forum

Mechanical keyboard vs. normal keyboard.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kamruz Deleted
What keyboard is better for Osu!?
Mechanical or normal?

I want buy "Qpad MK-50" but i'm not sure whether to change.

PS. Sorry for my bad english ^^'
boat
Mechanical switches are generally by miles more responsive, comfortable to type (tap) on and are a hundred times more durable.

Although don't expect typing comfort on red switches such as in the mk-50. For osu! they'll work fine, in fact due to them being linear and the lightest switch they are supposedly ideal, for multipurpose go with black (linear just like the reds, but a bit heaver and as such got a bit more feedback), for typing comfort go browns (tactile), alternatively but I wouldn't personally recommend them, if you're on a strict budget blues will work fine (cheapest tactile switch).

It's more a matter of mechanical switches being better in all aspects in general, and within the range of mechanical switches there are good alternatives for tapping fast. Linear switches are generally preferred because you'll be bottoming it out without the tactile feedback and it'll bounce straight back up, and thus allowing you to tap fast, as illustrated in the images below.

It's all a matter of preference, and ideally you should just go and test some switches out.
Topic Starter
Kamruz Deleted
Thank you very much for answer <3
TakuMii
Mechanical keyboards are better than membrane keyboards in every way, but it's a matter of picking which mechanical switches to get depending on your needs or preferences.

Blue: tactile, audible click. Great for typing. Probably not ideal for osu! (and arguably other games) since the depression point is lower than the release point, making it somewhat more difficult to rapidly press.

Brown: slightly less tactile, non-audible click. Much lighter to press compared to Blues. I have one of these, and other than the click, they feel like reds. These work for general purpose, as they're good for gaming and good for typing. The click is at the same point both ways. In osu!, the lightness helps for streaming, and the click helps for accuracy.

Red: No tactile click. These are the lightest type of keys, and because of this they're great for streaming. Some people like these due to how easy and fast they are to press down, but for typing they aren't ideal as it may lead to spelling mistakes.

Black: No tactile click. Stiffer than the other keys. I haven't tried these, but they're generally good for gaming since you don't really need a tactile click if you're going to be holding them down most of the time (for games such as FPSes). The stiffer switches help prevent accidental presses, but they might also make it more tiring to stream in osu!.

With the information above, keep in mind that preference is a factor in picking a keyboard. Personally though, I'd say that if you're getting a keyboard just for osu!, get brown or red switches, depending on if you want your keys to have a tactile click or not.
SigLogicalMaxiss

YayMii wrote:

Mechanical keyboards are better than membrane keyboards in every way, but it's a matter of picking which mechanical switches to get depending on your needs or preferences.

Blue: tactile, audible click. Great for typing. Probably not ideal for osu! (and arguably other games) since the depression point is lower than the release point, making it somewhat more difficult to rapidly press.

Brown: slightly less tactile, non-audible click. Much lighter to press compared to Blues. I have one of these, and other than the click, they feel like reds. These work for general purpose, as they're good for gaming and good for typing. The click is at the same point both ways. In osu!, the lightness helps for streaming, and the click helps for accuracy.

Red: No tactile click. These are the lightest type of keys, and because of this they're great for streaming. Some people like these due to how easy and fast they are to press down, but for typing they aren't ideal as it may lead to spelling mistakes.

Black: No tactile click. Stiffer than the other keys. I haven't tried these, but they're generally good for gaming since you don't really need a tactile click if you're going to be holding them down most of the time (for games such as FPSes). The stiffer switches help prevent accidental presses, but they might also make it more tiring to stream in osu!.

With the information above, keep in mind that preference is a factor in picking a keyboard. Personally though, I'd say that if you're getting a keyboard just for osu!, get brown or red switches, depending on if you want your keys to have a tactile click or not.

Correction,Red's and Brown's Springs needs 45g of actuation point making both of them the lightest in the cherry switches family,followed by blues with 55g and blacks with 60g,
TakuMii

SigLogicalMaxiss wrote:

Correction,Red's and Brown's Springs needs 45g of actuation point making both of them the lightest in the cherry switches family,followed by blues with 55g and blacks with 60g,
You're right about the springs, but Brown requires 55g and Blue requires 60g of force to push through the tactile bump. Red doesn't have a bump and only requires 45g of force, therefore it is still the lightest.
Cropzy
Take a look at this guide.
SigLogicalMaxiss
While it's arguemently true that the browns have a peak force of 50g,that doesn't mean you need 50g to press it down,the 50g only happens when you're close to bottoming out.

What matters in osu is the actuation force not the peak force.

TakuMii

SigLogicalMaxiss wrote:

While it's arguemently true that the browns have a peak force of 50g,that doesn't mean you need 50g to press it down,the 50g only happens when you're close to bottoming out.

Actuation force is the minimal amount of force you're applying as you pass the actuation point. The tactile force is the minimal amount of force to push through the tactile bump, and this occurs before the actuation point. The peak force on a tactile switch could be on the bump rather than at the bottom, depending on the type of switch.

Anyways, Browns have a tactile force of 55g, and therefore it does require 55g to press down. Therefore, Reds are the lightest types of switch. If you don't believe me, check out these nice graphs:
SigLogicalMaxiss

YayMii wrote:

SigLogicalMaxiss wrote:

Actuation force is the minimal amount of force you're applying as you pass the actuation point. The tactile force is the minimal amount of force to push through the tactile bump, and this occurs before the actuation point. The peak force on a tactile switch could be on the bump rather than at the bottom, depending on the type of switch.

Anyways, Browns have a tactile force of 55g, and therefore it does require 55g to press down. Therefore, Reds are the lightest types of switch. If you don't believe me, check out these nice graphs:
Oinari-sama
The guide doesn't really give accurate indication of the actuation force.

I read the same guide before, when I was choosing which mech kb to buy. I was lucky enough to visit a shop in Sydney that displays Ducky kb with all 4 switches. Red feels a lot lighter than brown (due to the tactile feedback) so there's no way that brown=red=45g (FYI I did NOT bottom out). I guess it has something to do with the cap+spring on top of the switches.

The best way is to try it out yourself.

(For those living in Sydney, the shop I mentioned is called Futachi, in Lv1 of Capitol Square)
Purple
All different Cherry MX switches have their uses for osu!, though I wouldn't get something heavier than blacks. It all depends on what you want/need.

If you want to maximize speed and stamina, go for reds.
If you require tactile feedback (which might in turn help your accuracy), go for clears or buckling springs. Linear switches (reds and blacks) dont provide any tactile feedback, so it may take a while to get used to them. Both Cookiezi and thelewa, very accurate players, use reds.
If you want to get some good balance, go for browns, blues or, even better, Topres. I don't hear many good things about browns though.

Most people will say blacks are useless for osu! compared to reds, but they may help you by providing some more cushion for your fingers to avoid bottoming out. I use reds, though I'm planning to mod my keyboard this week to include all useful Cherry switches, including some modded ones. I might post my findings.

Overall, if you intend on playing osu! for hundred of hours, do not keep a rubber dome keyboard. They will only harm your fingers. Look for a mechanical number pad if you don't want to spend 100$ just for osu!. Get a pcb-mounted keyboard if you are interested in modding.
Babukus

Purple wrote:

If you want to get some good balance, go for browns, blues or, even better, Topres. I don't hear many good things about browns.
I've had browns for quite a while and they've served well so far. They are still nice and accurate, just not as much as reds of course.

Browns are able to be pressed rather quickly as well. I'm able to have great accuracy as well.
Purple
I've had browns for quite a while and they've served well so far. They are still nice and accurate, just not as much as reds of course.

Browns are able to be pressed rather quickly as well. I'm able to have great accuracy as well.
I'm only saying that because of all the trash thelewa talked about them in his ask.fm page. I'll have a chance to try them out soon. And yes you're right, they are the second best choice for speed after reds.
TakuMii

Babukus wrote:

Purple wrote:

If you want to get some good balance, go for browns, blues or, even better, Topres. I don't hear many good things about browns.

Browns are able to be pressed rather quickly as well.
Reds are more for stamina and speed, rather than accuracy. Browns have the click that really helps with accuracy, while the Red completely lacks it. FYI, a handful of people in the StepMania and FFR communities actually recommend Browns over Reds because of this.
Jordan
tfw i'm the only black switches player in osu
Synchrostar

Jordan wrote:

hi
buny

Jordan wrote:

i am too and so are a lot of people
Jafem
I have had this normal keyboard and i am planning on getting a mechanical keyboard. Just not sure what type of keyboard...
Cropzy

Jordan wrote:

Cm storm quickfire rapid mx blacks here.
maal

Jordan wrote:

actually the two most common keyboards in osu are blues and blacks
TakuMii

maal wrote:

Jordan wrote:

actually the two most common keyboards in osu are blues and blacks
but blues aren't that great for rhythm games
and a lot of the top players use reds
VoidnOwO
:)
Jordan
dafuq i thought most common were reds and blues x_x
Kanye West
Blues and reds are most common for osu, not in general though.
DJKero
Mech for the win!