forum

P2P map downloads in multiplayer [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
rintaun
Just started playing Starcraft again recently, and that made me think of this: instead of having to download the beatmap through the website when you don't have it in multiplayer, what about automatically trying to download it peer-to-peer first?

Just a suggestion.
qlum
I think implementing a p2p system would not be easy and p2p downloads could be slow when someone in Europe plays in a room full of Asians . but it could be a way to lessen the stress on the server
Daru
I think it's a great idea, since it could be useful for sharing un-uploaded maps without having to upload to mediafire or something. Also, with the servers in the state they are currently in, this sound like a good workaround.

Of course, speed may be an issue, and a checksum-type confirmation method would also have to be implemented to assure that nothing unwanted is spread in this manner.
anonymous_old
No.

Reason? Starcraft maps are small (in the kilobyte range) which took seconds to download via dial-up (56k) for people in the same server (region) as you. This is a short time for downloader and not much stress on the connection of the uploader.

osu! map packages are usually around five megabytes each. Many different regions play osu!, and the upload-to-download ratio is smaller than it was back then. The upload would be stressed for many players, which isn't good because shouldn't be stressed on Internet connections.

Also, like with illegal torrenting, you're likely sending copyrighted content to other people, which is usually more annoying than downloading it for ISP's.

Requires port forwarding for naive methods. This can be worked around, though.

peppy probably wants people to donate to get quick access to maps. He could hand everyone osu!direct, but then he'd get less donations. He could implement this, but then he'd get less people using osu!direct.

Requires an option to disable and another to cap, for both upload and download. (Cap and enabler can be combined, likely.)

Requires a cancel button to stop downloading if the download is too slow, so the user can go to the web download.

Yes.

Reduces the load on the osu! download servers. Quick and relatively simple to implement. Verification is simple. Convenient. Less alt-tabbing for fullscreen players (like me) which slow down the computer.

Can't think of much else. =]

I'm leaning toward No.

Also, doesn't Starcraft download from the host only? That's how WC3 works.
Echo
Actually, p2p map downloads are coming with osz2.
mattyu007
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Derekku

Echo wrote:

Actually, p2p map downloads are coming with osz2.
wat
KawaiiLily
Wauw?

I hope it will be both..

P2P OR Download from osu.
peppy
I hope to have a working p2p implementation for map downloads as soon as possible. It is the best way to move forward considering load and server issues.
anonymous_old
Any progress on this?
peppy
Yes it is moving along slowly. Can be expected sometime this year, all going well. osz2, p2p, better bss. It's a big project.
FurukawaPan
This is a really neat idea for multiplayer. I've been in enough situations myself where someone is trying out their newest map on people. There's also some neat collab mapping applications here to consider (like being able to communicate one's submission and/or updating one's submission, without having to post it several times in the map's thread).
Ph0X
Did not read the whole thread but about the speed, it could very easily work like Blizzard does it with their updates.
p2p sharing + HTTP server.

So there would be the default Bancho servers uploading at 160 or w.e the cap is, and then to that adds up the speed of the p2p seeds. Doesn't have to be this OR that like someone else suggested.
peppy
There will be no central server moving forward. This is all already planned and requires no further discussion. Locking thread.