forum

How to stream

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jordan
So to make it short my stream skill started dropping since like 9-10 months, and that still haven't stopped (Nowadays I can't stream 170bpm. I remember being able to pass mendes DT in aug 2011.)

What's the problem imo: When I stream my hand shakes (i CAN'T control it) and my ring finger repeteadly presses, involuntarly, on the keyboard making my streaming awkwardly inconsistent or making me fail the stream. This happens roughly 99.9% of the times in every stream I do.

Have any of you had a huge skill drop throughout time? Does streaming come natural to you? What's a good hand position for streaming?

Any tips are welcomed. I wanna get rid of this and finally be able to play without getting frustrated about it
Aqo
Jordan you passed Mendes DT? omg pro

OT: practice

I had a drop like that too and it seems like the only practical solution is to abandon RL and play every day.
Saint_old
stop alternating
Topic Starter
Jordan
Alternating weakens stream skill = bullshit. Alternating is not the reason of my skill drop
Rokk
"Stop alternating"? That's a load of BS.

Good luck singletapping Mendes without hypertensing.
Topic Starter
Jordan

Teraku wrote:

"Stop alternating"? That's a load of BS.

Good luck singletapping Mendes without hypertensing.
He meant alternating 1/2 notes but that's still wrong. There are 2keyers who can stream, Nightmare if you want an example

I just want to get rid of my stream skill worsening
CXu
Well, idk, I suck at streaming, but if your current technique doesn't work, you'll probably have to find some technique that works (even if it's slower than what you do now, this can probably be trained again), and then you adjust from your old technique to this new one. For one, you can try forcing your ring finger to stay higher up so it doesn't hit your keyboard. Also when you talk about shaking hands, are you saying that they always shake, or only when streaming? If it's only when streaming, then try find a way where they don't shake. if they always shake, idk figure something out lol.
Topic Starter
Jordan

CXu wrote:

Well, idk, I suck at streaming, but if your current technique doesn't work, you'll probably have to find some technique that works (even if it's slower than what you do now, this can probably be trained again), and then you adjust from your old technique to this new one. For one, you can try forcing your ring finger to stay higher up so it doesn't hit your keyboard. Also when you talk about shaking hands, are you saying that they always shake, or only when streaming? If it's only when streaming, then try find a way where they don't shake. if they always shake, idk figure something out lol.
It's only when streaming. I tried lifiting my ring finger up and forcing it to stay like that but it hurts my hand a lot. Guess I'll just give up on streams and play other types of maps ;_;
CXu
Does the shaking happen on all speeds? If it doesn't, play streams at the limit of where you start to shake your hand and figure out why you begin in the first place (vibrating because alternating becomes too hard? etc, stuff like that), then focus on getting rid of the habit of vibrating/shaking to do streams.

If it happens regardless of bpm, then you could try to press your wrist down to the table/keyboard/whatever, then use only your fingers for streaming. Don't move your hand or wrist or anything.

Well then again idk why I'm giving "tips" at streaming in the first place; I can't stream for shit :P
usa
I alternate, and I spam all streams except for really slow ones (<150 bpm). You could like, take a week or two off from osu! and go lift... Come back refreshed and stronger
Kanye West

USA wrote:

I spam all streams except for really slow ones (<150 bpm).
you're doing it wrong
VoidnOwO
:)
Kanye West
jesus christ, those hitsounds gave me a headache
Pizzicato
i salute you for playing with those kinds of hitsounds
Topic Starter
Jordan
Just tried streaming with autopilot + mouse hand and I noticed I don't have any problem streaming like that. My ring finger naturally stays up. Weird ;_; I'll try practicing from low to high BPM with my kb hand and see if the problem still persists...
Soarezi

BRBP wrote:

Aqo

Aqo wrote:

Jordan you passed Mendes DT? omg pro
ami pro nao?

Because spamming buttons is hard
buny
that vid obviously shows double tapping lol

yeah the hardest part to do is the last part with the zigzagged 1/2's (small area so suck at small zigzags).
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Aqo
more like Jordan meant he can pass it with actual streaming and not with doubletapping you ...
VoidnOwO
:)
lolcubes
I believe such a skill drop occurs because of lack of practice and the lack of general foundations of the base streaming skill.

A lot of people take streaming for granted and are able to do a certain BPM range quite flawlessly (this includes bpms above 220), however they cannot stream all BPMs (a lot of people struggle in 130~160 bpm range, myself included to an extent).
When streaming, my goal is to be able to stream as highest BPM as possible, but not a certain range, I want to be able to stream from lowest possible (basically alternating 1/2s in terms of slow speed, such as 100 BPM 1/4) to that highest possible. This takes insanely long amounts of time and drilling, but once you get that sorted, that will stay with you for a long time, and just an occasional practice will be enough to keep that skill alive.

Since I picked up alternating lately, I have to say that my streaming skill actually improved, at least in terms of accuracy when it comes to lower BPM range (up to 160 BPM 1/4), but that may not work for everyone.
Also, this all assumes that being able to stream doesn't actually mean being able to play streams to hit them all, but being able to hit streams in full 300 on at least OD7/8.

Higher BPMs are easier to stream because you don't need that much control over your actions, you just go really fast and try to keep it up as best as possible. When it comes to lower BPM streaming, you need to limit yourself and actually control your actions a lot more, which can be really hard at times. I currently struggle in 150~165 BPM range and any stream longer than 30 notes becomes quite tedious to do, just because of that control aspect which isn't trained that well.

I stopped playing standard a few months ago as well so my general skill dropped as well, but I did pickup Taiko a little bit, and I have to say that my streaming skill is better than it ever was. Could be because of Taiko, but I would want to believe it's because that game mode just makes my fingers move so they don't lose on stamina, while the base skill is still lying in there somewhere.
;)

tldr; No base streaming foundation was aquired, needs more practice. Start playing low BPM streams and work your way up as you master each BPM range, with increments of 5 or 10.
buny
i don't believe someone can go from streaming 250+ to -> ~170 from lack of practice, unless we aren't getting the whole story.
boat

BRBP wrote:

Yeah, and I also cheated because I used a tablet instead of a mouse. Alternative playing methods are so pathetic.
More like even I can doubletap 250bpm+ but can't stream over 210bpm regularly. The whole thing of "being able to pass mendes DT" was pretty silly in the first place as quite frankly anyone who's not trash tier could most probably do it. I do believe the key here is to actually stream and do it accurately rather than mashing buttons and praying for the better.
CXu
I am trash tier.
show more