forum

A question to anyone who streams

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Amanatsu
I'm basically looking for any suggestions for in-game settings on osu while I'm streaming. It's strange, I can stream most other games without any hiccups and such, but when I stream osu, despite having 500-some FPS (I know this makes no difference... technically) I still have hiccups on my side.

I enjoy streaming, but I also enjoy not missing notes due to the screen stuttering on my side. I know this all sounds really vague, but it's hard for me to explain. Basically it feels like a large FPS drop randomly during songs, yet there is no actual FPS drop. I thought it was the settings in my OBS, but I really doubt it considering osu is the only game I get this with.

Would it be better to change the settings on my OBS to capture ONLY the osu.exe client rather than my desktop? Does OBS try to capture things going on on my desktop while it also captures osu?

And no, my CPU/RAM usage are nowhere near 100% when I stream.
Triskelion91
Are you playing on windows mode?

If so, then it would be better to just capture the game source, and nothing else.
Topic Starter
Amanatsu
No, I play 1920x1080 borderless
TakuMii
Try putting a framerate limiter on osu!. The Unlimited setting sometimes has framerate spike issues, and this is somewhat increased when you're streaming.
And to avoid input delays at 120fps, go into your drivers and put "Maximum pre-rendered frames" (Nvidia)/"Flip queue size" (AMD) to the lowest setting (you can make it program-specific for osu! if you want because this will make low framerates choppier). You could instead change the framerate limit in your osu!.username.cfg (CustomFrameLimit), but this is unnecessary if you did the previous step because it'll provide no advantage over 120fps.
Topic Starter
Amanatsu
I'll give that a try tomorrow after finals.

Thanks!
Makar
use 60fps VSync when streaming. Not -completely- sure why but when streaming official OWC matches peppy told me it was best for it :p
remember to disable osu! settings like combo flame/video/storyboard as well
borderless is still window'd mode, so capture osu!.exe instead of screen area.
boat

Makar wrote:

use 60fps VSync when streaming. Not -completely- sure why but when streaming official OWC matches peppy told me it was best for it :p
remember toe disable osu! settings like combo flame/video/storyboard as well
Yeah and best of luck playing vsynced lmao.
Thatgooey
It honestly might just have something to do with OBS and your capture source. I stream everyday, but I use Xsplit. I believe they both have a Game Source feature, though, so maybe try using that? I know that Screen Region and Game Source for Xsplit used to give me stuttering frames on some games, and had to use each one for different games, but Game Source seems to be the most stable and performs the best. If your FPS is 500, and it feels choppy, this is probably the issue. Wish I knew more about OBS, or I could help more.
Espionage724
If the streaming program captures video from framebuffer, the bottleneck would likely be the PCI-E bus (the thing your GPU is likely using). As for options:

- Stream at a lower resolution (when streaming osu!, you likely don't need 1080p quality; 720p should be fine imo)
- Stream at a lower framerate (20-30 FPS is generally fine)
- Overclock PCI-E Bus (only try if you know what you're doing)
- Play osu! at a lower resolution

And for some suggestions
- Disable Shaders in osu! (the epic blurring thing; can cause artifacting of the stream when the blurring occurs)
- Make sure your GPU is running at your motherboard's max speed (if the PCI-E slot on your mobo is 2.0 x16, you want the GPU to also be able to run at 2.0 x16 speeds); only applies to streaming programs that use framebuffer

If the streaming program you use lets you select a window or area to stream, it likely isn't using framebuffer (G+ Hangouts, etc.). Anything hooking into the game likely is using framebuffer (Origin, Evolve, Xfire, etc.).

I use Evolve to stream, and it works very nicely :)
buny

boat wrote:

Makar wrote:

remember toe disable osu! settings like combo flame/video/storyboard as well
Yeah and best of luck playing vsynced lmao.
only if you're tablet
TakuMii

Makar wrote:

remember to disable osu! settings like combo flame/video/storyboard as well
borderless is still window'd mode, so capture osu!.exe instead of screen area.
Vsync adds input delay. I'm pretty sure the PCs they used for OWC were spectating, so that wouldn't matter. I wouldn't advise using Vsync when actually playing.
Topic Starter
Amanatsu
Hardcore necroing, but I managed to get it settled. Just overclocked my GPU a bit and everything works wonderfully. I guess it's just time for a new rig.

Thanks, guys!
Staiain
Use a HD webcam to capture your screen, set the camera to 30 fps as well as your stream, this will enable ou to stream without any lag at all