Left the visual stuff.
wendao

TheVileOne wrote:

This is not an invalid request. Part of the request being invalid doesn't invalidate the whole thing and kiai is not a suitable function for streamtime. You can't have kiai appear only during streams.
No, i mean there should be a switch like Kiai, not the Kiai itself :(
show more